Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
The Broncos are still in the hunt to sign Queensland Reds and Wallabies star Izaia Perese for next season.
A speedy 21-year-old outside back, Perese shapes as the man to replace Corey Oates, who seems destined to leave the club.
Perese is contracted to the Australian Rugby Union for next season and they have tried to shut down talk of a code switch recently.
But Perese - who played his schoolboy footy alongside Knights sensation Kalyn Ponga at Brisbane’s Anglican Church Grammar School - wants to move to the Broncos… and the ARU could have an unhappy player on their hands next season.
They may demand a fee from the Broncos to break the contract - but I’m hearing the rich Broncos will happily pay to get their hands on the youngster.

The Lurker...

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

Looks strong and fast. I do wonder how he'd go running at players who know how to tackle properly though

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
Just roughing out some budgets here:

1 Issako -300K
2 Stagg - 250K
3 Boyd - 700K
4 Roberts - 600K
5 Kahu -200K
6 Milf - 1mil
7 Niko/Tanah Boyd/Paix - 250K
8 Lodge - 250k?
9 McCullogh - 300K?
10 Pangai - 650k?
11 Gillett - 500K?
12 Sua - 400K?
13 Moose - 400k?

Bench:
14 Offa - 300K?
15 Haas - 600K
16 Fifita - 300K
17 Glenn (Utility role) -300k?

Bird - 700k?

That's 8 Million right there - some numbers conservative and probably high lows. There is no room for Oates on raw numbers. 1.2Million left to pay for 11 players averages bang on the minimum wages threshold. Unless they put 25 players on the book and sign 5 more into the 30 squad before June 30 at pro rata for year giving XX% discount on those remaining players?

If we knock 15% off for TPA takes up back down to 6.8Million - which is possible to fit Oates and rest of the 30 man squad.

Do we get any offsets on marquee players in our squad also?
The 4 last players in our top 30 are only required to be on 72.5k next year. The rest of the squad has a minimum of 105k. You've named 18, so the remaining 12 would cost a minimum of 1.13 million, however there aren't many players in that group would be on more than the minimum. Maybe slightly above for Opacic, Mago and Pearson but not by much collectively.

Staggs will probably be on 105k next year as he is still contracted so we'll only bump him up to the minimum wage so we can play him without permission. Haas' contract will be backloaded to take advantage of future retirements so he'll be on less for next year. Fifita's contract was signed well before he debuted so probably less than 300k next year for him. Ofahengaue is probably on less until he signs his next contract. McGuire and Kahu are on more, Gillett and McCullough are probably on slightly more. Lodge also might be on a bit more, though I'm just guessing on that point, but he could certainly attract more than 250k elsewhere.

The cap is rising 600k over the next 4 years, so if we take that as a linear increase then we have a 2019 cap of 9.25M base plus 200k veteran players allowance and 100k car allowance for a total of 9.55M. If your total assumptions about those 18 players' contracts are accurate, with overestimations and underestimations canceling each other out, then we could probably offer Oates a contract of 500k. I don't know how close to the sun we want to fly though when it comes to the salary cap ceiling as I have no clue how much costs can blow out during the season.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Yeah sorry. Don't know how to edit the name??

If you want to change it just PM me mate, or tell me here and I'll message you.

At the moment, you are by far the better looking B4L though.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
That’s not what you said last night.

Upload 2018 7 25 16 21 59

Things change bro :afro:

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
The Lurker...

This kid looks like he has some genuine speed, we are talking Roberts or the fox kinder speed. He would be a great asset to the team and good replacement for Oates if he moves to another club or shifts to the forwards.

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
NRL 360 tonight: James Hooper reckons that Brisbane have signed Sean O'Sullivan - he said maybe not as a halfback tho (which seems odd?)
Oates to Cowboys, Glenn to the Titans.

Would be very interesting if all this comes to front..

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
The Lurker...
It looks suspect... I doubt broncos would be willing to pay a transfer fee as it would count against the salary cap, which is apparently under stress as it is.

I'd say Lurker is just looking that Oates is a chance to leave and there was an article a week or so ago talking about broncos interest in this guy.

He's basically just regurgitating something he was probably tagged in on twitter and claiming it as his own.

Last edited:
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
This kid looks like he has some genuine speed, we are talking Roberts or the fox kinder speed. He would be a great asset to the team and good replacement for Oates if he moves to another club

fixed it for you

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
The 4 last players in our top 30 are only required to be on 72.5k next year. The rest of the squad has a minimum of 105k. You've named 18, so the remaining 12 would cost a minimum of 1.13 million, however there aren't many players in that group would be on more than the minimum. Maybe slightly above for Opacic, Mago and Pearson but not by much collectively.

Staggs will probably be on 105k next year as he is still contracted so we'll only bump him up to the minimum wage so we can play him without permission. Haas' contract will be backloaded to take advantage of future retirements so he'll be on less for next year. Fifita's contract was signed well before he debuted so probably less than 300k next year for him. Ofahengaue is probably on less until he signs his next contract. McGuire and Kahu are on more, Gillett and McCullough are probably on slightly more. Lodge also might be on a bit more, though I'm just guessing on that point, but he could certainly attract more than 250k elsewhere.

The cap is rising 600k over the next 4 years, so if we take that as a linear increase then we have a 2019 cap of 9.25M base plus 200k veteran players allowance and 100k car allowance for a total of 9.55M. If your total assumptions about those 18 players' contracts are accurate, with overestimations and underestimations canceling each other out, then we could probably offer Oates a contract of 500k. I don't know how close to the sun we want to fly though when it comes to the salary cap ceiling as I have no clue how much costs can blow out during the season.

Staggs will be on a lot more than 105k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• bazza
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  • Canga
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.