NEWS Broncos leadership vacuum could see Darius Boyd retain captaincy

I think it’s obvious we have different expectations of the captain then Oates does. We are focused on game day and leadership on the field and Oates clearly thinks this comes from a number of players but it doesn’t seem very well organised.
Oates thinks that the job of captain is all about handling the media and the pressure that comes from the week to week performances. From his point of view Boyd is excellent at ignoring criticism and putting out fluff pieces that distract people from the week to week questioning that comes from poor performances.
This is a real problem because I think an inspirational leader can make a difference when things are going wrong in a game but obviously Oates sees his captain as a media spokesman.
The question that interests me though is who is putting the pressure on our captain to be a media darling? Does the club as an economic entity require a footballer to be an ambassador? If Lodge is the guy that the players will listen to in a huddle behind the goalposts when the pressure is on then he’s the one I want for captain and let the club pay professional spin doctors to push their economic agenda.
The time has come for us to achieve success on the field again to affirm our status rather than flashing the club’s bank balance and moral superiority as proof of how wonderful we are.
I just don't understand how you presume to know what other people think. I mean, what special power do you have that no other human to my knowledge posesses?

You say you know what Oates thinks but I reckon you have no idea, the same as the rest of us. I just lose all hope for and faith in humanity when this kind of self delusion is in place.

I just don't understand how you presume to know what other people think. I mean, what special power do you have that no other human to my knowledge posesses?

You say you know what Oates thinks but I reckon you have no idea, the same as the rest of us. I just lose all hope for and faith in humanity when this kind of self delusion is in place.
Try reading the article before embarrassing yourself. I think I summed up what Oates was saying reasonably well.

Seems like a master at exaggerating the size of his catch too.

It wouldn't surprise me that these last 15 articles were all extrapolated from a single 30 second interview with Oates.
I have thought that all along as well. Probably a short phone call and voila.

Try reading the article before embarrassing yourself. I think I summed up what Oates was saying reasonably well.
Nope, you didn't. You apparently KNOW what he thinks. You stated: Oates thinks that the job of captain is all about handling the media and the pressure that comes from the week to week performances.

That clearly means that Oates thinks these are the ONLY things that are part of being the team captain. How can you know this? I'd say Oates would understand very well there is more to the job.

I think it’s obvious we have different expectations of the captain then Oates does. We are focused on game day and leadership on the field and Oates clearly thinks this comes from a number of players but it doesn’t seem very well organised.
Oates thinks that the job of captain is all about handling the media and the pressure that comes from the week to week performances. From his point of view Boyd is excellent at ignoring criticism and putting out fluff pieces that distract people from the week to week questioning that comes from poor performances.
This is a real problem because I think an inspirational leader can make a difference when things are going wrong in a game but obviously Oates sees his captain as a media spokesman.
The question that interests me though is who is putting the pressure on our captain to be a media darling? Does the club as an economic entity require a footballer to be an ambassador? If Lodge is the guy that the players will listen to in a huddle behind the goalposts when the pressure is on then he’s the one I want for captain and let the club pay professional spin doctors to push their economic agenda.
The time has come for us to achieve success on the field again to affirm our status rather than flashing the club’s bank balance and moral superiority as proof of how wonderful we are.

it is incredibly foolish to think you know what Oates expectations of a captain are from that media piece ...

especially since no player ever goes against their captain (and friend) publicly.

Pete Badel is definitely an expert fisherman

To give you an idea on how egotistical he is, I have heard from a source that is friends with his family that our resident Bronco basher has given himself the self proclaimed nicknames ‘Badster’ and ‘The Badelinator’

it is incredibly foolish to think you know what Oates expectations of a captain are from that media piece ...

especially since no player ever goes against their captain (and friend) publicly.
Let’s be honest, it’s not hard to know what’s going on in Corey’s head.

His cousin, who has known him his entire life, tells me this is a pretty fair representation.

Last edited:
Let’s be honest, it’s not hard to know what’s going on in Corey’s head.

His cousin, who has known him his entire life, tells me this is a pretty fair representation.
View attachment 6636
You know, I rather think the cousin is probably right. Ooo, look, a shiney thing.

I had to laugh at Milford being our next best option. We would essentially be replacing one overpaid captain who is not putting in on the field with another. Absolute suckers for punishment.
Honestly Milford, for me, captaincy starts with at a minimum solid commited defence which just isn't in his bag of tricks

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Griffo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.