NEWS Broncos leadership vacuum could see Darius Boyd retain captaincy

Next season will be an action replay of last season. Can't wait for the 2020 lowlight reel with benny hill sountrack. The lads will know to lose by less than 58 in round 1 of finals to avoid disappointing the fans and sponsors and all will be well with the world again.

Self interest will be our saviour. No way Seibs will keep selecting Boyd if he is stinking it up again because I don't think Seibs would be prepared to sacrifice his coaching career to stay loyal to Darius.

Self interest will be our saviour. No way Seibs will keep selecting Boyd if he is stinking it up again because I don't think Seibs would be prepared to sacrifice his coaching career to stay loyal to Darius.

I'd like to believe it man but we were saying this since about round 8 of last season. "Surely... SURELY this can't go on...." And here we are. Off season. Training the house down, no doubt. Fitter and faster than ever, no doubt. Ready to break that premiership drought again....

Boyd shouldn't even be in the team unless one of Staggs and/or Bird is injured and then Coates, Farnworth, and Perese are all unavailable.

That being said, it sounds like he's a lock if these media article are to be believed. It's going to be funny seeing Bird, a guy who was the form centre in the comp before injury, benched for him in round one. I don't even want to consider Staggs being left out for him. If Boyd is somehow in the spine I'll probably pass out from shock/rage.

I'd like to believe it man but we were saying this since about round 8 of last season. "Surely... SURELY this can't go on...." And here we are. Off season. Training the house down, no doubt. Fitter and faster than ever, no doubt. Ready to break that premiership drought again....
Difference being last year Seibold wasn't on notice. He knows he won't survive a similar season

I know some are critical of what Oates has said, but really what else is he supposed to say?

Boyd is still the C as it stands, and it's not like Corey has called a presser to back Boyd

He has been asked by a journo if he backs Boyd, and he really can't say anything other than yes, and if I was coach I'd be pissed if he didn't back the current C

He then went on to say the whole team needs to take responsibility for the rubbish oh 2019, which is a positive

Honestly, I think he handled it quite well

He has been asked by a journo if he backs Boyd, and he really can't say anything other than yes
Yes is good. If he has to elaborate say I made db the godfather of my children thats how much my family respect him. board and coach make captaincy and leadership decisions. I am not going to comment on that. ****. Tell some story about how good a bloke he is in a game of beach cricket or something. Don't start running through the qualities an NRL captain needs and how the current captain Muppet ticks every box. We saw the games.

If db were a good captain he would realise even the 3 on 2s have dried up and he is gone from making Corey quotes look like a star on the field to a deluded apologist off the field.

Yes is good. If he has to elaborate say I made db the godfather of my children thats how much my family respect him. board and coach make captaincy and leadership decisions. I am not going to comment on that. ****. Tell some story about how good a bloke he is in a game of beach cricket or something. Don't start running through the qualities an NRL captain needs and how the current captain Muppet ticks every box. We saw the games.

Not backing the Captain is the difficult/controversial position, and as such a 'no comment' response is going to be taken that way, so IMO 'no comment' and 'I want my Captain sacked' are not very different.

I think Corey handled himself well, and I don't think what he thinks has any bearing on the decision the club will make, so it probably doesn't matter much anyway.

Pete Badel is definitely an expert fisherman

Seems like a master at exaggerating the size of his catch too.

It wouldn't surprise me that these last 15 articles were all extrapolated from a single 30 second interview with Oates.

I never really expected Boyd to lose the captaincy.

We don't really have any other option now that Gillett is retired. We could probably give it to Glenn but then we would need to have a second captain as he isn't an 80 minute player. I've always hated co-captaincies so I'm not a fan of that idea.

The obvious answer is is to make Glenn captain or at least co-captain. Whether that happens. Who knows?
At this point, I doubt even Arnold does, though he certainly should.
Changing captains won't fundamentally change our fortunes though as our problems run a lot deeper than that.
[automerge]1573821058[/automerge]
The obvious answer is is to make Glenn captain or at least co-captain. Whether that happens. Who knows?
At this point, I doubt even Arnold does, though he certainly should.
Changing captains won't fundamentally change our fortunes though as our problems run a lot deeper than that.
"Arnold"is Siebold hehe

Last edited:
I think it’s obvious we have different expectations of the captain then Oates does. We are focused on game day and leadership on the field and Oates clearly thinks this comes from a number of players but it doesn’t seem very well organised.
Oates thinks that the job of captain is all about handling the media and the pressure that comes from the week to week performances. From his point of view Boyd is excellent at ignoring criticism and putting out fluff pieces that distract people from the week to week questioning that comes from poor performances.
This is a real problem because I think an inspirational leader can make a difference when things are going wrong in a game but obviously Oates sees his captain as a media spokesman.
The question that interests me though is who is putting the pressure on our captain to be a media darling? Does the club as an economic entity require a footballer to be an ambassador? If Lodge is the guy that the players will listen to in a huddle behind the goalposts when the pressure is on then he’s the one I want for captain and let the club pay professional spin doctors to push their economic agenda.
The time has come for us to achieve success on the field again to affirm our status rather than flashing the club’s bank balance and moral superiority as proof of how wonderful we are.

I think it’s obvious we have different expectations of the captain then Oates does. We are focused on game day and leadership on the field and Oates clearly thinks this comes from a number of players but it doesn’t seem very well organised.
Oates thinks that the job of captain is all about handling the media and the pressure that comes from the week to week performances. From his point of view Boyd is excellent at ignoring criticism and putting out fluff pieces that distract people from the week to week questioning that comes from poor performances.
This is a real problem because I think an inspirational leader can make a difference when things are going wrong in a game but obviously Oates sees his captain as a media spokesman.
The question that interests me though is who is putting the pressure on our captain to be a media darling? Does the club as an economic entity require a footballer to be an ambassador? If Lodge is the guy that the players will listen to in a huddle behind the goalposts when the pressure is on then he’s the one I want for captain and let the club pay professional spin doctors to push their economic agenda.
The time has come for us to achieve success on the field again to affirm our status rather than flashing the club’s bank balance and moral superiority as proof of how wonderful we are.

100%. Success needs to come on the field first. Couldn’t care if we were the poorest club in the league so long as we’re winning.

Because if that’s not your priority, from CEO to the lowest level employee, then what’s the point of being a football club? May as well just be a ‘business company’.

The club being public has obligations as far as being profitable of course, and being part of community programs and charity work and such, but when it comes down to it, we’re a club that should be winning competitions, and people will always back a winner. We need to become that again. Being the nice guys of the league has gotten us nowhere, and fast.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Brocko
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Jazza
  • Alec
  • Volvo Driver
  • Painin the Haas
  • Johnny92
  • The Strapper
  • Bish
  • Mister Wright
  • BroncosAlways
  • Lurker
  • azza.79
  • bazza
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Big Del
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.