Broncos 2020 Squad

Melbourne are shedding players left right and centre and don't seem to be signing replacements. Their Squad is down to 22-24 players. Why am I posting this on a Broncos forum? Well, maybe they will be coming for some of our fringe players. I know there are salary cap issues but potentially some outside backs like Bird (We'd have to pay serious freight), Perese, Farnworth, Perese, Niu or they are clearing the decks for a big signing in 2021.⁷

Also, according to the Mole (So some will doubt it straight away), Warriors were interested in Macca but

With vunivalu confirmed as leaving and addo-carr rumours, i wouldnt be surprised if the were setting their sights on herbie and/or coates. I would be pretty disappointed if we lost them as they were obviously passionate about playing with the broncos on their debut and have a bunch of talent.

With vunivalu confirmed as leaving and addo-carr rumours, i wouldnt be surprised if the were setting their sights on herbie and/or coates. I would be pretty disappointed if we lost them as they were obviously passionate about playing with the broncos on their debut and have a bunch of talent.
The only other thing I can think of is that they are paying more out of next years cap to retain players and freeing up space in future years.

They're looking to extend Herbie and Coates is signed til 2021 I think. Hopefully there's a bit of cap space at the end of 2020 that we use to extend and not go to market.

I think we will see Michael Purcell at the Storm.

I actually think that Cam Smith has probably backed them into salary cap corner. They wanted him to go just one more year (2019) but he pushed for another 2 year contract (as well as more money) and the Storm caved and resigned him.

The Storm probably budgeted on and hoped he would retire end of this year and for his money to be available in 2020 and now they have to make room in their cap.

I actually think that Cam Smith has probably backed them into salary cap corner. They wanted him to go just one more year (2019) but he pushed for another 2 year contract (as well as more money) and the Storm caved and resigned him.

The Storm probably budgeted on and hoped he would retire end of this year and for his money to be available in 2020 and now they have to make room in their cap.
The least Cam Smith could do would be to leave Melbourne in the kind of mess that he left the Queensland Camp in a few weeks out from Origin 1.

Last edited:

If I'm allowed to dream, I'm hoping it causes angst between Bellamy and the Storm office. Those in charge will be wanting long term success, and having Smith hold the club to ransom is not going to help that. But Bellamy will know that Smith is his meal ticket, and will be doing everything he push the case for his retention.

The downside would be that if there is tension between the parties, Bellamy might leave early, citing differences of opinions, and gets to avoid having his reputation ruined post-Smith.

We should be grateful Smith is playing on in 2020. If he wasn’t we probably wouldn’t have got Croft as they would have had plenty of room in their cap for him.

Unfortunately I think storm will do just fine without Smith. Maybe not quite the same level but they’ll still be in the upper echelon of the NRL. And they’ll have plenty of money to throw around. I don’t think Bellamy is the hack that some people hope he is.

I will absolutely lose my shit if we lose Xavier Coates. If that happened, it would be the biggest blunder the club has made for the past 10 years at least.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I think storm will do just fine without Smith. Maybe not quite the same level but they’ll still be in the upper echelon of the NRL. And they’ll have plenty of money to throw around. I don’t think Bellamy is the hack that some people hope he is.

At this point, fans have been revising their Melbourne Storm doomsday clock for 11 years - I'll believe it when I see it.

They will have to make some signings before the season starts. Vunivalu was a major part of their success and they're incredibly light on quality backs. The few prospects they had coming through either didn't work out (Finau) or went to Union (Ratuva).

Active Now

• marw
  • Wolfie
  • Brocko
  • Waynesaurus
  • DrGee
  • Behold
  • Bish
  • Broncosgirl
  • Financeguy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Aldo
  • TimWhatley
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • kman
  • Nerd
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • lynx000
  • FACTHUNT
... and 49 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.