Broncos NYC 2015

Just as an aside, I thought the way they handled the timing of the game was pretty stupid. Fans were camped outside trying to avoid the sun waiting for the gates to open at 4:30pm. At which point, fans walked in and straight away the ground announcer is there reading names off a list. By the time I gathered my Big League and found my seat, it was 90 seconds into the game.

Brisbane Broncos 36 (Byrnes, Arrow, Te Rupe, Nikorima, Wolens, Taylor, Lavea tries; Nikorima 0/2, Taylor 4/6 goals) South Sydney 10 (Simone, Crichton tries; Hedges 1/2 goals)

So by the time I found my seat, the Broncos had gone close to scoring with Te Rupe dropping the final pass with the try line begging. Souths nearly made the Broncos pay for it as they received a penalty but it backfired on them as Byrnes scooped up a fairly innocuous grubber kick, saw that no one was in-front of him and raced 90m to score untouched.

Unfortunately instead of going on with it, the Broncos gave Souths another opportunity off the kick-off as Ofahengaue positioned himself poorly. Instead of earning a penalty on half-way, the Broncos were forced to defend their try line. It could have been costly against a better side, fortunately Souths botched a simple fringe pass to the second row.

Moments later, Taylor was able to turn the tide with an attempted 40/20 kick. The Souths winger, Damon Goolagong was able to get there but Souths made a meal of the next play and Arrow was there to pounce to extend the Broncos lead.

Brisbane looked to have all the momentum at that point with the likes of Sua, Ofahengaue, Arrow and Fai running rampant and Taylor forcing goal-line drop outs but unfortunately Berrell spilled it and Souths made them pay as they went 80 odd metres in one set to score down the Broncos left corner. In fairness to Drew and Dodd, the damage had been done in the middle and it was a simple numbers game for the Souths men. In back-play one of the Souths players was cleaned up and I just wonder whether or not it was Liam Coleman since he didn't play any part in the second half.

Brisbane had the next two opportunities but couldn't make the most of it. I believe the first saw Ash Taylor put in a grubber kick near the uprights, the ball spilled free for a Bronco but they were unable to ground it. Then seconds later, Souths spilled it, Jayden came away with it and put in a audicious chip kick towards the try line for Jacob Gagai but unfortunately the Souths player came up with it and did very well to get back into the field of play.

Fortunately Jayden would make ammends as the Broncos worked their way down into Souths territory, Jayden found himself one on one against Olive who he beat for pace before handing the ball to TeRupe who scored on debut. Despite improving the position, Taylor couldn't convert the try and Brisbane were still goal-less despite scoring three tries.

Brisbane went back to back off a penalty as Jayden once again found himself on the outside of Olive and made a daring leap for the try line which he was just able to reach before going into touch.

However, they weren't done. Off another penalty, Ash Taylor caught the fullback out of position enabling prop forward Tim Wolens to claim a try on debut. Taylor was finally able to convert to give Brisbane a 22-4 lead which looked like the score going into half-time.

However, they weren't done with. After working their way into Souths half, they received a penalty where it looked like they were going to take the two. However, they clearly didn't have any faith in their kickers so they decided to take the tap instead and go for the trick play with Taylor putting in a shrewd chip kick for Nikorima. Unfortunately Nikorima was blatantly taken out, ruining what could have been a good try. Instead the Broncos received another penalty in a better position, took the two and went into the sheds 24-4.

Second half began where the first left off. Brisbane received a penalty and the Broncos made the most of it, with Taylor going to the line and forcing his way over to score.

Brisbane received another penalty, this time for a high tackle on Ofahengaue that hurt him a little and forced him to come off. Unfortunately, the streak came to an end as Nikorima was shown the sideline after once getting on the outside of both of his defenders.

This is where the game really began to get scrappy. Both teams started making errors inside the Broncos territory and it wasn't until Taylor was able to boot it out of there into touch that the game changed again. Brisbane had their chances to increase their lead but blew them on two seperate occasions. Arrow threw a desperate offload to Saitaua who spilled it in one instance and on the other Dodd wasn't able to plant a chip kick over the line despite being in the clear.

Eventually Souths made them pay as Crichton beat some would be defence to power over for Souths on their left hand-side. At 30-10, Souths still had a long way to go, but if the Broncos let them score another quick try it was going to be game on.

Fortunately the Broncos held on and despite being unable to convert opportunities, they eventually found their way over with Taylor putting in a grubber for Lavea to score with nobody home and the Broncos were able to have a bit of fun with the final few minutes remaining.

Notes

A lot of stand-outs for Brisbane. Byrnes was really safe at the back, Drew was a handful everytime he had the ball and ran like Mick Hancock refusing to yield, Nikorima was enigmatic, TeRupe was a handful but showed some good maturity at times too, Taylor was back to his best, Ofahengaue had a couple of strong carries, Sua looks like he could be something special, Barr was busy and Arrow is like an assassin out there.

Good first 50 minutes then not much after that.

Taylor was strong, he showed what a off-season can do fully fit. Couple of soft tries to Souths in the first half which didn't impress.

No injuries.

Jayden Nikorima played well in the centres. Looked strong against his opposite by breaking the tackle numerous times. His winger won't get a lot of ball this year though.

Great game report BigPete, better than the one on the Broncs site.

No worries.

I could have kept writing but at a 1000 words, it was about essay length (throw in an academic intro, conclusion and references and that's about as much content I'll write for some of them) and I didn't want to keep prattling on.

If anyone has any specific questions about the players or the side, I'll do my best to answer them.

No worries.

I could have kept writing but at a 1000 words, it was about essay length (throw in an academic intro, conclusion and references and that's about as much content I'll write for some of them) and I didn't want to keep prattling on.

If anyone has any specific questions about the players or the side, I'll do my best to answer them.

Bloody enjoyed it mate, so keep them coming. Only got to see last end of the game but spoke to a few guys who did see it and they agreed with your standout players in Arrow, Taylor, Sua and Nikorima. That would be the only thing I would have against Nikorima as centre, the winger might get left out in the cold a bit. But the kid is a superstar no doubt about that.

Great work Big Pete. I was lucky to see the trial against the Capras. Jayden absolutely destroyed them. Do you know what has happened to Collins and Pickersgill. Both also trailed very well.

Yeah those young kids, certainly picking up where they left off, eh.

Nikorima according to the ground announcer at Suncorp.

Thanks BP
I was going to the game but got waylaid by an old friend at the Paddo and missed it.

I am interested to see what position they have in mind for Jayden, seems like they might be making him a centre

If the 20s side could produce a winger like yow yeh this year I would be happy.

Still baffled the 20's side can't be posted with the NRL list. So many clubs have been able to list both the NYC and ISC team players. Wouldn't it be great to see who the signed bronco squad are playing for.

Agreed. The NRL should fine them too. And they should have updated the player profiles by now.

BRONCOS NYC TEAM
1. Paul Byrnes
2. Jarryd Dodd
3. Jordan Drew
4. Jayden Nikorima
5. Nikau Terupe
6. Jacob Gagai
7. Ash Taylor
8. George Fai
9. Jayden Berrell
10. Tim Wolens
11. Jaydn Sua
12. Alex Barr
13. Jai Arrow
Interchange:
14. Kalolo Saitaua
15. Keegan Hipgrave
16. Sam Lavea
17. Brendon McBryde
Coach: Craig Hodges

Ofahengaue promoted to first grade, Wolens comes onto the bench with Australian Schoolboys Prop, Keegan Hipgrave, set to make his NYC debut.

Great game report BigPete, better than the one on the Broncs site.

Totally agree there. I find the NYC game report on the Broncos site is very badly written and often doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't know who writes it but I wouldn't give them a job as a journalist. I think they should use your report, Pete.

I don't think the Broncos give very good coverage to their NYC side. Some of us follow the Holden Cup with just as much interest as the NRL side but it's really hard to find a lot of info. The Broncos website hasn't even got the NYC Ladder up yet. They are still showing the 2014 ladder.

Also, I would love to see an occasional story about the NYC team on Broncos Insider.

Active Now

• Wild Horse
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  • Rambstien
  • Fitzy
  • Xzei
  • Mr Fourex
  • Foordy
  • Justwin
  • Bish
  • bb_gun
  • Harry Sack
  • Skathen
  • Mighty Bronx
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Mustafur
  • GCBRONCO
  • I bleed Maroon
  • PETERN
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.