Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year we missed Blair in defence. Take out Glenn as well and I think you'll notice a big hole in defensive reliability.

Su'a and Gillett can handle themselves. Give our middle guys another pre season to get everything up to scratch and we should be sweet there.

Hahaha makes me laugh when people talk about Glenn as if he's Petero Civonaceva or something.

Glenn has effectively accomplished nothing in his career.

He's played NRL every week, which is a minimum requirement.

And he got lucky a couple of times to get chosen for the Kiwis.

Glenn has never left the Broncos so I actually think he has less useful experience than if we just brought in someone else.

He's been sheltered here at the Broncos.

What a load of bollocks. Has been a very good player for us. One of our most reliable.

Hahaha makes me laugh when people talk about Glenn as if he's Petero Civonaceva or something.

it makes me laugh when i see people who think that in the days of the salary cap, you can have a pack full of Civoniceva's

it makes me laugh when i see people who think that in the days of the salary cap, you can have a pack full of Civoniceva's

We only have one future Petero and that's all we need. Just gotta hope we hold on to Joey O. If we keep Glenn, that's 400k less available to us when we need to upgrade Ofahengaue.

We only have one future Petero and that's all we need. Just gotta hope we hold on to Joey O. If we keep Glenn, that's 400k less available to us when we need to upgrade Ofahengaue.

and you still have to replace him in the squad ... we can't just give all of Glenn's money to Ofahengue ...

you need a balanced squad ... if you have 17 highly paid players and 13 players on minimum wage (either rookies or has-beens) then the only place you will find yourself is on holidays in September

and you still have to replace him in the squad ... we can't just give all of Glenn's money to Ofahengue ...

you need a balanced squad ... if you have 17 highly paid players and 13 players on minimum wage (either rookies or has-beens) then the only place you will find yourself is on holidays in September

There are plenty of players in the Queensland Cup that will sign on to play for the Broncos at minimum wage.

Here's one I would sign straight away

https://m.qt.com.au/news/from-one-great-prop-to-another-neale-wins-civonice/3508588/

There are plenty of players in the Queensland Cup that will sign on to play for the Broncos at minimum wage.

Here's one I would sign straight away

https://m.qt.com.au/news/from-one-great-prop-to-another-neale-wins-civonice/3508588/

there are plenty of players that will sign on to any club for minimum wage ... but that isn't the point

if your depth isn't up to the task, then 1 long term injury and you can kiss goodbye to your season.

just because a player plays ISC doesn't mean he will be a success at the much tougher NRL ... hell, just because he plays well in ISC doesn't mean he will be a success at the much tougher NRL ...

having a big portion of your squad on minimum wage is a recipe for disaster, especially given that if this portion of your squad is any good, they won't hang around on minimum wage for long, which the presents another issue of having a high squad turn over

there are plenty of players that will sign on to any club for minimum wage ... but that isn't the point

if your depth isn't up to the task, then 1 long term injury and you can kiss goodbye to your season.

just because a player plays ISC doesn't mean he will be a success at the much tougher NRL ... hell, just because he plays well in ISC doesn't mean he will be a success at the much tougher NRL ...

having a big portion of your squad on minimum wage is a recipe for disaster, especially given that if this portion of your squad is any good, they won't hang around on minimum wage for long, which the presents another issue of having a high squad turn over

So it all comes down to whoever is doing the recruitment. They need to be able to spot the talent.

Storm are the best at this.

So it all comes down to whoever is doing the recruitment. They need to be able to spot the talent.

Storm are the best at this.
If only we had someone like Paul Bunn at our club ...

Last edited:

Glenn has effectively accomplished nothing in his career.

He's played NRL every week, which is a minimum requirement.

And he got lucky a couple of times to get chosen for the Kiwis.

Glenn has never left the Broncos so I actually think he has less useful experience than if we just brought in someone else.

He's been sheltered here at the Broncos.

What rubbish.

Gillett > Glenn
TPJ > Glenn
Su'A = Glenn
Fifita in 12 months > Glenn

Don't need him tbh. Experience is overrated, I'd rather use the roster spot & funds on retaining an extra young talent or bringing in some outside back depth or halves depth.

Good to know all the coaches, commentators and players don't know what they are talking when they talk about experience.

Good to know all the coaches, commentators and players don't know what they are talking when they talk about experience.

In the past we've bought players on minimum wage such as Benji Marshall, Sam Tagataese and Adam Blair for that experience. We don't really need Glenn on 400k for it.

It's not so much a thing against Glenn. It's just the fact that we are tight squeezed for cap space and are at a stage where retaining young talent is critical. In my eyes Glenn has served us well and has done his duty here.

I would not be opposed to holding onto Glenn for another year or two as a bench utility or just for general depth in the squad.

Just would need to downgrade his pay, which at this stage of his career I hardly see him consenting to. He'd want his biggest contract to date.

Last edited:
In the past we've bought players on minimum wage such as Benji Marshall, Sam Tagataese and Adam Blair for that experience. We don't really need Glenn on 400k for it.

It's not so much a thing against Glenn. It's just the fact that we are tight squeezed for cap space and are at a stage where retaining young talent is critical. In my eyes Glenn has served us well and has done his duty here.

I would not be opposed to holding onto Glenn for another year or two as a bench utility or just for general depth in the squad.

Just would need to downgrade his pay, which at this stage of his career I hardly see him consenting to. He'd want his biggest contract to date.

So who is available on minimum wage currently we could sign if ( and its a big if ) we could get Glenn to walk out on his current contract. You might get a few young up and coming young players from ISC coming here to try and prove themselves, but thats about it. I think you are living in cloud cuckoo land. Like i said before, i dont see us risking 2 unproven rookies, a Matt Gillett who we have no clue how he will hold up, and an injury prone TPJ, who is better in the front row anyway and might not even be here. We would be crazy to let Glenn go. HE only has a year left on his contract anyway, so i dont really see the rush to push one of our most consistent performers out of the door.

Blair also wasnt on minimum wage with us either. We got him subsidised for a year, then we paid him a decent contract afterwards.

So who is available on minimum wage currently we could sign if ( and its a big if ) we could get Glenn to walk out on his current contract. You might get a few young up and coming young players from ISC coming here to try and prove themselves, but thats about it. I think you are living in cloud cuckoo land. Like i said before, i dont see us risking 2 unproven rookies, a Matt Gillett who we have no clue how he will hold up, and an injury prone TPJ, who is better in the front row anyway and might not even be here. We would be crazy to let Glenn go. HE only has a year left on his contract anyway, so i dont really see the rush to push one of our most consistent performers out of the door.

Blair also wasnt on minimum wage with us either. We got him subsidised for a year, then we paid him a decent contract afterwards.

That kind of mentality is why players like Cody Walker and Rhyse Martin go unnoticed for so long.

Clubs just end up recruiting "names" and reputations rather than genuine footballing ability. Which causes them to spend overs.

That kind of mentality is why players like Cody Walker and Rhyse Martin go unnoticed for so long.

Clubs just end up recruiting "names" and reputations rather than genuine footballing ability. Which causes them to spend overs.

What mentality?

Cody Walker didnt produce the goods at any NRL club until he did it at the Rabbits. Same with Rhyse Martin when he was at the Roosters, he wasnt good enough to crack their side. Its took them a little longer than usual, but name me any ISC players going around now who are 25/26 and are a good chance of getting an NRL gig to start their NRL careers at that age. Nat Neale may have been a good shout if he wasnt 30 years old. Its the exception rather than the rule for a good reason. They go unnoticed for so long because it takes them longer to find their feet, not because of a " mentality " ISC is littered with players who killed it at that level ( Shannon Walker is a great example ) who just never stepped up.

Why can't you name one of these players with NRL experience we can pick up for next year who will come on minimum wage. You throw out these things, then you dont give any solutions.

What mentality?

Cody Walker didnt produce the goods at any NRL club until he did it at the Rabbits. Same with Rhyse Martin when he was at the Roosters, he wasnt good enough to crack their side. Its took them a little longer than usual, but name me any ISC players going around now who are 25/26 and are a good chance of getting an NRL gig to start their NRL careers at that age. Nat Neale may have been a good shout if he wasnt 30 years old. Its the exception rather than the rule for a good reason. They go unnoticed for so long because it takes them longer to find their feet, not because of a " mentality " ISC is littered with players who killed it at that level ( Shannon Walker is a great example ) who just never stepped up.

Why can't you name one of these players with NRL experience we can pick up for next year who will come on minimum wage. You throw out these things, then you dont give any solutions.

One example off the the top of my head

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/20182/06/21/leary-the-gypsy-not-done-on-nrl-dream/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Rambstien
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • mrslong
  • Astro
  • sooticus
  • Alec
  • marw
  • Robboi_321
  • Jazza
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Morkel
  • Midean
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Johnny92
  • scobie
  • Broncorob
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Aldo
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.