Broncos Defence

B

Brent81

Made Legal Threat to BHQ
Oct 31, 2012
Worth watching of you have a minute.

http://m.nrl.com/the-breakdown-with-matt-elliott-broncos-defence/tabid/10959/contentid/764032/default.aspx

It's certainly a good watch. I know a lot of people worry and criticize our line speed, but when Elliot goes into why they do it and why it's working, you'd be hard pressed to complain about it again.

It certainly looks like a good method they've adopted, as long as we don't get any brainfarts and have somebody (Gillett) rush up out of the line we should keep employing this style.

Must be one of Waynes ideas, otherwise we'd have been doing this last year under our same defensive coach in Kearney.

It certainly looks like a good method they've adopted, as long as we don't get any brainfarts and have somebody (Gillett) rush up out of the line we should keep employing this style.

Must be one of Waynes ideas, otherwise we'd have been doing this last year under our same defensive coach in Kearney.

It's all Kearny, he has complete control over the defense. Kevvie Walters admitted as much in an interview. So you have to wonder what stupid input Griffin had with regards to the defense with Kearny now in full control and our defense the best it's been in a long long time.

Our defence is truly a marvel, when you think about it. You could almost describe it as breaking the modern mold. Coaches like Hasler, Bellamy and Maguire have forced the game to evolve (devolve?) into rushing up on the attack, relying on field position and the wrestle to force an error or slow the game down to a crawl to give players time to settle their line. It's a very grindy, boring brand of football.

Not us. We're literally a wall of flesh and sweat. Work for your teammates on both sides, get in with some solid hits and use the oppositions own momentum against them. The faster they're running at you, the more your tackle will hurt them. This strategy also works to the benefit of attack as well, because as we saw against the Storm, after they're absolute buggered having ran at our brick wall for the past 4 sets, they have no energy left to defend themselves, especially on the fringes, so we spread the ball, use our outside backs to massive effect. The cutout pass from Milf to Reed is the perfect example.

So not only are we defending like champions, we're also attacking with flair and effectiveness, working to the strengths of the side, Hunt and Milf in the halves who both have an uncanny ability to run the ball, plus quality backs who have been begging for quality ball for 2 seasons.

Loved it. Elliot seems like a pretty smart fella too.

I rate Elliott, technically he seems on the ball. I don't know why he keeps getting shafted, maybe he's not a great man-manager?

Great breakdown too. I've been critical of the line speed but have held my tongue as it's working for us and that's the main thing. Gus (I think it was) picked very early in the season that we'd obviously been focusing on 'hit and stick' rather than the traditional wrestle as well.

Expect teams in the future to just drop to the ground and try to get a quick play the ball near our line.

Expect teams in the future to just drop to the ground and try to get a quick play the ball near our line.

Isnt that considered a surrender and therefor resulting in a slower play-the-ball.

I remember that's how the Tiggers won the comp in 05. Except they pretty much did that everywhere.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Swordfish
  • Morepudding
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • winslow_wong
  • NSW stables
  • Financeguy
  • Alec
  • ChewThePhatt
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • dirtyharry
  • Maroon4life
  • Santa
  • Mister Wright
  • sooticus
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.