Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Jackson Hastings is a bigger ball hog then Hoffman..No thanks.

Also has a few problems in a team environment. He is only young and probably will improve in that area but a disruptive personalty isn't what any team needs.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
No Cookies | The Courier Mail

BRISBANE are continuing their aggressive recruitment drive with the Broncos launching a poaching bid for Cowboys sensation Kalyn Ponga.

Having snared former Kiwi Test skipper Benji Marshall, the Broncos are now making a play for the young gun rated the next Johnathan Thurston.

But the Broncos face major competition to snare Ponga, who has interest from six NRL rivals, including the Titans, and is being chased by the AFL’s Brisbane Lions.

The 18-year-old underlined his rare talent last month when he made a scintillating NRL debut on the wing in the Cowboys’ epic extra-time finals defeat of the Broncos.

North Queensland are aware of AFL’s interest and held talks with Ponga’s manager Wayde Rushton on Monday in a bid to keep Ponga in Townsville beyond next season.

There is speculation Ponga could sensationally quit the NRL to play for the Lions in 2018, but Rushton wants to keep him in rugby league as the Broncos and Titans circle the attacking whiz.

“The Queensland clubs have expressed interest in Kalyn’s availability,” Rushton said.

“There has been a lot of interest, he is a popular player for someone so young.

“He’s contracted for 2017 with the Cowboys and I had a conversation with the club (on Monday).

“There was an offer from the Cowboys earlier this season and for the benefit of Kalyn, the family knocked it back and wanted to go to the open market to test his worth.

“I am flying up to Townsville on Friday to catch up with Kalyn’s family and continue the process of securing him a contract in rugby league.”

Brisbane have been active in the player market in recent months. The Broncos have secured Marshall, prop Mitchell Dodds and Titans winger David Mead for next season and are targeting Gold Coast prop Ryan James for 2018.

The Broncos have a history with Ponga, who held a scholarship with the club in 2013 before the Cowboys sneaked under Brisbane’s guard to lure him to Townsville.

Rico

Rico

QCup Player
Jun 4, 2016

Doubt we'd get him - his old man has prostiuted him around before he played a game.

Any my word on Napa coming or are we seriously in for James? It seems we've signed some decent squad players (I do like dodds coming back though) but need a big forward signing. Is it going to come?

wayne must want to be home for that to announce a big signing ....well I bloody hope so

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
Keep in mind, players like Napa and James are contracted for next year, and from my understanding, neither player has been told he can find another club, meaning they aren't meant to be approached until November 1st. My guess is we will hear things over the first 2 weeks of November.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Keep in mind, players like Napa and James are contracted for next year, and from my understanding, neither player has been told he can find another club, meaning they aren't meant to be approached until November 1st. My guess is we will hear things over the first 2 weeks of November.
This rule doesn't exist anymore

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
It's the 30 of June rule that doesn't exist anymore.

The 1st of November is simply the official new NRL season start date, which is when a player's contract can be registered for the following season (eg a contract for the 2018 season onwards, can be registered on the 1st of November 2016).

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
This is poorly worded, but I think he's implying that Cowboys, Titans & Broncos have made signings which require the "10 day cooling off period".

[tweet]791220451011760128[/tweet]

Broncos - Benji Marshall
Titans - Kevin Proctor
Cowboys - ??

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Cowboys - Jt and Green have decided to open up a chain of childcare centres as sooking is their field of expertise?

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
This is poorly worded, but I think he's implying that Cowboys, Titans & Broncos have made signings which require the "10 day cooling off period".

Broncos - Benji Marshall
Titans - Kevin Proctor
Cowboys - ??

The benji news has been broken !! Not sure the Cowboys could afford to much

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014

Broncos - Benji Marshall
Titans - Kevin Proctor
Cowboys - ??

I think it means he's going on holidays, and therefore expects all the big news to happen while he's away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.