NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
Broncos loss to Bulldogs leaves finals hopes
resting on Tigers and Sharks clash

Peter Badel,
The Courier-Mail
September 7, 2019 8:16pm

caning

Forget Mad Monday. The Broncos will be gathering for Nervous Sunday. Angry Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold lashed his misfiring troops after the resurgent Bulldogs delivered a worrying jolt to the Broncos’ finals hopes with a 30-14 caning at Sydney’s ANZ Stadium. After two months walking the top-eight tightrope, the Broncos only had to dispose of the Bulldogs to finally ease any anxiety and qualify for their sixth consecutive finals campaign and first under coach Anthony Seibold. But Brisbane face a nailbiting vigil on the final afternoon of the regular season after Bulldogs winger Nick Meaney celebrated a hat-trick and a 22-point haul to bury the Broncos.

Anthony Milford shows his dejection after a Bulldogs try. Picture: Brett Hemmings/Getty Images

Anthony Milford shows his dejection after a Bulldogs try. Picture: Brett Hemmings/Getty Images

cack-handed lumbering oafs

Broncos players are certain to congregate to watch the Wests Tigers-Sharks clash at Leichhardt Oval in a game that will define Brisbane’s 2019 season. If the Tigers or Sharks win, the Broncos (25 competition points) will sneak into the finals in eighth spot and book an away trip to face Parramatta at Bankwest Stadium in the opening week of the playoffs. Should the Tigers and Sharks (24 points) play out an extra-time draw, both will qualify for the finals, a scenario that would relegate Brisbane to ninth spot.

no hope

The odds are still heavily in favour of Brisbane playing sudden-death football, but Seibold admits the Broncos are no hope of winning the premiership if they replicate the Bulldogs bash-up. “If you look at one game, we are no chance, absolutely no chance,” he fired. “If you look at our collective performance over the back end, we are some chance. “I’m a big negative at the moment because I am frustrated with what we dished up, it’s not good enough and I want to see actions.”

Payne Haas attempts to break through. Picture: Brett Hemmings/Getty Images

Payne Haas attempts to break through. Picture: Brett Hemmings/Getty Images

reality check

“It’s all attitude. The Bulldogs looked like they were playing for a place in the finals, not us.” Before 9807 fans at Homebush, the Broncos were comprehensively outplayed. The Bulldogs ran harder, displayed more energy and rolled effortlessly through the midfield to give the Broncos a stinging reality check of the desperation needed to be successful in September.

off the boil

With Dylan Napa (171m) and Josh Jackson (127m) leading the way, the Bulldogs were never headed, leading 12-10 at half-time before dominating the Broncos in the second stanza. Brisbane were off the boil all night and apart from a brief riposte late in the first half, when Kotoni Staggs scored twice, the Broncos rarely looked likely against a Canterbury team defending like the Dogs of War. “We didn’t build any pressure,” Seibold said. “We were way off.”

problematic

Brisbane’s playmaking spine remains problematic. Anthony Milford showed some zip at fullback but great halfbacks drive title campaigns and makeshift No.7 Jake Turpin has to take charge of Brisbane’s offence. Some solo brilliance from David Fifita and two-try Staggs gave Brisbane hope at 12-10 at half-time, but with everything to play for after the break, the Broncos were as limp as month-old lettuce. Now they wake today reaching for the Rosary Beads, praying the NRL footballing gods don’t deliver a Tigers-Sharks miracle.

twat

“We just hope it doesn’t go to a golden point draw,” Seibold lamented.

Last edited:

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
I hope Seibs ripped strips off them tbh. He's right that it comes down to attitude. We just did not turn up. Terrible.
Who’s fucking job is it to get them to turn up?

Wayne lost his job because we were inept in the finals last year. This **** has been doing it all season and has the audacity to be dirty at the team. He’s a fucking plodder.

Reactions: Dee

LittleDavey83

NRL Player
Bundy

Wayne lost his job because we were inept in the finals last year. This **** has been doing it all season and has the audacity to be dirty at the team. He’s a fucking plodder.
Wayne lost his job because for years after we dropped the GF (pun totally intended) we did fucking nothing except go backwards.

Sure, there's coaching issues with Seibs too. But the dropped balls are not on the coach. The lack of building any kind of pressure is not on the coach. The bad defensive reads are not on the coach. Yeah, he influences a hell of a lot but there's only so much he can do once the guys are out on the field. He has every right to be pissed at them after the shit they dished up lastnight. Or do you think the players are totally blameless and it's all on the coach?

I said it lastnight and I'll say it again, we have a YOUNG team and the ups and downs are a result of that moreso than the coaching. Especially when our experienced players are playing like busted has-beens.

It's clear you hate Seibs and aren't prepared to give him any more chances. We get it. Not everyone shares your view. What other coach/es would you replace him with next season?

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
Wayne lost his job because for years after we dropped the GF (pun totally intended) we did fucking nothing except go backwards.

Sure, there's coaching issues with Seibs too. But the dropped balls are not on the coach. The lack of building any kind of pressure is not on the coach. The bad defensive reads are not on the coach. Yeah, he influences a hell of a lot but there's only so much he can do once the guys are out on the field. He has every right to be pissed at them after the shit they dished up lastnight. Or do you think the players are totally blameless and it's all on the coach?

I said it lastnight and I'll say it again, we have a YOUNG team and the ups and downs are a result of that moreso than the coaching. Especially when our experienced players are playing like busted has-beens.

It's clear you hate Seibs and aren't prepared to give him any more chances. We get it. Not everyone shares your view. What other coach/es would you replace him with next season?
I don’t hate seibs, I don’t know the bloke.

It’s just clear as day he’s out of his depth as a coach.

With regards to who I’d have? Ideally we’d have WB still probably in the top 4 and building towards a premiership.

You want to talk about going backwards? How fucking far forward have we gone this year lol.

LittleDavey83

NRL Player
Bundy
He's a rookie coach in his second year. He has a lot to learn, I'm sure he'd be the first to admit it, so why doesn't he get the same grace as the young players? There's only one way to get experience and I can guarantee with his mindset, he will be reflecting a lot on this year and we'll see a different coach/team next year. Has any other team has as disrupted of a season as us? Tbh we're doing well just to make the finals...

If we still had WB, I speculate that we'd still likely have the majority of the players we've let go and as a result would likely have lost one or some of the young guns. I don't believe under WB we would be top 4, but there's no way to tell anyway. All I have to base my opinion on is that Souths are in 3rd with worse stats than our 2017 campaign and they have a far superior spine, plus have not had the issues with injury to key players that we've had this year.

In regards to going backwards...the yo-yo-ing downward trajectory is:
2015 finished 2nd (17-7, +195), we know what happened in the GF.
2016 finished 5th (15-9, +120), won the first final, rested week 2, knocked out wk 3.
2017 finished 3rd (16-8, +164), lost wk 1 final, won wk 2, belted in wk 3.
2018 finished 6th (15-9, +56), we know what happened in finals wk 1.

2019 finished (provisionally) 8th (11-1-12, -57), likely to get belted in finals week 1.

I didn't say we've gone forwards this year, objectively on results we have not. Though in my opinion, when you take the inexperience/injuries/disruption that has severely impacted this year, I believe the experience our young guys (and coach) have picked up will be invaluable in years to come.

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
He's a rookie coach in his second year. He has a lot to learn, I'm sure he'd be the first to admit it, so why doesn't he get the same grace as the young players? There's only one way to get experience and I can guarantee with his mindset, he will be reflecting a lot on this year and we'll see a different coach/team next year. Has any other team has as disrupted of a season as us? Tbh we're doing well just to make the finals...

If we still had WB, I speculate that we'd still likely have the majority of the players we've let go and as a result would likely have lost one or some of the young guns. I don't believe under WB we would be top 4, but there's no way to tell anyway. All I have to base my opinion on is that Souths are in 3rd with worse stats than our 2017 campaign and they have a far superior spine, plus have not had the issues with injury to key players that we've had this year.

2016 finished 5th (15-9, +120), won the first final, rested week 2, knocked out wk 3.

2019 finished (provisionally) 8th (11-1-12, -57), likely to get belted in finals week 1.

I didn't say we've gone forwards this year, objectively on results we have not. Though in my opinion, when you take the inexperience/injuries/disruption that has severely impacted this year, I believe the experience our young guys (and coach) have picked up will be invaluable in years to come.
He doesn’t get the same grace because he came in at the expense of the GOAT.

It’s like retiring Lockyer and handing the keys to Turpin to play in the halves.

LittleDavey83

NRL Player
Bundy
He doesn’t get the same grace because he came in at the expense of the GOAT.

It’s like retiring Lockyer and handing the keys to Turpin to play in the halves.
Trollolololol. The GOAT that half of the forum here has been calling to stand down for the past couple of years?

Remember Bennettball?? Nonexistent attack and relying on our defence to win games, then our defence going backwards with no improvement in our attack? **** me some people have short memories.

I love Bennett, don't get me wrong, but we were going backwards under him and needed a change. Give Seibs a settled off-season with a settled squad and we'll see if there's any changes. If there's not, I'll write him off then, but until then I'm still going to be on the fence.

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
Trollolololol. The GOAT that half of the forum here has been calling to stand down for the past couple of years?

Remember Bennettball?? Nonexistent attack and relying on our defence to win games, then our defence going backwards with no improvement in our attack? **** me some people have short memories.

I love Bennett, don't get me wrong, but we were going backwards under him and needed a change. Give Seibs a settled off-season with a settled squad and we'll see if there's any changes. If there's not, I'll write him off then, but until then I'm still going to be on the fence.
We scored 120 more points last year playing ‘Bennett-ball’ so back in ya box mate.

Half the forum were clearly fucking wrong innit?

Our for and against is worse this year than 2013 when we finished 13th for **** sake

Last edited:

raveenkari

QCup Player

actually in 2016 we won wk 1 then lost wk 2

raveenkari

QCup Player
If we're looking at who to blame for our current predicament lets look directly at our management, ie Paul White. okay and maybe Wayne too.

1. He green-lit Boyd re-signing. Which has lead to a broken spine
2. Totally shat the bed hard with the whole coaching situation.
3. Buying Bird instead of using the money on the current squad or buying a 6.

Seibold (imo) is trying the best he can with what hes got, which is a great forward pack with Alex McKinnon for a spine.

Lets see what happens in the off-season with regards to Boyd then we can start to scrutinize Seibold

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
If we're looking at who to blame for our current predicament lets look directly at our management, ie Paul White. okay and maybe Wayne too.

Seibold (imo) is trying the best he can with what hes got, which is a great forward pack with Alex McKinnon for a spine.

Lets see what happens in the off-season with regards to Boyd then we can start to scrutinize Seibold
That’s in pretty poor taste.

pagey

NRL Captain

We can still scrutinize him for his shit game plan and even worse selections.

Socnorb

NRL Captain

That's not why he list his job.

Locky888

NYC Player
What concerns me in that article is the fact Seibold never admitted to any wrong doing on his part. Placing Turpin @ half-back instead of SOS was obviously the wrong move to everyone and his blind dog....even before kick-off this was obvious. I reckon he'll do it again next week.

Last edited:

rnabokov

State of Origin Rep
Bangalow
What concerns me in that article is the fact Seibold never admitted to any wrong doing on his part. Placing Turpin @ half-back instead of SOS was obviously the wrong move to everyone and his blind dog....even before kick-off this was obvious. I reckon he'll do it again next week.
What pisses me off is the decision to play Turpin in the halves is more a consequence of the decision to keep Macca on the field, Macca the protected species for reasons known only to a select few. SOS's performances in the halves totally overshadow the piss poor performance of Turpin in the 7.

Turpin at 7 is simply unbelievably DUMB

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
What pisses me off is the decision to play Turpin in the halves is more a consequence of the decision to keep Macca on the field, Macca the protected species for reasons known only to a select few. SOS's performances in the halves totally overshadow the piss poor performance of Turpin in the 7.

Turpin at 7 is simply unbelievably DUMB
His defence was absolutely diabolical last night.
If he’s selected at 7 again I will be furious.
Turpin & Seibold owe Staggs & Isaako an apology because he made them look worse than they are (even though yes, they are bad)

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
His defence was absolutely diabolical last night.
If he’s selected at 7 again I will be furious.
Turpin & Seibold owe Staggs & Isaako an apology because he made them look worse than they are (even though yes, they are bad)
To be fair, a lot of us saw this coming when we becoming increasingly underwhelming in the trials as Seibold starting selecting his probables.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter