Broncos 2016 Squad

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Losses - Daniel Vidot, Justin Hodges, Ashley Taylor, Jayden Nikorima, Matt Parcell, Todd Lowrie, David Stagg.
Gains -

1. Darius Boyd
2. Corey Oates
3. Jack Reed
4. Jordan Kahu
5. Lachlan Maranta
6. Anthony Milford
7. Ben Hunt (c)
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Adam Blair
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker

14. Joe Ofahengaue
15. James Gavet
16. Sam Thaiday
17. Kodi Nikorima

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Broncos - 2016 Speculation/Discussion

**** me ... how about we worry about this season before we start thinking about next

Never too early to speculate about next season.

If Glenn and Thaiday leave, I can see the Broncos signing Beau Scott. Thankfully I don't see that happening and can see us holding onto at least one if not both.

I'm more interested in seeing which juniors will come up through the grades. Can see Arrow challenging for a bench spot while others train with the senior squad (eg. Hipgrave, Collins, TeRupe etc.)

Yeah the 4th bench spot was a toss up between Arrow & Boyce, they're both young, both good defensively. Not sure which I'd prefer to blood first.

I'm still hopeful of keeping Glenn, think he's got quite a bit more to offer, especially outside da Milf

I don't want Boyce anywhere near the team.

I don't want Boyce anywhere near the team.

You're welcome to elaborate rather than just badmouthing my selections.

I haven't seen him play apart from the Nines I don't think, so I have absolutely no idea what he's like, I figure he's 2 years older than Arrow, plays the same position as Arrow, more likely to be blooded first.

I wasn't criticising your selections, I merely saw him as a placeholder because you moved on four backrows.

He's a younger version of Todd Lowrie. Has some ball skills, has some good attention to detail about his play but has mistakes in him and doesn't particularly excel in any area.

I can see him getting a shot at some point and it won't be the end of the world but the Broncos have better on their roster.

Plus, Arrow is only a year younger.

FYI, I've written 15 000 mini essays on here. I (and everyone else) deserve a break every once and a while. :laugh:

Last edited:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-signed-urgently/story-fniabm4i-1227279978779

In a major endorsement of “Heir Jordan”, Hodges believes the Broncos have found the attacking weapon to succeed him in the No. 4 jumper as he enters his twilight years in the NRL.

“I definitely see him replacing me one day,” Hodges said.

“Jordy is an exceptional talent, especially with his hands. We saw against the Cowboys he’s got those quick releases and that’s something he works on every day.

“When my time is up here, he will be ready to replace me.

“I hope we can keep him here. I only have a couple of years left at the Broncos so he’s a guy who can step up when I’m not around.”

“It’s been two years now since I had my last reconstruction so my confidence is getting there,” Kahu said.

“My step will eventually get there but only time can build that confidence in my knee.

“Obviously Darius is coming back and I’m not the first-choice fullback, but I’m trying to be the best player I can be.

“I’ve been trying to run the ball back as hard as I can and hopefully when the boys see that, it gives them confidence too.

“I still feel I have more to give to the club. I’m not worried about my future, I’m just trying to get better every week.”

I suppose it's not in the realm of impossibility that Bennett doesn't re-sign Copley and goes with a Centre pairing of Kahu & Hodges in 2016, Kahu & Gagai in 2017..

Just depends how Wayne rates Dale and whether he thinks Jordan is up to it.

I think the big departures will be Vidot, Thaiday, Reed, and (a wild guess) Macca. I expect to see a very different forward pack next year.

I think the big departures will be Vidot, Thaiday, Reed, and (a wild guess) Macca. I expect to see a very different forward pack next year.

Macca's not going anywhere. If he were the club wouldn't be starting to negotiate a new deal AFTER Bennett arrived. Toss up between Glenn and Thaiday. Glenn will only go if he gets overs as there's already proof he'll beat out Thaiday for a starting spot unless someone like Oates gets moved to 2nd row ahead of both.

** Will keep OP updated with all signings and departures **

This is all completely speculation at the moment, plenty of rumours going around.. What 17 do you think we'll end up with next season? This is an extremely rough draft, because it's impossible to know who Wayne might retain or poach from other clubs, at the moment this is probably what we're looking it, but who knows if Wayne will re-sign Glenn/Thaiday.

The bench is also mainly props because of the proposed interchange changes, there'll be no room for a utility / spare hooker.

Losses - Daniel Vidot, Sam Thaiday, Alex Glenn, Todd Lowrie, David Stagg.
Gains - Dane Gagai, TBA, TBA, TBA.

1. Darius Boyd
2. Jordan Kahu
3. Dale Copley
4. Justin Hodges (c)
5. Dane Gagai
6. Anthony Milford
7. Ben Hunt
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Adam Blair
11. Corey Oates
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker

14. Joe Ofahengaue
15. Jarrod Wallace
16. James Gavet
17. Joe Boyce
Not a bad first up go Unbreakable except i think you could go for a utility as i believe McGuire can push out big minutes under the new interchange rule which means a utility in the Nikorima mold could have a big influence against tiring forwards

** Will keep OP updated with all signings and departures **

This is all completely speculation at the moment, plenty of rumours going around.. What 17 do you think we'll end up with next season? This is an extremely rough draft, because it's impossible to know who Wayne might retain or poach from other clubs, at the moment this is probably what we're looking it, but who knows if Wayne will re-sign Glenn/Thaiday.

The bench is also mainly props because of the proposed interchange changes, there'll be no room for a utility / spare hooker.

Losses - Daniel Vidot, Sam Thaiday, Alex Glenn, Todd Lowrie, David Stagg.
Gains - Dane Gagai, TBA, TBA, TBA.

1. Darius Boyd
2. Jordan Kahu
3. Dale Copley
4. Justin Hodges (c)
5. Dane Gagai
6. Anthony Milford
7. Ben Hunt
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Adam Blair
11. Corey Oates
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker

14. Joe Ofahengaue
15. Jarrod Wallace
16. James Gavet
17. Joe Boyce

I think it will work the opposite way, if they reduce the interchange, small players will become a commodity again. Big guys getting tired having to play longer minutes. At the end of each half halves and hookers will be running.

..and Wayne will be gone in 2017, and have cleared out the senior playing ranks.

Then it will be up to caretaker coach 1 (Kevvie) to attempt to replicate Bennett's style for 2 seasons before an acrimonious dumping to another caretaker coach 2 replicating Bennett's style, rinse repeat, until you get a revolution from the club that its identity and only formula for success involves some link to Wayne Bennett and past successes.

Sometime around 2020 we should have a new coach, solid roster with a good balance and a new culture that isn't Bennett + X = Success.

Great coach. Great years through the 1990s. A legend of the club. But what's in the future? The NRL landscape, TV rights and corporate dollars are going to be different. There will be a second team in Brisbane by 2020.

The Broncos look like they're content to rest on tried and tested history which is undeniably tied to a monopoly on the junior talent and fan base in the region, which will be remarkably eroded by a second team.

Broncos take that monopoly pipeline on talent and fans for granted now. How they grapple with that over the next few years is this generation's greatest issue.

My feeling is our next premiership window is entirely based around Hunt's progression in the next 2 seasons. Is he a flash in the pan, or a true franchise player, like DCE?

Darius Boyd is a mercenary. Milford will be make or break next year. The pessimist in me says WB will do more to break him but I hope to be proven wrong. Macca and Hunt have history and chemistry. McGuire is our next forward leader. Joe Ofehengaue is our next Orign star.

I'm not sold on Oates as the core of the second row. Gillett... enigmatic.

Outside backs. Wouldn' be suprised if there's 3 rookies there over the next few years Gagai would be a coup, but he's a different mould to Hodges (see the trend here - trying to copy history's mould for success). Copley's 2015 is big - can he keep ramping up 2014?

At the end of each half halves and hookers will be running.

At which point it'll be beneficial to have fresh front rowers on the field, it works both ways, I can see some teams stacking up with 4 big men and some teams going with a utility or even two.

..and Wayne will be gone in 2017, and have cleared out the senior playing ranks.

Then it will be up to caretaker coach 1 (Kevvie) to attempt to replicate Bennett's style for 2 seasons before an acrimonious dumping to another caretaker coach 2 replicating Bennett's style, rinse repeat, until you get a revolution from the club that its identity and only formula for success involves some link to Wayne Bennett and past successes.

Sometime around 2020 we should have a new coach, solid roster with a good balance and a new culture that isn't Bennett + X = Success.

Great coach. Great years through the 1990s. A legend of the club. But what's in the future? The NRL landscape, TV rights and corporate dollars are going to be different. There will be a second team in Brisbane by 2020.

The Broncos look like they're content to rest on tried and tested history which is undeniably tied to a monopoly on the junior talent and fan base in the region, which will be remarkably eroded by a second team.

Broncos take that monopoly pipeline on talent and fans for granted now. How they grapple with that over the next few years is this generation's greatest issue.

My feeling is our next premiership window is entirely based around Hunt's progression in the next 2 seasons. Is he a flash in the pan, or a true franchise player, like DCE?

Darius Boyd is a mercenary. Milford will be make or break next year. The pessimist in me says WB will do more to break him but I hope to be proven wrong. Macca and Hunt have history and chemistry. McGuire is our next forward leader. Joe Ofehengaue is our next Orign star.

Outside backs. Wouldn' be suprised if there's 3 rookies there over the next few years Gagai would be a coup, but he's a different mould to Hodges (see the trend here - trying to copy history's mould for success). Copley's 2015 is big - can he keep ramping up 2014?

Isn't Bellamy leaving Melbourne around 2017? He used to be Bennett's assistant, maybe he can tempt him to return to the Broncos.

There will most likely be an external draft for rookies by that stage meaning no one will have a monopoly

I think it will work the opposite way, if they reduce the interchange, small players will become a commodity again. Big guys getting tired having to play longer minutes. At the end of each half halves and hookers will be running.

thats what I was thinking too

if there are less opportunities to change out big men, you would then need less of them sitting around waiting to be swapped in

I think the rule will increase the value of the Niko type bench player

Isn't Bellamy leaving Melbourne around 2017? He used to be Bennett's assistant, maybe he can tempt him to return to the Broncos.

He is retiring from coaching all together after next season and it will be a major shock if Bennett leaves after next year.

Active Now

• Organix
  • mieko
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • broncsgoat
  • Midean
  • Fozz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wolfie
  • eggstar10
  • Strop
  • Bish
  • KeithustEndaf
  • Cavalo
  • theshed
  • kman
  • Santa
  • Old Mate
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.