Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Morkel has said, he has been discussed before and the fact he has no knees is a huge negative.

IF he could stay on the field, then yes he would be quite a good foil for Milf. Problem is, can he stay fit all season? I have my doubts.

What I find kinda interesting is ... do the fans have it spot on? Even the in the knows like Joe concede he would tick every box people are looking for ... is that a concession that some of us on here see the same thing as the coaching staff/those close to the squad?

Kodi deserves a chance to showcase his talents. He showed the faith to us so its time we show it back to him. He fully deserves first crack at the 7. From what i can see, he is a real competitor and with a bit of training actually might develop into a very handy 7. And lets be honest here, regarding the structure and ability to lead the side around, I would think that responsibility should be falling onto the shoulders of one of the highest paid people in the team who just happens to be the 5/8 as well. Milford needs to step it up and show he deserves the big bucks. With the big bucks comes the big responsibility of being responsible for teams results.

Kodi deserves a chance to showcase his talents. He showed the faith to us so its time we show it back to him. He fully deserves first crack at the 7. From what i can see, he is a real competitor and with a bit of training actually might develop into a very handy 7. And lets be honest here, regarding the structure and ability to lead the side around, I would think that responsibility should be falling onto the shoulders of one of the highest paid people in the team who just happens to be the 5/8 as well. Milford needs to step it up and show he deserves the big bucks. With the big bucks comes the big responsibility of being responsible for teams results.
Milf will never be the primary playmaker. He is an instinctive run and gun type of player. He will never organise players in advance to attack a side - he'll just pick up the ball and see a gap and go for it.

We have paid him to be an impact player, not a conductor. Asking him to be one will end in tears for all parties. There is no comparison to Lockyer because Lockyer was always a playmaker even at fullback - he simply got better at it when he moved to 5/8th, but it was always there. Milford is more Matt Bowen than Lockyer.

it shouldn’t have to be on milf that’s not what he’s being paid to do he’s paid to win us games with his attack not organise a side, he is not a halfback. Every five-eighth needs a halfback even god himself Lockyer

And I’m sorry but hunt showed faith by staying for as many years as he did until he had his chance nikorima has nothing on him

Yeah Nikorima will probably be our halfback in 2018 but I’m calling it now he will not make a career out of it

He said that about Copley in 2016 preseason
Yeah and we got Roberts, so like I said unless someone worth it pops up which is very unlikely. Nikorima will be at halfback next season.

Milf will never be the primary playmaker. He is an instinctive run and gun type of player. He will never organise players in advance to attack a side - he'll just pick up the ball and see a gap and go for it.

We have paid him to be an impact player, not a conductor. Asking him to be one will end in tears for all parties. There is no comparison to Lockyer because Lockyer was always a playmaker even at fullback - he simply got better at it when he moved to 5/8th, but it was always there. Milford is more Matt Bowen than Lockyer.
I'd have to disagree, Milford on a few occasions has directed the boys quite well. Especially when he was the primary playmaker when Hunt went down. Milford is a special player through hard work the kid can become anything.

It was interesting that Melbourne were keeping an eye on the Pearce situation if that ever happened we could get our hands on jacks or Croft

Milf needs a dominant halfback. A Thurston or a Cronk or a Pearce.

He sure as shit doesn’t need to be the dominant half (with a Perry or a Wallace).

Isn't the problem with Milford having a dominant halfback is that he disappears when things get hard?

I'd have to disagree, Milford on a few occasions has directed the boys quite well. Especially when he was the primary playmaker when Hunt went down. Milford is a special player through hard work the kid can become anything.
He may become a primary playmaker later in his career when he loses his speed and agility ala Benji, but that is yet to be seen.

Milford may be a special player but he's no Lockyer, possibly the best player Brisbane has ever had.

Happy to agree to disagree here, there's no real definitive way to prove either way, just my feeling watching him play/type of player he seems to be, imo.

He may become a primary playmaker later in his career when he loses his speed and agility ala Benji, but that is yet to be seen.

Milford may be a special player but he's no Lockyer, possibly the best player Brisbane has ever had.

Happy to agree to disagree here, there's no real definitive way to prove either way, just my feeling watching him play/type of player he seems to be, imo.
Yeah I agree, but he'll grow into the role. They are still both very young

I'm sorry, but it's total bullshit to say that there should be no onus on milford to perform the crucial duties that a half should have during a game. Just because he has a good running game doesn't mean he gets to be paid a million a season just to run the ball. He needs to be our main half, because we're paying him to be and we need him to be.

A half getting paid 1 million a season should be able to control a game like Thurston or Cronk.

I'm sorry, but it's total bullshit to say that there should be no onus on milford to perform the crucial duties that a half should have during a game. Just because he has a good running game doesn't mean he gets to be paid a million a season just to run the ball. He needs to be our main half, because we're paying him to be and we need him to be.

A half getting paid 1 million a season should be able to control a game like Thurston or Cronk.
Amen

Would anyone give Jeremy Hawkins a shot? I rate him higher than most of our depth backs

Attachments

• IMG_3494.PNG
    IMG_3494.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 108

Exactly
We made him our highest paid half for a reason. You dont make someone the highest paid person at a company if they can only do half their job even if they are one of the best at doing that certain half.
Thankfully even Milford has admitted he needs to shoulder the main responsiblity of the teams play.

I don't think anyone has said there should be no onus, I think it is unanimous amongst pretty much everyone on here that Milford needs to be involved more.

Having said that, if you want to get the most out of him, you play to his strengths. His strengths aren't playmaking, his strengths are his running game and his flair, his xfactor if you will - that's why he was paid big bucks, not because he can do everything, but because he can do some things possibly better than anyone in the league in the same position. Or at least that's how management think.

He will be our main attacking threat, but not our main half - there is a distinct difference.

I think there's a few too many things being assumed as to what the dominant half should be doing. To me the dominant half is the guy calling the shots in attack and who takes it on themselves to own the result. Who kicks and who gets the team around is not solely the responsibility of a dominant half it's dependent on the player. JT, Cronk, Pearce, etc. Take it on because they want the ball in hand.

Compare DCE and Shaun Johnson. Both guys would be considered the dominant half in their teams however both play differently. With Green at manly DCE reduced his touches per game and sat back to watch the defence, when he saw something he liked he over called and more often than not executed... I'd say their attacking efficiency would've been quite high last season. Taking a backseat allowed him to play both sides of the ruck and basically own the attack whilst others got the team around the park. Pearce doesn't seem a great fit for him as Pearce always wants the ball (Keary basically played as an old school 5/8) so he would be calling all the shots and either DCE would take a backseat (severely affecting their offense) or there would be huge confusion by having both halves calling continuously and trying to overcall each other.

Compare that to Johnson who does all the kicking but regularly sits on his right edge. He can go sets upon sets inside the 20 without touching it until a kick is needed. He clearly goes missing and the team suffers by having him as their dominant half. If he had a Pearce it might work better as SJ could pick his spots to attack. Having green is a huge positive for him.

Milf is our dominant half now and he has shown he can play it like DCE ie 2015 GF, 1st half of 2016 and with kodi. With kodi in 2016 he was playing both sides of the ball and getting a lot of touches compared to playing outside Benji or Hunt. Putting someone like Pearce next to him would be like having $1m paper weight on the left edge as he wouldn't be over calling him and Pearce wouldn't be taking a backseat. That leaves milf waiting for the ball to come his way rather than him looking for the ball.

Obviously the issue with having kodi as his halves partner is long kicking and game management. Milf is very poor execution wise on his long kicking but his vision is pretty good ie knowing when to kick early and chase. I do believe that Kodi has a pretty sweet kick on him though and if he spends the off season on it could become the long kicker of the team.

Game management is more so about game situation ie kick early, forced dropouts, when to play field position and when to attack. I believe milf has this a little bit but may be getting over coached in this area. Kodi probably doesn't resolve it either.

It is the area milf needs to develop but it can also be undertaken by sitting back and letting kodi run the show. Basically kodi and macca should run the team when it's in cruise control ie what Hunt was doing. Milf takes ownership in the attacking zones OR if he sees the situation and wants to capitalise on it.

Milf has already shown he can do this aspect when he plays with kodi and we should not be trying to bring another player in to take it over as it would be detrimental to the team. Hodkinson would fit perfectly with milf because he just likes to play in cruise control and wouldn't care if Milf over called him... Pearce would be horrible because he always wants the ball and to me his kicking game is pretty poor anyway.

Long post but in summary milf is already our dominant half (even though he doesn't do all the kicking) and it should remain that way. We should not be wanting another dominant half playing next to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Mustafur
  • Johnny92
  • barker
  • Foordy
  • cento
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.