Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mole hints at a return of Chris Walker to the Broncos, I hope it's just another brain fart or joke of his.

TBF thing in RLW Mole did not hint at a return as in it is something that is happening. It simply said that he is playing for the Ipswich Jets this season and if Bennett came calling he would love to play for the broncos again. That's hardly hinting at a return TBH

Fair enough, tbh I only saw it on Twitter and haven't read the magazine its in.

This is the para from the Mole (from Rugby League Week).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 94
[h=1]Broncos make play for Dane Gagai after securing younger brother Jacob[/h]

• CHRIS GARRY
  • THE COURIER-MAIL
  • FEBRUARY 13, 2015 12:00AM

THE Broncos are ready to play their final ace to lure outstanding centre Dane Gagai home — his younger brother Jacob. Jacob, 19, has signed with the Broncos because he was homesick in Newcastle and he could be the clincher to Dane becoming Justin Hodges’ successor at centre.

Jacob is a highly talented playmaker and outside back who the Knights wanted to keep and he could become a star in his own right at the Broncos after moving to Brisbane.

With Jacob and his mentor Wayne Bennett at Brisbane, it will be difficult for Dane to knock back an offer from Red Hill which is sure to come. Gagai has already spoken to Bennett about becoming a Bronco again. However, there is a hitch in Brisbane’s plans to reunite Dane and Bennett.

It is expected the money being offered at Newcastle will be superior to the salary offered by Brisbane who already have marquee stars in Anthony Milford, Darius Boyd, Ben Hunt, Corey Parker and Justin Hodges.

Gagai found success at Newcastle under Bennett after he was sacked by Brisbane for a series of indiscretions.
He is set to debut for the Maroons in Origin this year and a deal is unlikely to be done until the Origin period.
Dane was coy about his future, describing the situation as delicate.
“I have obviously thought about things and thought about what I will do but for now I will just keep it to myself,” he said.
Dane said his younger brother needed to be closer to his Mackay home and was already loving being part of the Broncos club.

“He just wanted to be close to family,” Gagai said.
“He’s really enjoying it up there. I am looking forward to seeing him chuck on the Broncos jersey and doing well in the under-20s.
“Wayne (Bennett) did help Jacob get back there but he felt he had to get out of my shadow.
“He wasn’t even in my shadow but he felt he had to make his own path.’’

With Brent Tate retired and Boyd set to miss at least the first two Origin games, Gagai is battling Dale Copley and Will Chambers for one of two Queensland wing spots.
The opening two months of the season will be critical to his hopes.
Gagai returned to the Maroons Emerging Origin camp this year after he was disciplined for skipping part of the camp last year.
“The Queensland position is in my sights but that’s further on this year and I need to take each game at a time,’’ Gagai said.

The Brisbane Broncos have launched a last-minute bid to lure Trent Merrin to the club to play under former coach Wayne Bennett next season.
Fairfax Media revealed on Wednesday that Merrin had closed the door on any chance of remaining at St George Illawarra next season, with Penrith the frontrunners to sign the NSW Origin forward.
While the Panthers remain in the box seat, it is understood the Broncos, who were one of the first clubs to show initial interest in Merrin, have made another play at the 25-year-old.
Advertisement
Merrin spent the week with Bennett in camp on the Gold Coast for the NRL All Stars match and is believed to have held discussions with the Broncos coach about reuniting at his new club.
His manager Wayne Beavis said Merrin "won't be at the Dragons next year", but a decision on his future isn't expected until he returns from the World Club Series next week.
The time difference between Australia and Britain will limit the amount of contact Merrin will have with his manager and the Panthers this week.
However given the Broncos are also in Britain, Bennett and the club will have ample opportunity to try to convince Merrin to move to Queensland next year.
If Merrin, who is going out with surfer Sally Fitzgibbons and who would prefer to continue living by the beach, decided to sign with the Panthers, he would have to travel 90 minutes each way from Shellharbour to the foot of the mountains every day.
If he decided to move north, it would be a much shorter trip from the beaches of the Gold Coast to training in Brisbane.
Merrin recently visited the New Zealand Warriors' facilities, however given they've turned their attention to enticing Jason Taumalolo back across the ditch, it's a strong indication Merrin won't be leaving Australian shores.
The Dragons had expressed interest in Taumalolo, but given the multimillion dollar deals on offer at other clubs, they were never in contention given their salary cap position.
The Cronulla Sharks, who are also interested in Taumalolo, expressed interest in Merrin, but the Panthers appear to be the favourites to land Merrin's signature.
Bennett handed Merrin his debut at the Dragons back in 2009, with him going on to play a small part in the club's premiership triumph the following year.
Beavis said Merrin was still weighing up three options for next year and beyond, with all offers now on the table.
"It means he's in England now, so when he gets back he will look at his options," Beavis said on Wednesday.
"We're probably down to two, or maybe three clubs. All offers are on the table, so we'll know when he gets back what he wants to do."
Merrin is the second Dragons junior to announce he is leaving the club in the past six months after fellow 2010-premiership winner and representative winger Brett Morris was released to join his brother Josh at Canterbury this season.

I don't think it's a much shorter trip from Red Hill to the Gold Coast every day. Especially with peak hour traffic.

Glenn or Thaiday are going to be punted if this is true.

Not upset about it.

Both are edge backrowers and Merrin is a Lock or Front row fwd. We have to best lock in the game seems silly to me.

I agree and for the money he is asking....seems unsual. I think we should use the money else where and get better value (wingers), but then again I would kill to have taumololo. I doubt he will sign..can't see Bennet giving him big money.

I hope we're at least offering Taumalolo something and putting putting all of our eggs in the Merrin basket. I'd prefer Nate Myles, Sebastine Ikahihifo, Korbin Sims, Pauli Pauli, Lewis Brown, Tom Burgess, Dylan Napa or Lagi Setu.

I hope we're at least offering Taumalolo something and putting putting all of our eggs in the Merrin basket. I'd prefer Nate Myles, Sebastine Ikahihifo, Korbin Sims, Pauli Pauli, Lewis Brown, Tom Burgess, Dylan Napa or Lagi Setu.

I hope we're looking at most options on the market. I'd pass on Setu and Napa though.

Getting Taumalolo or Merrin would be fantastic, but I can't see either at their respective (rumoured) price tags. $1 million for a forward? Taumalolololol.

I'd definitely go Napa or Myles gleefully. Do not want Merrin.

Setu sure but Napa is a gun...future origin star.

I really don't get the hype on Napa. He can put a decent hit on but I've not seen him offer much in attack ,despite his size. He does have some developing to do, but I'll be surprised if he ever establishes himself as top tier.

Hopefully we can somehow pick up Charnley or that other Pommie winger, they are just what we need at the moment. Myles would be on my hit list if he is off contract, but Merrin would still be a quality signing if we can't get him, the bloke would have played for Aus if he was fit at the end of last season.

I really don't get the hype on Napa. He can put a decent hit on but I've not seen him offer much in attack ,despite his size. He does have some developing to do, but I'll be surprised if he ever establishes himself as top tier.

Neither do I mate. He is an out and our grub, like most Roosters forwards, but he doesn't make significant impact running the ball. I would only go after JWH or Moa from the Roosters, all the rest are suspect of pulling a Kennedy.

Last edited:
Hopefully we can somehow pick up Charnley or that other Pommie winger, they are just what we need at the moment. Myles would be on my hit list if he is off contract, but Merrin would still be a quality signing if we can't get him, the bloke would have played for Aus if he was fit at the end of last season.

Ryan Hall would be a fantastic get, if he ever wanted to make the jump. He's a bit like Mansour in that he can use power and skill to finish (as opposed to Vidot Smash).

Genuine backline options seem to be our biggest deficiency. If we were to look externally, I'd be looking to exploit Kearney' Kiwi connection. Warriors have talented backs in abundance. Fisiiahi, Hurrell, Laumape, Maumalo, Kata would all be good options /prospects.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Redfern_1980
  • NSW stables
  • Battler
  • Pigskin
  • Manofoneway
  • leish107
  • Emanon
  • azza.79
  • eggstar10
  • Howie
  • Fozz
  • Pablo
  • eazy-duzzit
  • Dash
  • broncsgoat
  • Gaz
  • HarryAllan7
  • Galco
  • MrTickyMcG
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.