Broncos 2020 Squad

Yeah even his stats were far more impressive at lock, so I'm not surprised to learn that. Even still I think the 17 jersey is up for grabs, if Jamil has a couple of big games in the trials, wouldn't rule him out. Kennedy was good last season, without being great.

It probably also depends on what Seibold opts to do in regards to the starting line-up, if we we have TPJ & Carrigan starting with Flegler & Joffa on the bench, we'd probably have more use for a mobile lock with tackle busting ability than another run of the mill prop.

Could also open up Bird playing there as well if we go a different path for our fullback.

I don't care what happened at the Nines, Milf still looks primed for redemption season.

View attachment 7166

I don't care what happened at the Nines, Milf still looks primed for redemption season.

Ironically this looks in the most fullback appropriate shape of his career. I know it didn’t work wonders last season but if he spent a whole offseason training for it and didn’t have to play a fullback/halfback hybrid role I still think he could be a great option at the back.

9. Turpin
7. Croft
6. Dearden
5. Coates/Farnworth
4. Staggs
3. Bird
2. Oates
1. Milford

14. Paix

That’s an exciting spine and backline.

Ironically this looks in the most fullback appropriate shape of his career. I know it didn’t work wonders last season but if he spent a whole offseason training for it and didn’t have to play a fullback/halfback hybrid role I still think he could be a great option at the back.

9. Turpin
7. Croft
6. Dearden
5. Coates/Farnworth
4. Staggs
3. Bird
2. Oates
1. Milford

14. Paix

That’s an exciting spine and backline.

I was pro five-eighth for a long time but with Milf at the back the biggest pro is we can have Dearden in the team. I think Croft will do wonders but I don’t want to see Dearden go either and that spine would solve that eventual problem

I really like the idea of that spine to start the season too and don’t mind Isaako being punted to reserve grade. Both Staggs and Farnworth can goal kick and both add more to the side than Isaako at his current level.

Yes I know there are reasons he was poor last year but he can regain form in reserve grade. The side last year carried too many passengers and frankly, they weren’t good enough then and aren’t good enough to do that.

I really struggle to think of reasons to retain Milf quite frankly, particularly at anything near his current wage.

I really like the idea of that spine to start the season too and don’t mind Isaako being punted to reserve grade. Both Staggs and Farnworth can goal kick and both add more to the side than Isaako at his current level.

Yes I know there are reasons he was poor last year but he can regain form in reserve grade. The side last year carried too many passengers and frankly, they weren’t good enough then and aren’t good enough to do that.

I really struggle to think of reasons to retain Milf quite frankly, particularly at anything near his current wage.

I’m a huge Milf supporter and if he can reach the level he has shown he can play at then I’m all for keeping him. He’s an amazing talent. Dearden has shown glimpses of being a very good half, and I think he is better suited to 5/8th. Croft is a solid organiser on a modest enough wage. 3 should become 2 by next season and it’s a great headache for the club to have. Hopefully it will push Milford back to performing at his best but if not we finally have enough options that moving Milf on won’t set us back. The area we are really lacking at the moment is a first class fullback, hopefully Bird can be that. Considering our position regarding halves, you would at the moment trade Bird and Milford for a Ponga/RTS/Tedesco on a similar combined price and then chuck Boyd, Macca, and Kahu’s money at upgrades and a solid centre.

these are the legacy defining choices facing our Board and young coach.

Are people still expecting Ofahengaue to be available in Round 1? I'd have thought he was a decent chance to miss at least a game or two for his recent misdemeanour?

Personally I think for the start of the season at least we will see Bird at fullback, Milford will play 6 and Croft 7, Isaako to the wing, which will allow Seibs for whatever reason to still fit Boyd in at centre.

Deardon is certainly showing good signs, but to accommodate him in the halves, Milford would most likely be the one that would have to go to fullback which means Bird has to go back to centre, room is fast running out for Boyd.

I'm just not sure Seibs is ready yet to make the tough call and leave Boyd out.

Personally I think for the start of the season at least we will see Bird at fullback, Milford will play 6 and Croft 7, Isaako to the wing, which will allow Seibs for whatever reason to still fit Boyd in at centre.

Deardon is certainly showing good signs, but to accommodate him in the halves, Milford would most likely be the one that would have to go to fullback which means Bird has to go back to centre, room is fast running out for Boyd.

Milford hasn't trained at fullback all off season ... the experiment has come to an end.

if he was going to play there at all this season, he needed a full pre-season of training there to get him ready ... he hasn't

Last edited:

If Boyd doesnt perform in the trials i cant see him being picked as Seibs has already said trial form is important.

Milford hasn't trained at fullback all off season ... the experiment has come to an end.

if he was going to play their at all this season, he needed a full pre-season of training there to get him ready ... he hasn't

Exactly, that is why I believe Seibs will try Bird at fullback until he is either injured or the move fails and Boyd is finally given the chop.

Insert [Isaako]
JI Gym

[automerge]1582245775[/automerge]

Insert [Boyd]

Last edited:
So just read that Boyd is a certain for left centre and that's an absolute joke. He isn't a centre never was never will be. We shouldn't have to make room in out backs for this has been. We have some young strong fast backs that won't be played because he won't step down. We won't win the premiership while he is still playing. You look at other sides backs and they have so much strike in them and Boyd also has to consistently defend against them and I don't believe he's up for that at all.
Just Retire Boyd

So just read that Boyd is a certain for left centre and that's an absolute joke. He isn't a centre never was never will be. We shouldn't have to make room in out backs for this has been. We have some young strong fast backs that won't be played because he won't step down. We won't win the premiership while he is still playing. You look at other sides backs and they have so much strike in them and Boyd also has to consistently defend against them and I don't believe he's up for that at all.
Just Retire Boyd

Remember the 15 game clause. If Boyd is trash at centre (which is pretty much inevitable IMO), there is every likelihood he'll be dropped cold. The club doesn't have to worry about the media scrum surrounding dropping their captain straight to reserve grade anymore, it's just another case of an ordinary player being dropped for poor performance.

Based on Seibold's comments, I'd say if Bird wins the Fullback jersey, Isaako will be in QCUP.

"One thing I will say about Jamayne is that I think he is a fullback and not a winger. I have persisted with him on the wing last year but I think he is a fullback," Seibold said.

“He can play multiple positions and has played on the wing for New Zealand. I go into it with a pretty open mind.

"Jack has been rewarded for his performance from last weekend. Jamayne has to work on some parts of his game and he knows what they are.

“They will split the game this week. I am a big believer that if you get the jersey, and Jack had the number one jersey last week, and you perform well then you keep the jersey.

"Xavier Coates has done a tremendous job on the right wing throughout pre-season and he has got an opportunity to wear that jersey this weekend.

“Oatesy [Corey Oates] is still to come back so Herbie Farnworth gets an opportunity [on the left wing]. It is weight of performance. I can’t be any clearer than that."

Remember the 15 game clause. If Boyd is trash at centre (which is pretty much inevitable IMO), there is every likelihood he'll be dropped cold. The club doesn't have to worry about the media scrum surrounding dropping their captain straight to reserve grade anymore, it's just another case of an ordinary player being dropped for poor performance.

I dont think this mythical 15 game clause actually exists.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Organix
  • Fitzy
  • Lozza
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Johnny92
  • Mustafur
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • bazza
  • Dash
  • winslow_wong
  • Skyblues87
  • Rough and Ready
  • LittleDavey
  • Horseheadsup
  • Scorchie
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.