Broncos lock the jet away long term

cakeGG

cakeGG

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2016
I was just on Twitter and saw James Roberts trending and I thought "oh no plz no incident" lol.

Congrats on the 4 year deal Jimmy!

Oh look fucking LU is having a sook yet again lol.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

are you really surprised ... there is a reason that i rarely go on there anymore ..

e.g.

The whinge that we only ever get Friday games, Paul White comes out stating that the club would like their fair share of Sunday home games instead of Friday games every week and they start whinging about that.

e.g. 2

The tell out how shit our team is every pre-season and that we have no change at making the 8, only to accuse us of cap cheating in the very next sentance

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
I was just on Twitter and saw James Roberts trending and I thought "oh no plz no incident" lol.

Congrats on the 4 year deal Jimmy!

Haha I just went and had a read of it. We can't even re-sign somebody that already plays for us without being called cap cheats. To any lurkers pissed off with this signing: Go **** yourself.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
The "no salary cap" calls are out again all over Facebook... it's hilarious I think. When people hate us that shows we are doing well... at the start of the year most of these same people tipped us to miss the 8, we've lost more talent and develop more then any other club in the nrl, we don't have any top 10 or future immortals in our squad, we have 2 current state of origin players (+ Boyd out injured) in our squad compared to 7 at the storm, and the evidence people have are 1 or 2 figures for our top players that was said by Jeff in a Facebook comment, or worse yet, by a "journalist" in the Sydney media who actually hate the broncos and pluck figures out of the a bin...

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
Broncos are going to cop a bit of grief about Wayne's admission that James Roberts has given up using drugs.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Defamatory

Last edited by a moderator:
JayPee

JayPee

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2017
Where are all the parrots on this forum that said he was one of the worst signings in a while and saying he just can't keep out of trouble. Conveniently gone missing the last two to three months. Should be playing state of origin next year. Good signing for the Broncs. Especially the length

Horseheadsup

Horseheadsup

NRL Player
Mar 21, 2016
Where are all the parrots on this forum that said he was one of the worst signings in a while and saying he just can't keep out of trouble. Conveniently gone missing the last two to three months. Should be playing state of origin next year. Good signing for the Broncs. Especially the length
I was one. I thought he was bringing the Broncos into disrepute. Glad he's turned himself around, it's wonderful.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
BRISBANE coach Wayne Bennett has revealed the extent of James Roberts’ problems included drug use after the in-form centre on Thursday inked a four-year extension with the Broncos.
Roberts has received a huge boost in the lead-up to Friday night’s clash against Parramatta, signing the most lucrative deal of his career to remain at the Broncos until the end of 2021.
But it has been a turbulent journey for the flyer, who just nine months ago hit rock bottom when he checked into a rehab facility in Thailand to address some off-field problems.
Roberts has been sacked by two other NRL clubs for alcohol-related indiscretions, but Bennett on Thursday made the stunning admission that the NSW Origin hopeful had also dabbled in drugs.
“James has had a remarkable change,” Bennett said.
“Off the field with his behaviour ... he has made some real commitments there.
“It’s not easy to do what he has done. He has given up alcohol and given up drugs.
“He has been in that situation for six or seven months and it’s been game-changing for him and that’s why he has got a four-year contract.
“His behaviour and attitude to his fellow teammates has changed. It is not all about James anymore. It is about the team and he interacts really well with them and is valued by them.
“When we bought James, we realised he had some problems, we weren’t that naive, but he continues to improve and what he has done has been quite remarkable.
“When he came here, you couldn’t say he was part of the team, but he is now, he is a real important part of the team and an equal with everyone else. They respect him and he makes a real contribution now.”
At the press conference announcing the $2 million deal, the star centre sat expressionless beside Bennett as the coach spoke of Roberts’ battles with alcohol and drugs.
The 24-year-old admitted his stint in rehab proved a major turning point, triggering the on-field form that has seen him score 13 tries in 17 games this season.
“Going to Thailand was a big thing,” he said. “I had a few months to myself and to think about myself. It made me realise a lot of things and thinking about my son made me realise there are more important things than just myself.
“Getting my life off the field has been the main factor here and the Broncos have done a wonderful job.
“They are a family orientated club and that’s what I’m all about. Over the last few months I have learnt to enjoy my family a lot more, I have a beautiful son now, so I’m looking forward to bringing him up in Brisbane.”
‘The Jet’ is the eighth Bronco to sign a new deal in the past four months as Brisbane build a squad determined to snap the club’s 11-year title drought.
Broncos chief executive Paul White said securing Roberts was a big moment for the club.
“We are excited that James has agreed to commit to the Broncos for another four years,” said White.
“The club is proud of the support we have shown James, but also the responsibility he has taken on to earn this new contract.
“The long-term nature of the contract is a show of faith by the Broncos in James, but also by James in the Broncos.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...l/news-story/1069705273264bef6daa8324fc82e7b1

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Such is the huge impact the "hive mind" effect can have. We literally can't sign a single established player without being smeared as cap cheats, while other clubs snatch up our juniors in a heartbeat and nobody bats an eyelash

Ese'Ese > Knights
Wallace > Titans
Taylor > Titans
Hunt > Dragons

Bird > Broncos
Roberts retained
Nikorima retained

"DERRR LOOK THEY'RE CHEATS"

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Such is the huge impact the "hive mind" effect can have. We literally can't sign a single established player without being smeared as cap cheats, while other clubs snatch up our juniors in a heartbeat and nobody bats an eyelash

Ese'Ese > Knights
Wallace > Titans
Taylor > Titans
Hunt > Dragons

Bird > Broncos
Roberts retained
Nikorima retained

"DERRR LOOK THEY'RE CHEATS"

Yes of course but we are the o LU o we that get figures bandied around.

You also have to remember that we significantly upgraded or are upgrading Milf and Boyd.

That said, Roosters re-sign players and bring in Tedesco for the loss of Guerra and Evans and no questions asked.

Dogs sign Foran and Woods and lose Reynolds, no worries all good.

Sharks sign everyone, no worries play on.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009

Media - they just can't help themselves.

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
Alcohol is literally a drug. Is this not a known thing?

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

Media - they just can't help themselves.

All of this stuff about Roberts drug and alcohol abuse really does show that the star players get special treatment.

We've had rookies sacked for far less. The strict code of conduct the Broncos prided themselves on is a myth.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
Alcohol is literally a drug. Is this not a known thing?

The term 'drugs and alcohol' makes all the alcohol addicts feel better. This is Australia, after all.

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • Jedhead
  • Manofoneway
  • Bish
  • Allo
  • Fozz
  • The Strapper
  • Mister Wright
  • Strop
  • Dash
  • BroncosAlways
  • bert_lifts
  • Hoof Hearted
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.