Broncos 2016 Squad

Re: Broncos - 2016 Speculation/Discussion

Is Thaiday the only player we have signed after 2017 then?

I really want Jai Arrow to get a crack next season, I think Wayne actually made a mistake this year not blooding him through the origin period, I was just looking at his stats for the NYC this year, they're absolutely monstrous.

Average Hit-Ups per game - 15.3
Average Metres per game - 152.7
Average Offloads per game - 2.2
Average Tackles per game - 29.2
Average Missed per game - 1.4
Average Errors per game - 0.3

Misses are a little highe considering it would probably be doubled in nrl. Whats his height/weight?

30 tackles with 1.4 missed is perfectly acceptable.

Arrow: 189cm, 95kg
Parker: 188cm, 102kg

$1.2m over 3 years apparently, pretty reasonable I guess considering the cap will be going up. I'm guessing that's the last of our spare cap room for next season goneskies, hopefully after next season we'll have a little bit more to work with (I think we stop paying Barba & co. after next year)

400,000 a season for Thaiday ?? That's a great deal on current form.. lol at trent merrin commanding 750,000

And once Barba is off the cap we will have some room to re-sign key players or sign others too. Thaiday wanted his contract, his played well for it this season so let's just hope he doesn't fall back into old habits.

Last edited:

And once Barba is off the cap we will have some room to re-sign key players or sign others too. Thaiday wanted his contract, his played well for it this season so let's just hope he doesn't fall back into old habits.

how is he even still on our cap ... i read that the Sharks contract is 800k a season, which is what his contract with us reportedly was.

Taylor and Nikorima may have been the two stand-outs of the NYC squad, but in terms of who's been the best players week in week out, it's difficult to look past Byrnes and Arrow.

Arrow reminds me a lot of Parker. Not necessarily the biggest or flashiest forward, but a real grafter who constantly puts his hand up and uses his foot-work to try and squirm his way through the defence and pick up metres. In concert with his ability to offload, there are times where it feels like you're watching the first grade side.

Personally, I called for him to be selected over Boyce during that Newcastle game. I just thought he was one of our best forwards in reserve grade and even rated his form above the likes of Ofahengaue and Molo. However Wayne opted for Boyce and in fairness Joe had plenty of experience playing at that particular arena and did his job on the night. It was a fair decision by Wayne and I'm sure it won't jeopardise Jai's future at the club. In fact, one of the first things Wayne did was sign him to a three year deal, so I'm sure there's plenty of confidence in his ability.

Taylor and Nikorima may have been the two stand-outs of the NYC squad, but in terms of who's been the best players week in week out, it's difficult to look past Byrnes and Arrow.

Arrow reminds me a lot of Parker. Not necessarily the biggest or flashiest forward, but a real grafter who constantly puts his hand up and uses his foot-work to try and squirm his way through the defence and pick up metres. In concert with his ability to offload, there are times where it feels like you're watching the first grade side.

Personally, I called for him to be selected over Boyce during that Newcastle game. I just thought he was one of our best forwards in reserve grade and even rated his form above the likes of Ofahengaue and Molo. However Wayne opted for Boyce and in fairness Joe had plenty of experience playing at that particular arena and did his job on the night. It was a fair decision by Wayne and I'm sure it won't jeopardise Jai's future at the club. In fact, one of the first things Wayne did was sign him to a three year deal, so I'm sure there's plenty of confidence in his ability.

Not sure of facts but we seem to have lost a few games whilst Byrnes was out. He's probably my favourite NYC player at the moment. It's a pity Bennett brought Boyd to Brisbane and is keeping Byrnes out of first grade! Just kidding.

With the news that Dodds is off to England, I'd say that pretty much solidifies our starting 17 for next season, barring any injury.

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Reed
4. Kahu
5. Maranta
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Gillett / Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Wallace / Molo / Ofahengaue
15. Gavet / Molo / Ofahengaue
16. Thaiday / Gillett
17. Nikorima

Last edited:

I don't think the center position is by any means certain...

And depending who gets selected in the centers could change who gets selected on the wings.

Reed should by no means be a certainty in the centers. .. Because apart from a 6 week period this year, he has been pretty poor over the past 3 years.

We'd have lost last night without Reed. When your man grows hands on his wrists instead of feet and then learns how to defend, you may find others will agree.

The Courier Mail gave him a 5 out of 10. I don't think he was particularly great last night. Not necessarily poor either

The Courier Mail gave him a 5 out of 10. I don't think he was particularly great last night. Not necessarily poor either

Yeah and they also gave Gillette a 5. I think we can both agree he deserves higher, not to mention the 4 that hodges got...

Reed's defence was one of the major factors in our win last night, it's as simple as that.

With the news that Dodds is off to England, I'd say that pretty much solidifies our starting 17 for next season, barring any injury.

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Reed
4. Kahu
5. Maranta
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Gillett / Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Wallace / Molo / Ofahengaue
15. Gavet / Molo / Ofahengaue
16. Thaiday / Gillett
17. Nikorima

I still don't understand why people put Gillett, our most consistently effective back rower on the bench. The agenda driven shit on this place is so irritating

Yeah and they also gave Gillette a 5. I think we can both agree he deserves higher, not to mention the 4 that hodges got...

Reed's defence was one of the major factors in our win last night, it's as simple as that.

I don't know what article you are reading because both Gillett and Hodges were given 7s

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-suncorp-stadium/story-fniabm4i-1227524577083

My opinion isn't just based on last night ... When Reed plays well he is a quality player ... But he only plays to that standard 25% of the time (and tgat may even be a bit generous).

Near enough is good enough is something that we saw plenty of under Griffin, i certainly don't want ti see it under Bennett.

I still don't understand why people put Gillett, our most consistently effective back rower on the bench. The agenda driven shit on this place is so irritating

Excuse me? I think you'll find he's in my starting line-up, with the option of him rotating with Thaiday.

Cmon mate, going by the courier mail ratings? **** talk about straw grasping.

My next door neighbour has more credibility than travis meyn and he reckons copley is shit.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Broncorob
  • Fitzy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Waynesaurus
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosarethebest
  • FACTHUNT
  • Mr Fourex
  • Wolfie
  • Old Mate
  • broncos4life
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.