NEWS Broncos bow to player power as pre-season takes huge toll

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I don't mind that Kevie seems approachable to the players and listens to their suggestions. But if they come out and look unfit and unable to keep up in round 1, then we fucking riot.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
Anyone been watching them train?is Reynolds training like someone that is struggling to be fit for rd1?

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
More like best at just making shit up and looking like a complete tit - see pretty much every player that's left under his tenure. If it's deliberate, it's sabotage of his own credibility. There's a smarter way to play this - the Bellamy way for one, just "yeah, nah, we'll see what happens"
yeah , nah !

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Whats the angle.....of Kevvies masterstroke ......of media manipulation?
More like best at just making shit up and looking like a complete tit - see pretty much every player that's left under his tenure. If it's deliberate, it's sabotage of his own credibility. There's a smarter way to play this - the Bellamy way for one, just "yeah, nah, we'll see what happens"
30 years in the nrl as a half, captain or coach at by far the biggest club in the nrl with the most pressure and state of origin without a bad word said about him and he continues to get a free run by media and we are talking about him, as well as spending nearly a decade in the media himself......

Yep, he has his faults. But if you think he has no idea what he is doing media-wise you are as stupid as you think he is. There's a reason there has been a massive reversal/increase in positive vs negative stories compared to the years between him and Bennett. This conjured up story that was initiated BY HIM is the most crap the media has given us despite another poor year! Haha

His angle? Ummmmmmmm perhaps he is putting ownership of their performances back on them! Eg "I'm giving you what you want and how you want to prepare, and now the world knows its you guys saying "hey we are fit enough now" so go and fucking prove it!"
Every coach does it, and smart ones use the media to do it...

Like I said, Walters has his faults. But media is not one of them. He deflects them very well.

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
30 years in the nrl as a half, captain or coach at by far the biggest club in the nrl with the most pressure and state of origin without a bad word said about him and he continues to get a free run by media and we are talking about him, as well as spending nearly a decade in the media himself......

Yep, he has his faults. But if you think he has no idea what he is doing media-wise you are as stupid as you think he is. There's a reason there has been a massive reversal/increase in positive vs negative stories compared to the years between him and Bennett. This conjured up story that was initiated BY HIM is the most crap the media has given us despite another poor year! Haha

His angle? Ummmmmmmm perhaps he is putting ownership of their performances back on them! Eg "I'm giving you what you want and how you want to prepare, and now the world knows its you guys saying "hey we are fit enough now" so go and fucking prove it!"

Like I said, Walters has his faults. But media is not one of them. He deflects them very well.
You only need to review this very forum to understand where I am coming from. Every time there has been speculation about a player, his responses are almost bankably the opposite of reality.

This was the case with Bullemor, Coates, Croft, Dearden, Lodge and TPJ. The news was out there that they were gone and he was like, we love x, we see a big future for x with the broncos, blah blah blah.

When the opposite keeps happening, it destroys credibility.

He may be playing a game with the media - it may be effective from what he's trying to do. But it's gotten to the point where I ignore everything he says now as he's either lying or doesn't know his arse from his elbow and it's becoming difficult to tell which is correct.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
You only need to review this very forum to understand where I am coming from. Every time there has been speculation about a player, his responses are almost bankably the opposite of reality.

This was the case with Bullemor, Coates, Croft, Dearden, Lodge and TPJ. The news was out there that they were gone and he was like, we love x, we see a big future for x with the broncos, blah blah blah.

He may be playing a game with the media - it may be effective from what he's trying to do. But it's gotten to the point where I ignore everything he says now as he's either lying or doesn't know his arse from his elbow and it's becoming difficult to tell which is correct.

Bennett does the same thing.

over the last few he'd say something like he won't be signing X ... only for X to sign with him a few weeks later

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
Bennett does the same thing.

over the last few he'd say something like he won't be signing X ... only for X to sign with him a few weeks later
Bennett speaks in non-absolutes and often gives a political answer, not an incorrect one.

When a player is leaving he would say things like "I'm not aware of the situation around that, that's probably a question for x" and divert away from providing an answer.

THIS is how to answer. Not like what Kev does which is to paint a picture that we're doing all we can to hang onto them, for the next day the news to break that they signed elsewhere 6 days ago.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Bennett speaks in non-absolutes and often gives a political answer, not an incorrect one.

When a player is leaving he would say things like "I'm not aware of the situation around that, that's probably a question for x" and divert away from providing an answer.

THIS is how to answer. Not like what Kev does which is to paint a picture that we're doing all we can to hang onto them, for the next day the news to break that they signed elsewhere 6 days ago.
"We won't be signing Latrell," Bennett told Blindside.

That's an ACTUAL quote from Bennett... there's LITERALLY 100's of examples of this with him. He is famous for it hahahahaha

say goodbye to your credibility in this argument... that's your criteria remember...

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
"We won't be signing Latrell," Bennett told Blindside.

That's an ACTUAL quote from Bennett... there's LITERALLY 100's of examples of this with him. He is famous for it hahahahaha

say goodbye to your credibility in this argument... that's your criteria remember...
At the time he said that, he wasn't signed. Conversely, Kevin has made claims of working to retain players after they had already told the broncos they'd signed elsewhere.

So no. Not the same.

Further, if there's anything to that article it may not have been Wayne doing the convincing.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

OK....perhaps.

I don't remember other stories about teams complaining about training too hard before season's start.

I think in the context of the Bronco's "situation" .....its an odd thing to give to the fans to kick off the season with.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014

I put it to you he doesn't give a shit about the media, he cares more about the relationships he has with his players.

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
I put it to you he doesn't give a shit about the media, he cares more about the relationships he has with his players.
Sure, which is fine. It just makes anything he says in the media the equivalent of Badel trash.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
At the time he said that, he wasn't signed. Conversely, Kevin has made claims of working to retain players after they had already told the broncos they'd signed elsewhere.

So no. Not the same.

Further, if there's anything to that article it may not have been Wayne doing the convincing.
Jesus, I don't know how strong evidence you need considering that's a direct quote of him literally doing what you said he didn't... ffs your mental gymnastics is amazing haha

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
Jesus, I don't know how strong evidence you need considering that's a direct quote of him literally doing what you said he didn't... ffs your mental gymnastics is amazing haha
I'll spell it out in simpler language to aid understanding.

The day before the seven day cooling off period on a signing announcement is a pretty dumb time to tell the press that the club is trying to retain them.

Happy to see an example of this Bennett has done.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I think Kevvie has done OK with the media but i find his approach a bit odd at times but like Wayne i do think he does try to do whats right by the players. I dont think he deflects as well as Wayne, but not many do tbf.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Sure, which is fine. It just makes anything he says in the media the equivalent of Badel trash.

He's employed as the head coach of the Brisbane Broncos, Badel is employed to get people reading newspapers and from the sounds of it, he's doing one hell of a job.

Myself, I'd rather watch us play footy and judge Kevvie based on that. You will struggle to find a coach who drops the bombshells in pressers when the media go fishing, it's just not courteous to the players in question to have their contract negotiations leaked out all over the newspapers because the coach was asked a specific question about a specific player. It would be more a shock to us all if any coach (not just Kevvie) leaked contract negotiations out the public before the player did.

I can re-call in the past Wayne was all but heading to the Roosters but apparently they leaked the news before he made it official, he never went as a result of that.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I'll spell it out in simpler language to aid understanding.

The day before the seven day cooling off period on a signing announcement is a pretty dumb time to tell the press that the club is trying to retain them.

Happy to see an example of this Bennett has done.
The situation does not matter AT ALL. He LITERALLY did, and does it often, exactly what you said he didn't do hahaha...

There is no stronger evidence possible. You said he didn't talk in absolutes and deny signing/not signing players to the media. I showed you a LITERAL DIRECT QUOTE FROM BENNETT and you're still doing mental gymnastics to say it's different haha.. It's impossible to improve this level of evidence so I don't know what else to do with this haha

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Porthoz
  • Justwin
  • mystico
  • leon.bott
  • Galah
  • Sproj
  • Financeguy
  • Foordy
  • dasherhalo
  • Mr Fourex
  • Culhwch
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Waynesaurus
  • Battler
  • FACTHUNT
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.