NEWS Broncos eye Valentine Holmes as saviour of Red Hill after finals bashing

Every team needs a few average players to balance the cap, but not the Roosters. Superstars every fucking position.

Take a look at this, seriously

FINAL SQUAD
1. James Tedesco - Superstar
2. Daniel Tupou - Top tier winger
3. Latrell Mitchell - Superstar
4. Joseph Manu - Superstar
5. Brett Morris - Veteran, top tier
6. Luke Keary - Superstar
7. Cooper Cronk - Superstar
8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves - Top tier
9. Sam Verrills - Jake Friend normally here
10. Isaac Liu - He's okay
11. Boyd Cordner (c) - NSW Captain, star
12. Mitchell Aubusson- He's okay
13. Victor Radley - Top tier
INTERCHANGE
14. Angus Crichton - Superstar at the time of signing anyway
15. Zane Tetevano - He's okay
16. Nat Butcher - No idea
17. Siosiua Taukeiaho - He'd be a starting lock in plenty of teams

Salary cap fucking works. Must help when Uncle Nick owns every other car yard in the country. Would be oh so difficult to have the billionare tell his minions all across the country to "sponsor" players.

Every team needs a few average players to balance the cap, but not the Roosters. Superstars every fucking position.

FINAL SQUAD
INTERCHANGE

Salary cap fucking works. Must help when Uncle Nick owns every other car yard in the country. Would be oh so difficult to have the billionare tell his minions all across the country to "sponsor" players.
The biggest one for me that shows something seriously sketchy is going on is TKO.

Apparently he's on $280k or some shit (if you believe a Buzz article after his 20hr bender)... to me he's borderline Lolo, TPJ, Fonua Blake sort of levels... and should be more like $600-700k

If they wanted to they could play him 60-70 minutes at a high level... yet I've NEVER EVER seen any interest from any other team.

He's never in Mole or Lurker articles and you never seem to see his name pop up as being off contract.

He's either loyal as **** (unlikely considering he's a warriors junior), shrewd investor/ trust fund baby with millions in the bank.... or maybe his wife is working at Uncle Nick's car yard for $1.2m a year

Last edited:
More so referring to the bigger games at the end of the season.
From memory Storm were on a bit of a winning streak when they decided to pull Croft out of the halves.
Talk is he may be playing tomorrow night, I’m sure lots of eyes will be on him.

He played the first 22 rounds and through their winning streak at halfback. So I don't see the logic you're using to be honest.

That’s a bloody good point. On the market he’d have to be worth 600k
The next one will be Keary... he's currently one of the best halves running around so if they don't have to pay $900k-1m a year for him with his current form then it's dodgy as.

Lets have a look at this from a numbers perspective then

FINAL SQUAD
1. James Tedesco - 1M
2. Daniel Tupou - 300K
3. Latrell Mitchell - 700K
4. Joseph Manu - 500K
5. Brett Morris - 300K
6. Luke Keary - 800K
7. Cooper Cronk - 1M
8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves - 600K
9. Sam Verrills - 100K
10. Isaac Liu - 150K
11. Boyd Cordner (c) - 700K
12. Mitchell Aubusson- 200K
13. Victor Radley - 200K
INTERCHANGE
14. Angus Crichton - 800K
15. Zane Tetevano - 100K
16. Nat Butcher - 100K
17. Siosiua Taukeiaho - 300K (but worth 700K)

That’s going off media quotes & what i would consider minimum asking price . Someone like Chricton isn’t worth 800K but apparently that’s what his contract is worth.

That’s around 8M give or take.
The other 12 guys on minimum wage & Jake Friend probably 300 as well, and there is definitely a bit of room to drop some of these guys wages.

To me that’s just really fucking good roster management.

The 1, 6 & 7 are all top dollar, as they should be.
Got a good mix of $$$ forwards and cheap workhorse toilers.

Broncos
1. Milf 1M
2. Isaako 350K
3. Kotoni 100K
4. Glenn 250K
5. Oates 400K
6. Boyd 800K
7. Turpin 150K
8. Lodge 500K
9. Macca 500K
10. Haas 600K
11. FiFi 600K
12. TPJ 500K
13. Offa 500K

14. Segeyaro 100K
15. Carrigan 300K
16. Gillett 500K
17. Flegler 200K

Also Bird 900K

Kennedy Shibasaki etc and rest of the team probably on minimum wage

It’s also around 8M, give or take... yet we have three or four very dumb contracts in there.... it’s amazing how poorly managed rosters are. Give me roosters over Broncos line up any day

No from me the guy is a fucking maniac on the field (tackles guys in the air, double flying knees anyone??)... he won't get the same kind of leniency here as he gets at Melbourne.

He's got zero brains and doesnt have anywhere near the workrate as Oates.

I'd prefer Farnworth

Agreed. Got enough brain explosion players in the squad currently as it is, do we need to make that more of a problem?

Serious question, is Politis even that wealthy? Surely we have richer blokes than him in Brisbane fanatical enough about the club to do an uncle Nicky. I know Talbot was rumoured to be 'leader' of the thoroughbreds (may he RIP), but we need another to stand up.

Last edited:

FINAL SQUAD
INTERCHANGE

So accurate and so infuriating. We get articles every other week saying how our player is getting offers for x amount which is always way overs and it makes us look like we shouldn’t be able to afford our team even though half of the team are rookies and over hyped.

And then fucking crickets chirping over at the roosters never a fucking thing said about half their awesome players. seriously after you have put their team into perspective on paper....it raises my blood pressure 😂

Lets have a look at this from a numbers perspective then

FINAL SQUAD
1. James Tedesco - 1M
2. Daniel Tupou - 300K
3. Latrell Mitchell - 700K
4. Joseph Manu - 500K
5. Brett Morris - 300K
6. Luke Keary - 800K
7. Cooper Cronk - 1M
8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves - 600K
9. Sam Verrills - 100K
10. Isaac Liu - 150K
11. Boyd Cordner (c) - 700K
12. Mitchell Aubusson- 200K
13. Victor Radley - 200K
INTERCHANGE
14. Angus Crichton - 800K
15. Zane Tetevano - 100K
16. Nat Butcher - 100K
17. Siosiua Taukeiaho - 300K (but worth 700K)

That’s going off media quotes & what i would consider minimum asking price . Someone like Chricton isn’t worth 800K but apparently that’s what his contract is worth.

That’s around 8M give or take.
The other 12 guys on minimum wage & Jake Friend probably 300 as well, and there is definitely a bit of room to drop some of these guys wages.

To me that’s just really fucking good roster management.

The 1, 6 & 7 are all top dollar, as they should be.
Got a good mix of $$$ forwards and cheap workhorse toilers.

Judging salary caps is an exercise in futility. For instance, the Roosters are known for gambling on rookies, offering the highest amount so when they're mid-way through they can upgrade them on unders so when they make an impact like Latrell, they're on about half as much as they should be.

So for instance, a player like Nat Butcher who Sydney got into a bidding war with Souths with would likely be on 250-300K, his brother Egan would likely be on around 200K and he hasn't even played a game yet but he's in the senior squad.

What throws a lot of fans is that they have a high turnover of players. There seems to be this impression that there's an internal draft in the NRL and that every team has to wait their turn to sign a player. The thing is, the Roosters are constantly signing players and the struggling teams never seem to get a whiff of the big signings. What they lose sight of is that they release a lot of players too, so they're constantly creating room.

Serious question, is Politis even that wealthy? Surely we have richer blokes than him in Brisbane fanatical enough about the club to do an uncle Nicky. I know Talbot was rumoured to be 'leader' of the thoroughbreds (may he RIP), but we need another to stand up.
I wasn't exaggerating when I said he's a billionaire.
He was last year ranked No.82 on The Australian Financial Review's Rich List with an estimated wealth of $773 million. Owns 36 per cent of the $1.5 billion ASX-listed car dealer company AP Eagers
from 2017. I read an article last month claiming he added something like 250m to his portfolio but I can't find it now

Throwing an extra mill or two to players is dead set pocket money for someone like him. We're a publicly listed company, we can't really spend a whole lot without everything going under a microscope. Roosters are privately owned, they can do what they want and they hired the ex-salary cap auditor on their payroll now to make sure they know what loopholes to take.

EDIT: Found it
Rich Lister Nick Politis has enjoyed a $290 million surge in personal wealth in the past two months after a jump in the share price of car dealership group AP Eagers as it closes in on full control of rival Automotive Holdings Group.
2 weeks ago. Can't read because paywalled - https://www.afr.com/companies/trans...itis-makes-290m-in-two-months-20190909-p52pbl

Last edited:
The biggest one for me that shows something seriously sketchy is going on is TKO.

Apparently he's on $280k or some shit (if you believe a Buzz article after his 20hr bender)... to me he's borderline Lolo, TPJ, Fonua Blake sort of levels... and should be more like $600-700k

If they wanted to they could play him 60-70 minutes at a high level... yet I've NEVER EVER seen any interest from any other team.

He's never in Mole or Lurker articles and you never seem to see his name pop up as being off contract.

He's either loyal as **** (unlikely considering he's a warriors junior), shrewd investor/ trust fund baby with millions in the bank.... or maybe his wife is working at Uncle Nick's car yard for $1.2m a year
TKO is a bloody excellent player, when he was starting lock he was racking up huge numbers and looked really good. For him to be on the bench is crazy. He'd be a walk up starter in just about any team I can think of. I'd have him at lock for the Broncos easily.

Last edited:
So apparently Suliasi Vunivalu might be on the outer with Bellamy as well.

Thoughts, BHQ? Would you be ruthless, tell Oates to find a new club and sign him(assuming salaries are even)? I'm not saying it would happen but if you were in charge would you push the idea?

I absolutely hate the **** but he's a genuine winger and try scorer.

If we can't get Holmes, then i would definitely take him (although, wouldn't break the bank for him)

I would also keep Oates ... despite the fact that he had a quieter than normal second half of the seasom, which i put down to the Boyd positional switch (his passes to Oates were about the only thing he did well in 2019, and i is something he needs to teach Milford (if Milf stays at the back) before he pisses off)

so for the minute, lets assume we don't get Holmes, Bird gets a release and we sign Vunivalu ... i can see a few decent backlines:

1. Milford
2. Oates
3. Isaako / best performing center in the trials
4. Staggs
5. Vunivalu

1. Milford
2. Isaako / best performing winger in the trials
3. Oates - i think he could go well here, in the Gene Miles style, defence could be a worry though
4. Staggs
5. Vunivalu

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. best performing center in the trials
4. Staggs
5. Vunivalu
6. Milford

this last one would be my least favoured as i don't think Isaako has the playmaking to be a quality modern day fullback

If we can't get Holmes, then i would definitely take him (although, wouldn't break the bank for him)

I would also keep Oates ... despite the fact that he had a quieter than normal second half of the seasom, which i put down to the Boyd positional switch (his passes to Oates were about the only thing he did well in 2019, and i is something he needs to teach Milford (if Milf stays at the back) before he pisses off)

so for the minute, lets assume we don't get Holmes, Bird gets a release and we sign Vunivalu ... i can see a few decent backlines:

1. Milford
2. Oates
4. Staggs
5. Vunivalu

1. Milford
3. Oates - i think he could go well here, in the Gene Miles style, defence could be a worry though
4. Staggs
5. Vunivalu

1. Isaako
2. Oates
4. Staggs
5. Vunivalu
6. Milford

this last one would be my least favoured as i don't think Isaako has the playmaking to be a quality modern day fullback

Dont Oates and Vuni play on the same side?

Broncos fans will be watching Croft very closely this weekend if reports of him being brought back into the halves are true.

What happens if Croft destroys the eels and goes on to lead Melbourne to a grand final.... we probably won’t get him.

What happens if Croft destroys the eels and goes on to lead Melbourne to a grand final.... we probably won’t get him.
But it's a done deal according to Lurker... no back flipping Bellamy this time round

1. Milford
2. Oates
4. Staggs
5. Vunivalu

1. Milford
4. Staggs
5. Vunivalu

1. Isaako
2. Oates
4. Staggs
5. Vunivalu
6. Milford

...oh come on Foordy...Isaako in the centres....seriously...!

Write down on paper 100 times..

"must do better" "must do better"....

We obviously need to free up some money. Boyd retiring and moving into another role in the club would be ideal but doesn’t seem likely. As much as I like Oates I think the fact he hasn’t re-signed yet makes him the easy target and an expensive winger is a luxury when we have Herbie, Coates and Perese in the squad. So sadly I would pull Oates offer and give the money to Croft.
1. Bird/Milford
2. Herbie/Coates/Perese
3. Staggs
4. Boyd (he won’t renew for the next year. No way he puts his body on the line for 400k when he could be doing office work).
5. Isaako
6. Bird/Milford
7. Croft.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • theshed
  • Browny
  • Jazza
  • KateBroncos1812
  • mitch222
  • davidp
  • Fitzy
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Kev_Guz
  • Bish
  • Skathen
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.