NEWS Broncos need to have tough conversation with Boyd

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain
The Brisbane Broncos are facing the ugly scenario of needing to have a very tough conversation with club captain Darius Boyd.
29 June 2019
FoxSports

Boyd, 31, has been a champion player since debuting for the Broncos aged 18.
Two premierships (Broncos 2006, Dragons 2010), the Clive Churchill Medal in 2010, 28 matches for Queensland and 23 Tests for Australia, Boyd has done it all in the game.

Boyd's horror night

But the reality is the Brisbane Broncos captain is in the worst form slump of his career and Broncos coach Anthony Seibold may soon be forced to axe him from the side.
After winning just five of 14 games since switching from Redfern to Red Hill, Seibold is staring down the barrel of becoming the first Broncos coach since Anthony Griffin in 2013 to miss the finals.
In a ploy to try and ignite his skipper, Seibold made the call to switch Boyd to five-eighth and play Anthony Milford at fullback against the Knights.

While Milford was one of Brisbane’s best in the second half, the result for Boyd was a disaster.
Aside from having only one run for seven metres, the Broncos captain made a couple of costly errors.
There was a kickoff guaranteed to go out on the full which the Broncos captain inexplicably decided to catch and then a defensive error late in the game which led to the Knights sealing the match.
Jesse Ramien ran over Boyd in the lead up to a second half try.

Source: Getty Images

Right now the Broncos are desperate for a leader to galvanise a young side struggling to adapt to a new style under a new coach.
Unfortunately, Boyd is struggling for form and not the player who can lead by example like a Boyd Cordner or a Sam Burgess.
The Broncos have got some big decisions to make
------

The media are on to him now. Hopefully this will pressure Seibold into action early.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stu_9

QCup Player
There comes a time when enough is enough.
We have put up with his pathetic performances the entire of last year, and half this season.
Surely the players would now even be questioning Darius not only as captain, but also as a player within this 17.
It makes an easy out the other 16 players and sets an extremely bad example for these young blokes coming through.
It’s not acceptable and it has now gotten to a point where we are the laughing stock of the nrl.
I’d love to know what goes on in these video reviews.

Purple Pills

QCup Player
Does anyone know how to contact the ceo. There's no way I am renewing my membership if boyd doesn't retire, and mccullough gets dropped or released.
Enough is enough. They've had a free ride since 2017 but the excuses have ran out.
Don’t worry, once the media jump onto the disillusioned fan base it will have a snowball effect. Darius has been called out in snippets during the year but I think most have been trying to be way too respectful and kind to really shed the blowtorch on him. That may change now that it is 2/3 of the way through the season and the performances keep getting more alarming.

I think you’ll find a small minority of people will stop attending games or spending money on the club now that it’s gotten to this point, and then the longer it goes on the more people that will follow lead. Then when ratings and crowd numbers drop dramatically and it hits the club where it REALLY hurts them, then maybe, just maybe it will finally force the tough decision to be made sooner rather than later.

NSW stables

QCup Player
A lot of people on here were questionning glenn's position in the side in the future before the season started.

Now i think he is one the most consistent player who puts in an effort each match and probably our best performing senior player at the moment.

It could be a controversial opinion on here but i think glenn would be a decent captaincy choice. He works hard in the game and at training and performed when his position was challenged (by players with 'potential'). He is popular in the playing group too and has captained the team before.

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
Does anyone know how to contact the ceo. There's no way I am renewing my membership if boyd doesn't retire, and mccullough gets dropped or released.
Enough is enough. They've had a free ride since 2017 but the excuses have ran out.
Just email the club. White is actually pretty accomodating. If you go at the right time, you will probably see him at Red Hill but these days i dont really know when that is.
- Merged

I do feel for Darius. I dont buy and never have that he doesnt try, but i do think the longer the year is going on its clear he is both mentally and physically shot. He just cant do it anymore. I actually think he will give it away at the end of this year.

Last edited:

Matheos

BRL Player
Sydney
We have been watching medicority for too long and have dismantled half our squad in the space of 5 months. The club is f*cked.
Retire Boyd immediately, offer Ponga a $1m per season deal and he can get released from Newcastle on homesick and compassionate grounds. Will be the only shining light of what is a ridiculous low 2019....

Last edited:

BroncsFan

NRL Player
were Darius' last 2 years of the contract player options and if so has there been word he will go around again??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter