Broncos 2020 Squad

He isnt keen on being a hooker. Talked to him quite a few times about it and he isnt really keen, but it seems we want to push him as a 14 more than a hooker.
Where does he want to play? Which position?

He isnt keen on being a hooker. Talked to him quite a few times about it and he isnt really keen, but it seems we want to push him as a 14 more than a hooker.

So, what are your thoughts on who should be our long term halves combination?

That's a posing shot, bet the weights aren't even off the stand.
That's not much weight for a posing shot.
Can you ask him how to pronounce Paix? Packs, paycks, pay, pie, something else? He hasn't been mentioned on Nein yet otherwise I'd know how not to say it.

Can you ask him how to pronounce Paix? Packs, paycks, pay, pie, something else? He hasn't been mentioned on Nein yet otherwise I'd know how not to say it.

Rabs: Pah-ix

Last edited:
Where does he want to play? Which position?

He likes 7. I think though despite him not being keen, he can see the benefit to his game to be capable in other positions. I'd say at 14 is probably his best chance at an NRL spot right now.
[automerge]1576370524[/automerge]
So, what are your thoughts on who should be our long term halves combination?

If they play to their ability, then really, it should be Croft and Milf. Milf has all the tools to be the best 6 going around if he puts his mind to it. Its hard to call on blokes like Dearden and Paix right now because they are so inexperienced and havent really even proved themselves in ISC. If Milf leaves, then i think probably its going to be Croft and Dearden as the Broncos seem to see Cory as a bench utility.
[automerge]1576370566[/automerge]

I presume he will be back at the Phins next year, so i'll ask him!

Last edited:
He likes 7. I think though despite him not being keen, he can see the benefit to his game to be capable in other positions. I'd say at 14 is probably his best chance at an NRL spot right now.
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
Ahh, thanks for that. I'm pleased to hear we have yet another genuine option at halfback. By my count that's four, Croft, Dearden, SOS and Paix. Even if the club sees them in some other role I feel it's always more important to think about how the individual considers himself. Having so much pressure being exerted by other hopefuls certainly will keep the halfback honest, whomever is chosen first up.

Last edited:
[automerge]1576370524[/automerge]

If they play to their ability, then really, it should be Croft and Milf. Milf has all the tools to be the best 6 going around if he puts his mind to it. Its hard to call on blokes like Dearden and Paix right now because they are so inexperienced and havent really even proved themselves in ISC. If Milf leaves, then i think probably its going to be Croft and Dearden as the Broncos seem to see Cory as a bench utility.
[automerge]1576370566[/automerge]

I presume he will be back at the Phins next year, so i'll ask him!

Milf ability is undeniable but I don't think he has all of the tools. In fact I think he is missing the most important one. That being mentality and professional approach to the game. Given the position he is in, that's unacceptable.

Speaking of tools, given Milfs love of pokies, unhealthy food and just all round lack of dedication, he may well be the very embodiment of one.

Also in regards to Paix I admit to only having seen highlights of his play but gee whiz he looks like he has some talent. I hope he become more open to the idea of playing hooker. You can have a lot of control over a footy side from that position. Case in point Cameron Smith.

Last edited:
Milf ability is undeniable but I don't think he has all of the tools. In fact I think he is missing the most important one. That being mentality and professional approach to the game. Given the position he is in, that's unacceptable.

Speaking of tools, given Milfs love of pokies, unhealthy food and just all round lack of dedication, he may well be the very embodiment of one.

Also in regards to Paix I admit to only having seen highlights of his play but gee whiz he looks like he has some talent. I hope he become more open to the idea of playing hooker. You can have a lot of control over a footy side from that position. Case in point Cameron Smith.

Cronk was considered a hooker too when he started at the Storm.

They always talk about how he was manufactured into a 7 by Bellamy.

I think he suited 7 better anyway.

I think the same goes for Paix.
[automerge]1576377395[/automerge]
Could Dearden ever play fullback?

1. Dearden
6. Paix
7. Croft
9. Turpin

Last edited:
He was strong in that game wasn’t he? From what I’ve seen I preferred him in the halves.
[automerge]1575357043[/automerge]
We also have Hetherington as well who can play in the 2nd half of the season so there is depth at hooker now just inexperienced
Paix is a 7 always will be, they let go the best prospect they had at hooker in Simpkin

Taking a different tack here ... I believe we are one or two props short.

If you consider Haas, Lodge, Offa, Flegler and Carrigan would all be in the best 17, that only leaves Kennedy as a reserve.

Bullemore is a development player, but he wasn't even starting in the Intrust Super Cup last year.

Any injuries to a prop, and we'll be short. Meanwhile we have too many wingers and centres.

Not sure if Lloyd Perrett is coming on board or not?

Taking a different tack here ... I believe we are one or two props short.

If you consider Haas, Lodge, Offa, Flegler and Carrigan would all be in the best 17, that only leaves Kennedy as a reserve.

Bullemore is a development player, but he wasn't even starting in the Intrust Super Cup last year.

Any injuries to a prop, and we'll be short. Meanwhile we have too many wingers and centres.

Not sure if Lloyd Perrett is coming on board or not?

By my thoughts we have it covered pretty well:
5 X Props (2 full time, 3 backup)
6 X Backrowers
5 x Locks

Should look something like this:
8. Lodge - Prop
10. Haas - Prop
11. Glenn - Backrower/Lock
12. Fifi - Backrower/Lock
13. TPJ - Prop Capable/Backrower/Lock

Bench:
Carrigan - Backrower/Lock
Offa - Prop Capable/Backrower
Flegler - Prop Capable/Backrower

Backup:
Bird - Lock
Hoppa - Backrow/Lock
Kennedy?
Palasia?

Last edited:
Cronk was considered a hooker too when he started at the Storm.

They always talk about how he was manufactured into a 7 by Bellamy.

I think he suited 7 better anyway.

I think the same goes for Paix.
[automerge]1576377395[/automerge]
Could Dearden ever play fullback?

1. Dearden
6. Paix
7. Croft
9. Turpin

Yeah 'they' do, but I put that down to more Bellamy wank-fest, though it's just an opinion and may be my bias
I view a much more accurate statement to be that Cronk manufactured himself into a 7, with hard work and dedication.
Bellamy's work in this began and ended with the statement "Hey Cronky, I need to you to play 7"
Again I state, I suffer from an acute case of Bellamy-bias :)

Totally! I don't see Millionford attracting an offer unless he has an absolute stand out season. I'm aware he's brilliant at times but by the same token, so was Knik. I mean Millionford will have to become indispensable in my opinion before the club would even entertain paying him a million a year. We may end up being well serviced in all departments for a few years.
I think us retaining Milford at this point is looking pretty dicey to say the least.

On balance, his most recent contract has probably been poor value for money for the Broncos, although that's not entirely his fault as he's been thrust into roles and positions he was never ideally suited for and he's tried to make the best of them with varying levels of success. That leaves us in a position where we probably need to be reducing his salary for his next deal if we're going to re-sign him at all.

He's now partnered with a proper Halfback, so we get to see if he still has that magic that won him the money he's currently on now in the first place. The problem with this is, the better he plays this year, the harder it would be to convince him to take a pay cut or even maintain his current salary. It's also the case that the better he plays, the more interest he attracts from other clubs, and we then would struggle to compete financially with other offers. So basically, he can bomb this year and we don't attempt to re-sign him, or he kills it this year, and we struggle to afford to re-sign him. Either way though, Milford remaining at the Broncos is pretty touch and go.

I think us retaining Milford at this point is looking pretty dicey to say the least.

On balance, his most recent contract has probably been poor value for money for the Broncos, although that's not entirely his fault as he's been thrust into roles and positions he was never ideally suited for and he's tried to make the best of them with varying levels of success. That leaves us in a position where we probably need to be reducing his salary for his next deal if we're going to re-sign him at all.

He's now partnered with a proper Halfback, so we get to see if he still has that magic that won him the money he's currently on now in the first place. The problem with this is, the better he plays this year, the harder it would be to convince him to take a pay cut or even maintain his current salary. It's also the case that the better he plays, the more interest he attracts from other clubs, and we then would struggle to compete financially with other offers. So basically, he can bomb this year and we don't attempt to re-sign him, or he kills it this year, and we struggle to afford to re-sign him. Either way though, Milford remaining at the Broncos is pretty touch and go.
it's pretty easy for him. He just has to set this coming season on fire with the talent he has. If he does, it won't matter if we can afford him or not because we would be fairly close to a premiership. If he doesn't, he was never the right option, to begin with. I'd be sorry to see him go if he does have a raging hot year but he wouldn't be the first or last to do so.
At least he would have had one year of great play. When I think of the player we had to let go who were only coming into their form years and went on to be spectacular eg. Eastwood, Galea, Webb, Taylor. They were great for a few years but usually ordinary for a few more. So with the swings and roundabouts of player retention, I'd take one more good year from Milford.

By my thoughts we have it covered pretty well:
5 X Props (2 full time, 3 backup)
6 X Backrowers
5 x Locks

Should look something like this:
8. Lodge - Prop
10. Haas - Prop
11. Glenn - Backrower/Lock
12. Fifi - Backrower/Lock
13. TPJ - Prop Capable/Backrower/Lock

Bench:
Carrigan - Backrower/Lock
Offa - Prop Capable/Backrower
Flegler - Prop Capable/Backrower

Backup:
Bird - Lock
Hoppa - Backrow/Lock
Kennedy?
Palasia?
Might be easier to break our Forwards down into Middle / Edge Forwards. These days it's definitely more relevant than the Prop / Backrower break down.

Active Now

• Ondi
  • broncos4life
  • Galah
  • lynx000
  • Broncosgirl
  • LittleDavey
  • Culhwch
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.