Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of the props we've been linked to impress me...

Dylan Napa - It's difficult to get excited after his 2016 season. Still has a lot of growing up to do and being able to lay on the odd big shot doesn't do a lot for me.

Ryan James - Good player, but doesn't strike me as an elite talent. The fact he's scored a lot of tries doesn't impress me all that much, defensively he's always been lazy and I don't see him as a forward leader.

Korbin Sims - Ashton Sims mk 3. Never again...

Maybe I'm not seeing the bigger picture...

None of the props we've been linked to impress me...

Dylan Napa - It's difficult to get excited after his 2016 season. Still has a lot of growing up to do and being able to lay on the odd big shot doesn't do a lot for me.

Ryan James - Good player, but doesn't strike me as an elite talent. The fact he's scored a lot of tries doesn't impress me all that much, defensively he's always been lazy and I don't see him as a forward leader.

Korbin Sims - Ashton Sims mk 3. Never again...

Maybe I'm not seeing the bigger picture...

Who do you think we should chase then big Pete ? We are obviously in the market for an experienced prop, with plenty of years left in him to lead our young brigade.

This is my train of thought...

The Bronco top priority above all else should be trying to keep the band together.

Look at the list of players we have coming off-contract...

Jai Arrow
Adam Blair
Darius Boyd
Alex Glenn
Ben Hunt
Jordan Kahu
Andrew McCullough
Josh McGuire
Anthony Milford
Corey Oates
Joe Ofahengaue
James Roberts

I'd sign those guys up before we get into a bidding war for some hit-up merchant.

With the front row, maybe I'm alone on this but I have a high opinion of the players we've got coming through...

Joe Ofahengaue
Herman Ese'ese
George Fai
Keegan Hipgrave
Patrick Carrigan
Jai Whitbread
Francis Molo
David Fifita

The list goes on...there's quality in those ranks and with Su'A, Pangai Jr and Arrow the future is looking incredibly bright. So much so we couldn't even accomodate Lindsay Collins who is going to turn heads down in Sydney.

...and if Matt Lodge turns his life around, Brisbane will have the best forwards coming through.

But hey you want names, so I'll give them to you.

Here's a list of props I'd enquire about...

Aaron Woods
Ben Matulino
Nelson Asofa-Solomona
Toafofoa Sipley
Jacob Lillyman
Matt Prior
Scott Bolton
Albert Vete
Alex Twal
Viliame Kikau
Kane Evans

I'd test the waters...you never know Woods may want to get out of that basket case and have a premiership next to his name. Matulino is the other marquee prop I'd be interested in, especially since his career has gone backwards at the Warriors, you never know a change in scenary maybe what he needs.

The rest of the props are merely prospects or experienced bit players who could fit into the rotation and play tomorrow.

I'm not against the Napa signing either. It's just that desperation about signing him I'm against. If he wants to come up here, then cool, he'll be a handy spoke on the wheel. If not, it's no big deal...he isn't in that upper bracket yet and I don't even think he's the best middle forward at the Roosters.

As for Korbin, he's so inconsistent that I almost feel like he ought to pay the top clubs in order to play. I feel like the Broncos got burned big time the first go around with the Sims family and I'm not keen on welcoming any of them back.

EDIT: And if we wanted to make big changes to the pack, the one player I'd be targeting above all else is Jason Taumalolo.

Last edited:

The Bronco top priority above all else should be trying to keep the band together.

Jai Arrow
Adam Blair
Darius Boyd
Alex Glenn
Ben Hunt
Jordan Kahu
Andrew McCullough
Josh McGuire
Anthony Milford
Corey Oates
Joe Ofahengaue
James Roberts

I'd sign those guys up before we get into a bidding war for some hit-up merchant.

With the front row, maybe I'm alone on this but I have a high opinion of the players we've got coming through...

Joe Ofahengaue
Herman Ese'ese
George Fai
Keegan Hipgrave
Patrick Carrigan
Jai Whitbread
Francis Molo
David Fifita

The list goes on...there's quality in those ranks and with Su'A, Pangai Jr and Arrow the future is looking incredibly bright. So much so we couldn't even accomodate Lindsay Collins who is going to turn heads down in Sydney.

...and if Matt Lodge turns his life around, Brisbane will have the best forwards coming through.

Aaron Woods
Ben Matulino
Nelson Asofa-Solomona
Toafofoa Sipley
Jacob Lillyman
Matt Prior
Scott Bolton
Albert Vete
Alex Twal
Viliame Kikau
Kane Evans

I'd test the waters...you never know Woods may want to get out of that basket case and have a premiership next to his name. Matulino is the other marquee prop I'd be interested in, especially since his career has gone backwards at the Warriors, you never know a change in scenary maybe what he needs.

The rest of the props are merely prospects or experienced bit players who could fit into the rotation and play tomorrow.

I'm not against the Napa signing either. It's just that desperation about signing him I'm against. If he wants to come up here, then cool, he'll be a handy spoke on the wheel. If not, it's no big deal...he isn't in that upper bracket yet and I don't even think he's the best middle forward at the Roosters.

As for Korbin, he's so inconsistent that I almost feel like he ought to pay the top clubs in order to play. I feel like the Broncos got burned big time the first go around with the Sims family and I'm not keen on welcoming any of them back.
I agree. The point is that there is only a few props in the comp that really stand out and the rest really are pretty even. If we can't get one of the very best then why bother bringing in someone mediocre?

That list of young talent is exciting and I think Joe and Herman are ready to at least do as good a job as most props. They need experience so let's give it to them and show the rest of the young guys that there really is a path to first grade if you work hard enough.

Korbin would be a great asset to the club, he has experience at starting prop and has been in line for origin call up. Matt lodge would be a good big body to have as well. But I don't think we should be relying on recruiting, we should be working on our development.

A certain someone saying on the BHQ Facebook page that Taumalolo is looking to join Broncos in 2018...

Korbin Sims rumour is interesting.

Jai Arrow
Adam Blair
Darius Boyd
Alex Glenn
Ben Hunt
Jordan Kahu
Andrew McCullough
Josh McGuire
Anthony Milford
Corey Oates
Joe Ofahengaue
James Roberts

Joe Ofahengaue
Herman Ese'ese
George Fai
Keegan Hipgrave
Patrick Carrigan
Jai Whitbread
Francis Molo
David Fifita

Aaron Woods
Ben Matulino
Nelson Asofa-Solomona
Toafofoa Sipley
Jacob Lillyman
Matt Prior
Scott Bolton
Albert Vete
Alex Twal
Viliame Kikau
Kane Evans

EDIT: And if we wanted to make big changes to the pack, the one player I'd be targeting above all else is Jason Taumalolo.

Well said mate . Would love to have our young guys kick on and dominant. Who would your pick be for the enforcer type prop , someone who can pull off the big hits

Is there any chance Brisbane will look to palm off Blair next year? Particularly if we are under salary cap pressure to resign some of our big guns and if some of the young forwards really make a big impact combined with the fact Blair is 31 this year it might be a good money saving measure.

He was brought in for three years to bring some experience into our pack and help bring some of our young guys along which he's done and now maybe it's time to move him along. All of his obviously depends on how well the young guys stand up! Not to sure what his contract is worth but surely it could help us either sign a younger gun or hold some of our current crop.

Is there any chance Brisbane will look to palm off Blair next year? Particularly if we are under salary cap pressure to resign some of our big guns and if some of the young forwards really make a big impact combined with the fact Blair is 31 this year it
might be a good money saving measure.

He was brought in for three years to bring some experience into our pack and help bring some of our young guys along which he's done and now maybe it's time to move him along. All of his obviously depends on how well the young guys stand up! Not to sure what his contract is worth but surely it could help us either sign a younger gun or hold some of our current crop.

Well i remember when a article came out about us chasing ryan james, it mentioned the reason was to replace blair . So its quite possible

Jai Arrow
Adam Blair
Darius Boyd
Alex Glenn
Ben Hunt
Jordan Kahu
Andrew McCullough
Josh McGuire
Anthony Milford
Corey Oates
Joe Ofahengaue
James Roberts

Joe Ofahengaue
Herman Ese'ese
George Fai
Keegan Hipgrave
Patrick Carrigan
Jai Whitbread
Francis Molo
David Fifita

Aaron Woods
Ben Matulino
Nelson Asofa-Solomona
Toafofoa Sipley
Jacob Lillyman
Matt Prior
Scott Bolton
Albert Vete
Alex Twal
Viliame Kikau
Kane Evans

Not really that worried about re-signing current forwards. Present pack struggles to get us out of our end and struggles to hold a team in their half.

That's just a fact.

Apart from TPJ and Herman, I don't have too much faith in what is coming through. Someone might be a gun at u 20 but they'll get towelled in firsts. Do we wait for 6 years on the chance that someone develops?

I think we need to decide who we can get rid of in order to sign a Bromwich etc

Let's Raid The Raiders...again, lol.

I would give taumalolo a million to come to broncos.

Present pack struggles to get us out of our end and struggles to hold a team in their half.

If they're struggling to get out of their own end, that's usually on the backs and not on the forwards. Tackles one and two determine how the rest of the set is going to go these days, too often players like Kahu, Eden, Maranta and Roberts were easy pray for the opposition. Hopefully Kahu & Roberts have addressed this issue in their games...

All in all, the Broncos ranked 9th for average metres gained last season. Not flash, but a large chunk of that would have occurred around the turbulent Origin period where so many of the up and coming players were asked to step in. A year later, I expect better production from Ofahengaue, Ese'ese, Arrow, Pangai Jr and Su'A. FYI, the year prior they ranked forth and that was with one of the best metre gainers out for half the season and not a whole lot has changed since now and then.

Bromwich doesn't come off contract until 2019 and the only players who are on his level are Jason Taumalolo, Aaron Woods and Mat Scott. The likes of Ben Matulino and Tohu Harris could potentially work out, otherwise it's just a case of future-proofing or adding experience to the rotation.

Before we go throwing millions away at imports, let's look after our own backyard. It wouldn't be great business if we signed a Taumalolo only to lose a Milford.

If they're struggling to get out of their own end, that's usually on the backs and not on the forwards. Tackles one and two determine how the rest of the set is going to go these days, too often players like Kahu, Eden, Maranta and Roberts were easy pray for the opposition. Hopefully Kahu & Roberts have addressed this issue in their games...

All in all, the Broncos ranked 9th for average metres gained last season. Not flash, but a large chunk of that would have occurred around the turbulent Origin period where so many of the up and coming players were asked to step in. A year later, I expect better production from Ofahengaue, Ese'ese, Arrow, Pangai Jr and Su'A. FYI, the year prior they ranked forth and that was with one of the best metre gainers out for half the season and not a whole lot has changed since now and then.

Bromwich doesn't come off contract until 2019 and the only players who are on his level are Jason Taumalolo, Aaron Woods and Mat Scott. The likes of Ben Matulino and Tohu Harris could potentially work out, otherwise it's just a case of future-proofing or adding experience to the rotation.

Before we go throwing millions away at imports, let's look after our own backyard. It wouldn't be great business if we signed a Taumalolo only to lose a Milford.

Milford won't stay if he's kicking off his 30 every set (you won't win too many games doing that).

We need to address serious deficiencies in the team.

Our pack gets stood over too frequently.

Too many backrowers and not enough genuine props.

Milford won't stay if he's kicking off his 30 every set (you won't win too many games doing that).

We need to address serious deficiencies in the team.

Our pack gets stood over too frequently.

Too many backrowers and not enough genuine props.
Yeah you gotta remember that really Blair made a name for himself in second row. Last year we had Thaiday, Blair, Parker and Glenn all spend some time in the middle of the field and they are all second rowers. Even McGuire I see as more of a lock than a front rower simply due to his height. He makes good metres for us, but that's only because he does so many hitups. His average per hitup is pretty average amongst other props.

Thankfully he's playing behind a Broncos pack and not the Newcastle Knights.

It's a ridiculous point and you know it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • BroncoFan94
  • bert_lifts
  • Battler
  • I bleed Maroon
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • broncoscope
  • NSW stables
  • Financeguy
  • Skathen
  • Santa
  • BroncosAlways
  • Hurrijo
  • Rookie Alan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.