Broncos 2016 Squad

Re: Broncos - 2016 Speculation/Discussion

Anyone know how much money we have left in the salary cap for next year? 300k? 500k? 700k?

I presume there is some room with hodges retiring and the club not having to subsidise barbers contract next year but I would be interested to know if anyone has any idea of what there is left.

This would obviously have a big impact on what player(s) we could or could not potentially sign.

We've got another year of Barba money, haven't we?

Barba's was a two year deal IIRC

NEW Cronulla recruit Ben Barba will continue to be paid by the Broncos for the next two years, but has no qualms declaring he wants to exact revenge on them after being shown the door at Brisbane.Barba was released just one year into a three-year contract with the Broncos, and as part of the deal negotiated with the Sharks, Brisbane will contribute a hefty amount to his new three-year contract at Cronulla, estimated to be worth $2.1 million in total.
Barba will happily take the Broncos’ money but still plans to make them pay on the field after new coach Wayne Bennett told him to look elsewhere.
Damn, still another year to go.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...bennetts-broncos/story-fni3gol8-1227122290656

I'd like Offa to be in qcup getting decent minutes next year. Molo/Gavet/Wallaca (possibly Dodds). Can share the bench next year. Molo had more impact IMO as well.

My ideal team for 2016 ... Assuming all players are fit.

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Copley
4. Kahu
5. Maranta
6. Milford
7. Hunt (c)
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair - I know, I'm shocked too.
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Nikorima
15. Thaiday
16. Gavet - not sold on him, but deserves a chance to prove himself.
17. Ofahengue

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Copley
4. Kahu
5. Maranta
6. Milford
7. Hunt (c)
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Nikorima
15. Thaiday
17. Ofahengue

Coach?

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Copley
4. Kahu
5. Maranta
6. Milford
7. Hunt (c)
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Nikorima
15. Thaiday
17. Ofahengue
Besides Hodges, how close would this team be to the one you would have started 2015 with?

Besides Hodges, how close would this team be to the one you would have started 2015 with?

A bit off ... Because i would have gone with (to start 2015):

1. Milford
2. Boyd
15. Blair
No Maranta
I would have also had Garbutt somewhere

It'd be 2014 all over again, no five eighth.

It'd be 2014 all over again, no five eighth.

At the time i was in favour of us keeping Barba because i thought Bennett could have got him back to his brilliant best...

In fact i still find it hard to believe that Hasler is the only coach to get quality from him.

I also would have been okay with Taylor getting a shot.

But that was at the start of the year ... Things change

I thought Barba played well under Moore - 15 tries in 2010, 23 in 2011.

But that was playing to his strengths. At the Bulldogs, he had a good understanding of those around him and his timing was impeccable. At the Broncos, he was expected to be more of a playmaker and that was always going to end in tears.

Unfortunately for him, Cronulla made the same mistake.

In hindsight, it's a shame he didn't go to the ESL. He could have killed it over there and enticed a club to bring him in as their fullback for 2016 or 17.

I think this will be the side in Round 1.

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Reed
4. Kahu
5. Maranta
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Wallace
15. Gavet
16. Thaiday
17. Nikorima

Copley could get back in the side. It will depend on whether he has shown improvement in the areas Bennett said he needed to improve in.

At the moment, Reed is the most likely option for that left centre position.

Last edited:

At the time i was in favour of us keeping Barba because i thought Bennett could have got him back to his brilliant best...

In fact i still find it hard to believe that Hasler is the only coach to get quality from him.

I also would have been okay with Taylor getting a shot.

But that was at the start of the year ... Things change

"Things change" ..? Yeah, the right people who know what they're actually doing are in charge of the team.

Give credit where is due.

This year has been an outstanding success

If I were Bennett, brand new Premiership or not, I would be putting Gavet through extensive examination in the off season to prove he is the capably aggressive bench prop that we need, because the window to sign somebody decent to do it will close fast after the GF.

How good is it to have a team that can score tries from our own half.I remember 3-4 years ago we scored 2 tries in the whole season from inside our own half.We had no speed in the backline..No creativity in the halves and nothing to get excited about playing Griffin Ball.We were up in arms because our team had no xfactor.Now look at our team. Something to be excited about for years to come. I feel this is a great reward for us supporters for sticking by the team week in week out no matter what the circumstances. Not that when your a passionate supporter you have a choice lol ... Loving the way we play the game now! Go the Broncos... Let's get some revenge on those Cowgirls!

If I were Bennett, brand new Premiership or not, I would be putting Gavet through extensive examination in the off season to prove he is the capably aggressive bench prop that we need, because the window to sign somebody decent to do it will close fast after the GF.

Unless you are thinking about the club off loading him to another we still have to pay him his contract so it doesn't really help us sign anyone. Even if a club wanted him we would still foot the majority of the cost if history is an indication.

Gavet was a Bennett signing so I doubt he is going anywhere.

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  • Skathen
  • pennywisealfie
  • Santa
  • scobie
  • ivanhungryjak
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.