10.Haas
11.Fifita
12.Glenn
13.Carigan
14.Macca
15.Flegler
16.Offa
17.Hopoate

you're not in a position to make that judgement at this stage because you haven't seen Boyd or Macca player (and they were reportedly very good in Rocky).

while you may have an idea about Macca after seeing him play for the last decade (and the fact he has very rarely improved or dropped in form) ... you can't really about Boyd.

you can't base a decision on Boyd from his form in 2019 as started playing fullback then shift to be a stop gap at 5/8 ... both of them are very different roles to the left center role he would have this year
You can play devils advocate all you like with Boyd, but after last night what just about everyone can agree on is that Arthars looked pretty dangerous.

On the contrary; when was the last time Boyd looked dangerous running the ball? When was the last time he ran a great line to hit a ball at the right time and score a try? When was the last time his footwork and acceleration made defences worry?

The answer is pretty much never, and that’s taking into account at least the last 5 seasons at fullback (4.5 if you remove his time at 6) where there is plenty more room to move and the opportunity to inject yourself from anywhere on the field rather then being pigeonholed 2 in from the right or left.

Sure, the opposition last night wasn’t a full strength NRL team (as was the case last week with Boyd, so apples with apples), but I honestly can’t see a way Boyd looked as dangerous against the Capras as Arthars did against the Cowboys and the simple reason for that is that Boyd’s game has never been about those things. He’s never been a hole runner, he’s never been a ‘something out of nothing player’ and he’s never been a try scoring machine.

A fun fact: Boyd has scored 23 tries over the last 5 seasons (his return to Brisbane) across 113 games. Credit where it’s due though, he was the best in the business at being a link man, creating tries and setting up holes, but even that’s been pretty much non-existent lately.

So honest question, please speculate for one second; do you really think Boyd is going to be a better proposition at centre? Do you really think he’s somehow become a player he never was and will be give us 2 attacking strike weapons in the centres (along with Staggs obviously)?

TLDR; I personally don’t think Boyd has earned the right as a walk up start at centre and rather than stifle the development of a young player, I believe Boyd should start in ISC. If Boyd kills it in ISC or Arthars fails in NRL, then absolutely Boyd should get his chance. But not before one or both of those things happen first.

Last edited:
As someone who is far from Boyd's fan, there are things we need to take into account besides "hole running" (yes @JAHHW , I know it's more than that, I and actually agree with your account of Boyd's attacking prowess, except the try scoring machine remark, which he was as a... winger), like experience and being a solid defender, especially next to Milford.

That said, I really liked what I saw from Arthars and I'm sure Seibold's hearing that door shacking in its hinges.

On another matter, I cannot imagine how Isaako could take the Fullback spot away from Bird, who despite that godawful haircut, has so many more strings to his bow to be what we need from the custodian.

Really liked what I saw from Croft and Milford's combo this early. Having someone taking care of the organisation and game control will hopefully free Anthony to do what he does best, and he showed it last night.

All early days of course, but already much more promising than what we saw at the nines...

Last edited:
As someone who is far from Boyd's fan, there are things we need to take into account besides "hole running" (yes @JAHHW , I know it's more than that, I and actually agree with your account of Boyd's attacking prowess, except the try scoring machine remark, which he was as a... winger), like experience and being a solid defender, especially next to Milford.

That said, I really liked what I saw from Arthars and I'm sure Seibold's hearing that door shacking in its hinges.

On another matter, I cannot imagine how Isaako could take the Fullback spot away from Bird, who despite that godawful haircut, has so many more strings to his bow to be what we need from the custodian.

Really liked what I saw from Croft and Milford's combo this early. Having someone taking care of the organisation and game control will hopefully free Anthony to do what he does best, and he showed it last night.

All early days of course, but already much more promising than what we saw at the nines...
I don’t disagree about the experience remark, but I also don’t think it should be a reason for picking Boyd ahead of someone else if that’s the only thing he really brings whilst the other bloke brings multiple other things.

I must be honest and admit I’m probably a bit jaded because of the absolute tripe Boyd has dished up the last 2-3 seasons. But equally, Boyd really hasn’t got any consistent runs on the board in the centres either (yes, I know he played an origin game there so that can’t be ignored), so I just don’t think he should have a mortgage on the Broncos left centre spot simply because he’s played over 300 games in other positions.

I thought Arthars was great last night and if he can do the same in the next trial, I think he deserves the chance to either excel in the position or surrender it due to poor form or someone else, including Boyd, making it impossible not to pick them.

I dont think Arthars was that dangerous overall. He ran a couple of good lines and did well for the Milf try but wasnt involved that much in the scheme of things, but a bit like Boyd in the previous trial, he did what he had to do and was quietly effective, and thats all you can do really. If the coach is true to his word, it will be the Titans game that decides the round 1 team. Unfortunately, i think his mind is already made up.

I agree. I saw that in last night's trial also
I think Coates should start in ISC,he hasn’t played since August and I think more playing will help him.

I’ve maintained that Herbie is the more well rounded player at this stage. Coates will fluctuate wildly.

I think you’ll get a much more consistent performer from Herbie.

Croft’s kicking game in the trial was sensational. Milf looked very dangerous and interested too which is Greta considering the conditions. Bird wasn’t spectacular from a technical stand point but **** he rips in.

That’s our spine of you ask me. Turpin, Croft, Milf, Bird. Some real good signs in the trial.

Arthur’s looks ready enough to displace Boyd, but won’t and it’ll drive me nuts for half the season. Coates still looked lost defensively, and not confident under bombs, offered little in attack too. Not sold on the kid, really looks like he’s struggling to adapt. Farnworth was great though. Isaako didn’t do anything to push his case at fullback either. TPJ was great at prop, lots of effort but also just as retarded as you’d expect.

1. Bird
2. Oates
3. Arthurs
4. Stagg
5. Farnworth
6. Milford
7. Croft
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. TPJ
11. Glenn
12. Fifita
13. Carrigan

14. Isaako/Boyd/Paix/Macca
15. Flegler
16. Joe O
17. Kennedy

Really torn on Staggs. He looks to be a very talented, powerful footballer, but his handling and decision making can make him a real liability. He's not dumb or selfish like a Krisnan Inu, but I just feel he needs to reign himself in and play percentages better.

Overall though, I am still frustrated as **** that we are still making the same stupid mistakes. Trials or not, we shot ourselves in the foot with poor handling and poor discipline. You can be the fittest, most exciting attacking team in the comp but if you're defending more than 50% it means **** all. I can't see any improvement in that area so far.

Really torn on Staggs. He looks to be a very talented, powerful footballer, but his handling and decision making can make him a real liability. He's not dumb or selfish like a Krisnan Inu, but I just feel he needs to reign himself in and play percentages better.

Overall though, I am still frustrated as **** that we are still making the same stupid mistakes. Trials or not, we shot ourselves in the foot with poor handling and poor discipline. You can be the fittest, most exciting attacking team in the comp but if you're defending more than 50% it means **** all. I can't see any improvement in that area so far.

almost totally disagree. The handling was great considering it was ankle deep water on the field. The game went to shit once the big names got subbed off around half time but with the strongest line up on the field I saw heaps of improvement on last years attack. It seemed far more structured. Great kicking games from Milf and Croft and having both as options means. Milf’s massive bombs can be used tactically instead of exclusively. Quite a few set plays got trotted out too and if it wasn’t for the conditions almost all of the would’ve stuck.

Maybe I've missed this elsewhere, but is Joe Ofahengaue going to escape sanction for his DUI conviction?

I'm not going to weigh into whether he should or shouldn't be suspended or stood down, I was just curious about what the implications were given he plead guilty and was obviously convicted of the offence?

It seems like Darius will start at centre
If he plays well there and gets his mojo back then don't be surprised if he gets another shot at the back at some point.
This place will be torn apart.

Here's an article on nrl.com written by Cory Oates regarding his infection. Looks like he'll be fighting to be fit for round 1 but not a certainty.

To be honest it's probably better if we give him the time he needs to recover without rushing him back, it's not like we're desperately short of outside backs.

I want to see him handling 50-60 minutes at Dummy Half at Redcliffe on a regular basis before we give him the green light at NRL level. I think that should be the minimum yard stick for promotion past Turpin at this point.
Paix is not a 9 and he did nothing at 6 either

Should have a crack at grant or maybe simpkin, if grant goes to the tigers.
We had Simpkin but Seibold thinks Paix is the next Cook , and he and Nolan didnt even know who Simpkin was
[automerge]1582534643[/automerge]
This is my side after watching tonight's game
1.Bird
2.Oates
3.Boyd
4.staggs
5.Arthur
6.Milford
7.Croft
8.TPJ
9.Turps
10.Haas
11.Fifita
12.Glenn
13.Carigan
14.Macca
15.Flegler
16.Offa
17.Hopoate
I think you would have to start Macca as he would bring no spark off the bench

Last edited:
Yes I agree but he will be in the 17 wether we like it or not.
We had Simpkin but Seibold thinks Paix is the next Cook , and he and Nolan didnt even know who Simpkin was
[automerge]1582534643[/automerge]

I think you would have to start Macca as he would bring no spark off the bench

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Broncosgirl
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Sproj
  • Organix
  • Spoon
  • BroncoFan94
  • ChewThePhatt
  • winslow_wong
  • Brocko
  • Waynesaurus
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Wendall Taylor
  • theshed
  • Gray
  • Fozz
  • Stix
  • Santa
  • Johnny92
... and 28 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.