RUMOUR Broncos In Locker Room Scuffle After Rat Hunt Leak

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
There is a rather large rumour going around at the moment, not entirely sure if it's believable or where it originated.

Something along the lines of - The core group of players at the Broncos felt there was a "Media rat" in the team, so they fabricated the Gillett to Dragons rumour to see if anything surfaced in the media, and it did.. Not sure how much further it goes or anything, could be bullshit.

Re: Round 6 - Broncos vs Dragons

There is a rather large rumour going around at the moment, not entirely sure if it's believable or where it originated.

Something along the lines of - The core group of players at the Broncos felt there was a "Media rat" in the team, so they fabricated the Gillett to Dragons rumour to see if anything surfaced in the media, and it did.. Not sure how much further it goes or anything, could be bullshit.

Brisbane Broncos players find ‘rat’ who leaked Matt Gillett St George transfer rumours to media

That's pretty poor leadership. How about just sitting everyone down and promoting the tight nit culture rather then baiting someone and calling them a rat when they take the bait.

Providing the story is true of course.

Where is Joe
he will know whats going on

Edit

Last edited by a moderator:

holy shit DO'D is Roberts!

The rat pic is where it went wrong. The process they used to confirm the leak is an oldy, but the player identified should have been called aside and a quiet word shared. Unless the rat thing was just a joke that went bad, but again, poor choice of action.

Better to get this sorted now and not in week 20. I would expect Bennett to pull all parties aside and tear strips off them.

And I would suggest against speculating on who the "rat" is. With any luck we'll never know, meaning the leak is fixed and everyone has been suitably chastised. I'd rather have slightly less "inside knowledge" than a team with disharmony.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/broncos-in-locker-room-scuffle-after-rat-hunt-leak/news-story/0d9b8a3002f16e2025d38d9805a7bec6

A HEATED scuffle exploded in the Brisbane Broncos’ locker rooms this week over an incredible plot to identify a rat within the club’s player ranks, according to a report.In a story strongly denied by the Broncos, players reportedly had to be pulled apart in a heated confrontation before a training session leading into their 26-0 win over St George Illawarra at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday night.
Broncos senior players set out to identify a mole in their own playing ranks by telling the suspect a unique version of a news story and then waited to see which version flushed out on the other end and was reported in media.
It worked perfectly, according to Triple M Brisbane Marto and Ed Kavalee For Breakfast host and former Wallaby great Greg Martin, who said the senior players easily identified the mole and sensationally plastered a picture of a rat on the player’s locker.
A Broncos spokesman said no scuffle took place.
The news story surrounded reports this week Queensland State of Origin forward Matt Gillett is being shopped around to the Dragons because of the club’s salary cap pressures.
Martin says the club is in turmoil over the rat hunt and is the main reason the club produced an ugly performance on Thursday night, despite cruising to an easy victory.
It was reported by The Courier-Mail on Wednesday Gillett was being hunted by the Dragons as a marquee recruit for 2017.
The scuffle between the player identified as the rat and the player believed to have posted the picture on the locker reportedly occurred during Wednesday morning’s capt’s run training session.

“I’m just telling you what I know — they might watch Game of Thrones just like you,” Martin told Triple M.
“This has been festering for a week, remember that story two days ago, back page of Courier Mail, Matt Gillett being shopped around to St George, I’m hearing that ain’t true.
“Yes he is being shopped around by his manager, but not to St George. That was a plant to discover something.
“There’s a bit of trouble in the ranks at the Broncos. There’s a leak. There’s been far too many stories.
“They like to keep some things close, there’s been a few too many stories coming out of the Broncos. Nothing too serious, but they’re worried about someone within their ranks, the players and the core group of the Broncos.
“A lot of footballers talk to their managers and their managers are often the blabber mouths.”
Martin claims the players cooked up a scheme to identify the potential mole following their win over the Gold Coast Titans last Friday.
He said the coaching staff was not involved in the plot. “They had some suspects who the leak was and they cooked up a couple of stories that only that suspect would know,” he said.

“They said: ‘I’ll tell you something to one player then I’ll tell you something to another player and I’ll tell you something to another player’.
“One of the stories was about Gillett going to St George. And when it appeared, bang, they knew who leaked it.”
Martin said that leak resulted in players posting a picture of a rat on the suspect’s locker.
Then things got out of hand.
“That person had a picture of a rat placed on his locker in the dressing rooms,” he said.
“A scuffle ensued between the player with the rat that was placed there and the player that he thought had placed it there.
“Training started and (coach) Wayne Bennett had to settle everything down, that’s how they went into last night’s game against St George.
“Wayne Bennett didn’t drive it, this little group of players said ‘we’re sick of somebody, if we are going to be such a tight team we can’t have anybody leaking stuff’.
“The player didn’t mean to leak it he just told his manager. He may have a blabber mouth manager.”
Bennett admitted after his team’s win on Thursday night he was far from impressed with their on-field performance.
“I just didn’t like the way we played tonight. It was a disjointed game,” Bennett said.
“The first half never really happened, for either team.
“To their credit we lost a game three weeks ago against Penrith because we couldn’t close a game.
“Tonight we made sure we held on.
“We just couldn’t get momentum. We are at our best when the game was flowing and the game wasn’t flowing.”

I don't like anything about this. If any of this is true it is incredibly poor leadership from the senior players, as Morkel said above sticking the picture of a rat on the locker was stupid, pull the player aside and deal with it like that.

Very disappointed.

A friend of mine tells me the "rat" was not in the top 17.

this sounds pretty ridiculous, tho does explain last night sort of..

but really "too many stories"?.. what fucking info has even actually been leaked this year? lol this story is probably a plant! how the hell would this info have gotten out even? unless WB is playing mind games level 9999 and is trying to foster some inner sanctum shit

kind of worrying, not alhambra level shit but still, this would suck massive sacks

I don't see the issue with the senior players doing this, if it was indeed a younger player, they're the best to sort it out.

Active Now

• lynx000
  • Fitzy
  • Foordy
  • Scorchie
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • Johnny92
  • Scdeac
  • broncs30
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • The Don
  • Broncorob
  • Painin the Haas
  • Bish
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.