NEWS Broncos eye Valentine Holmes as saviour of Red Hill after finals bashing

still have no idea why in the world we want brodie croft... i mean we need a experience halfback who knows how to lead the team around..... whats croft like 23? and must be comin close to 50 games now yeah?

and in those games i cant remember a single game were he was dominant and marshalling his team around. sure he has skill and has displayed some individual brilliance now and then but our team is already full of players like that.

i could understand if we didn't have a dearden waiting in the wings.... but chances are we sign a young player like croft dearden will go elsewhere.

Bellamy does not loose a player he wants and as much as i hate him hes pretty good at rating players and there characters imo. so why in the hell do we want a Melbourne storm reject?

im not saying croft is a bad player he just is not the player we need or should be wasting cap space on.

just screams of desperation from broncos if true.

It could be that he's all we can afford too.

Still of the opinion we should go for a seasoned, experienced half ie Sezer, over someone like Croft. Croft is still a massive gamble, we need a proven playmaker, we don’t have the time to take a gamble on another half.
Croft has been in and out of the Melbourne 17, they seem to have given up on him as their long term half. I’m not sure that we would get the best out of him, especially if Bellamy hasn’t been able to.

Right now we just need a solid, proper half. Someone who can make sure the forward pack isn't doing it all for nothing. Someone who can hopefully get Milford to start playing more of a support role.

Still of the opinion we should go for a seasoned, experienced half ie Sezer, over someone like Croft. Croft is still a massive gamble, we need a proven playmaker, we don’t have the time to take a gamble on another half.
Croft has been in and out of the Melbourne 17, they seem to have given up on him as their long term half. I’m not sure that we would get the best out of him, especially if Bellamy hasn’t been able to.

If Bird is gone we could use his money to buy both Croft and Sezer.. win win

Right now we just need a solid, proper half. Someone who can make sure the forward pack isn't doing it all for nothing. Someone who can hopefully get Milford to start playing more of a support role.

i agree but do you really think thats brodie? maybe im massively wrong but if he hast not been able to succeed in the most professional club in the league with the stars he has around him to assist then whats he suppose to do with this basket case of a club?

its nearly unfair on him as well. we desperately need a older experience half. hell even a shane perry would be great for a year.

You do realise Croft has played 22 games this year fir the Storm right? That's hardly in and out of the 17.

You do realise Croft has played 22 games this year fir the Storm right? That's hardly in and out of the 17.
More so referring to the bigger games at the end of the season.
From memory Storm were on a bit of a winning streak when they decided to pull Croft out of the halves.
Talk is he may be playing tomorrow night, I’m sure lots of eyes will be on him.

i agree but do you really think thats brodie? maybe im massively wrong but if he hast not been able to succeed in the most professional club in the league with the stars he has around him to assist then whats he suppose to do with this basket case of a club?

its nearly unfair on him as well. we desperately need a older experience half. hell even a shane perry would be great for a year.
In what sense has he not succeeded? Grand final last year with him, easily 3 wins clear minor premiers with him this year. There's no way a team can be that dominant with a halfback who isn't pretty decent at least.

Supposedly, Croft will be a late inclusion at 7 this week anyway so clearly Bellamy does rate him and it'll give us all a chance to watch him more closely.

He won't cost us Dearden, did you see who our halves were? Boyd and Turpin. We need 2 halves, not 1.

I understand what you're saying, we need an "experienced" half but they don't exist. Maloney too old, Cronk won't come, DCE won't come, Green is too old. Sezer is the closest thing but he's been playing 10 years and has never looked more than okay. I'd take either Croft/Sezer but I think Croft is good enough now and we won't be looking for a half in 2 years again when Sezer is 32.

In what sense has he not succeeded? Grand final last year with him, easily 3 wins clear minor premiers with him this year. There's no way a team can be that dominant with a halfback who isn't pretty decent at least.

Supposedly, Croft will be a late inclusion at 7 this week anyway so clearly Bellamy does rate him and it'll give us all a chance to watch him more closely.

He won't cost us Dearden, did you see who our halves were? Boyd and Turpin. We need 2 halves, not 1.

I understand what you're saying, we need an "experienced" half but they don't exist. Maloney too old, Cronk won't come, DCE won't come, Green is too old. Sezer is the closest thing but he's been playing 10 years and has never looked more than okay. I'd take either Croft/Sezer but I think Croft is good enough now and we won't be looking for a half in 2 years again when Sezer is 32.

i get it but my biggest answer to you is one name.... cameron smith have you seen there record when smith is not playing?

look ill support him if we get him and wish him the best. but whats the plan here we take another massive gamble on a half who is still developing hoping he will be a good halfback who can lead a young team around the park and in 2 years time chuck dearden in and scrap croft? hardly seems fair on croft either.

But i get it, if that is literally all there is to get then sure by all means..i to do not want to see turpin or boyd in the halves ever again either

i just really hope we are not grabbing the first half available and hope we are making enquiries about other more proven and experienced halfbacks in the competition or in uk..

we dont need a player with individual brilliance we just need a smart player who can put our forwards through a hole and can follow a game plan and bark orders.

we all know in this day and age contracts mean sweet **** all. so i hope we go all out on any one that fits that mold and not just settle on croft.

because again it screams desperation with not much thought process gone into it especially if they are getting him this early. The competition is still going for goodness sake and the media are saying its a done deal? happening way to swift for my liking

Last edited:
i get it but my biggest answer to you is one name.... cameron smith have you seen there record when smith is not playing?

look ill support him if we get him and wish him the best. but whats the plan here we take another massive gamble on a half who is still developing hoping he will be a good halfback who can lead a young team around the park and in 2 years time chuck dearden in and scrap croft? hardly seems fair on croft either.

But i get it, if that is literally all there is to get then sure by all means..i to do not want to see turpin or boyd in the halves ever again either

i just really hope we are not grabbing the first half available and hope we are making enquiries about other more proven and experienced halfbacks in the competition or in uk..

we dont need a player with individual brilliance we just need a smart player who can put our forwards through a hole and can follow a game plan and bark orders.

we all know in this day and age contracts mean sweet **** all. so i hope we go all out on any one that fits that mold and not just settle on croft.

because again it screams desperation with not much thought process gone into it especially if they are getting him this early. The competition is still going for goodness sake and the media are saying its a done deal? happening way to swift for my liking
I get the Cam Smith thing but I also think it's impossible to judge Croft because of Smith too. He takes control of everything. All I know is Croft is very quick off the mark, he has a nice running game, he's got a pretty damn decent all round kicking game, he can pot a field goal sometimes. He's a halfback through and through and we have maybe 1 of those on our roster and that's it.

He's not a huge gamble, if Storm don't want him we'd be taking over part of his contract, hopefully a 2 year contract and we can re-assess. By then Dearden will have shown if he has what it takes and if Croft kills it, great, if not, we're no worse than we are today IMO.

I would think we wouldn't be signing Croft for anything above the 400k mark, at which I think he's absolutely worth the gamble for what he could offer.

Last edited:
I get the Cam Smith thing but I also think it's impossible to judge Croft because of Smith too. He takes control of everything. All I know is Croft is very quick off the mark, he has a nice running game, he's got a pretty damn decent all round kicking game, he can pot a field goal sometimes. He's a halfback through and through and we have maybe 1 of those on our roster and that's it.

He's not a huge gamble, if Storm don't want him we'd be taking over part of his contract, hopefully a 2 year contract and we can re-assess. By then Dearden will have shown if he has what it takes and if Croft kills it, great, if not, we're no worse than we are today IMO.

I would think we wouldn't be signing Croft for anything above the 400k mark, at which I think he's absolutely worth the gamble for what he could offer.

yea look i get it to.... croft is definitely a huge upgrade on our current halves and if thats our only choice it is a no brainer. and its not like a i think croft is a bad player you can clearly see the kid has something. Just really hope he can develop quick for us because it could be career suicide coming from melbourne to us and expected to be the general on the field.

would have to be the biggest pressure job in the nrl

but if the rumours are true good luck to the kid hope he kills it for us

yea look i get it to.... croft is definitely a huge upgrade on our current halves and if thats our only choice it is a no brainer. and its not like a i think croft is a bad player you can clearly see the kid has something. Just really hope he can develop quick for us because it could be career suicide coming from melbourne to us and expected to be the general on the field.

would have to be the biggest pressure job in the nrl

but if the rumours are true good luck to the kid hope he kills it for us
I'm not convinced they're true, why would Bellamy really get rid of Croft, as far as I can tell they have no one ready to play 7 and Hughes is not a 7 but if it's a personality clash thing, which I get the feeling Cam Smith doesn't like him, it might make sense.

I don't think Croft is a megastar or anything either but holy shit I can not watch another season with the halves we have, I will cry if I have to see Turpin at 7 anytime Dearden is injured.

yea look i can get on board on that thought. if we got no one at all and had to throw dearden to the wolves if he gets a injury it will be macca or turps back in the 7.

still i really hope we are looking at every possible option.

surely there is a decent halfback playing isc that has been plying his trade for years that can play solid football and lead a team around and not overplay his hand.

perry did it perfectly for us but i guess much like croft he had a future immortal of the game playing with him

Last edited:
yea look i can get on board on that thought. if we got no one at all and had to throw dearden to the wolves if he gets a injury it will be macca or turps back in the 7.

still i really hope we are looking at every possible option.

surely there is a decent halfback playing isc that has been plying his trade for years that can play solid football and lead a team around and not overplay his hand.

perry did it perfectly for us but i guess much like croft he had a future immortal of the game playing with him
Honestly, I really like SOS but it's obvious Seibold doesn't rate him so I've just given up on that idea and he's also done his ACL so he's gone until late season anyway.

I'd love a Shane Perry but for whatever reason, it's very rare we've pulled a half out of reserve grade and had them stick around. Dearden is the first genuine prospect in what feels like a decade but I'm hesitant to think he can play 25 rounds and so far he's already had 2 injuries so his body needs to build a bit more.

So apparently Suliasi Vunivalu might be on the outer with Bellamy as well.

Thoughts, BHQ? Would you be ruthless, tell Oates to find a new club and sign him(assuming salaries are even)? I'm not saying it would happen but if you were in charge would you push the idea?

I absolutely hate the **** but he's a genuine winger and try scorer.

Last edited:
if both wages are same i would proably still take oates.

vunivalu does just as much stupid shit as oates does id rather at least keep our home grown product.

i still dont think oates deserves much of a payrise though

So apparently Suliasi Vunivalu might be on the outer with Bellamy as well.

Thoughts, BHQ? Would you be ruthless, tell Oates to find a new club and sign him(assuming salaries are even)? I'm not saying it would happen but if you were in charge would you push the idea?

I absolutely hate the **** but he's a genuine winger and try scorer.
No from me the guy is a fucking maniac on the field (tackles guys in the air, double flying knees anyone??)... he won't get the same kind of leniency here as he gets at Melbourne.

He's got zero brains and doesnt have anywhere near the workrate as Oates.

I'd prefer Farnworth

He needs someone who can kick to him. He’s a penalty magnet but yes he’s a try scoring livewire.
But would you tell Oates he's not getting a new contract? I don't think we can afford two decent money wingers, that's normally only allowed on the Roosters cap while still having superstars in the spine, oh and everywhere else.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.