Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I would like to know is if we had to move on nikorima, McGuire, Kahu etc to remain salary cap compliant why did lanigan tick off on their deals in the first place?

She would have to be involved in contract values, its her job to make sure we are compliant and dont go over.
It seems almost pointless trying to inform the posters with an anti WB agenda. There are none so blind as those who will not see. It's apparent you understand clearly as do I. We both have previously acknowledged that WB had an imput and thus has some blame to share as well as credit due but the antiWB's, **** me they only want to mention blame. Blame Blame Blame, GOT style. That's what an agenda does to a person.

No it wouldn't. If Siebold took us to the gf this year the talk would be mostly how Seibold got more out of the squad than Wayne could.
[automerge]1563747339[/automerge]

Not for the people that didn't want Wayne gone. The storyline would be how Seibs just rode on the great work Bennett had done.

What I would like to know is if we had to move on nikorima, McGuire, Kahu etc to remain salary cap compliant why did lanigan tick off on their deals in the first place?
My guess is that if Bennett had stayed coach of the broncos those players would still be around we may have had to miss out on re signing players that were off contract instead.just a guess though.

Last edited:
Not for the people that didn't want Wayne gone. The storyline would be how Seibs just rode on the great work Bennett had done.
I'd say, at a casual Monday morning glance, most of this back and forth about Bennett wouldn't be happening if we were doing well. There's a few here who hate Bennett with an absolute passion but for most it seems to be a coping mechanism - sure we're doing shit now but as long as the malaise can be chalked up to ol' Skinny that means blue skies are just around the corner.

I'd say, at a casual Monday morning glance, most of this back and forth about Bennett wouldn't be happening if we were doing well. There's a few here who hate Bennett with an absolute passion but for most it seems to be a coping mechanism - sure we're doing shit now but as long as the malaise can be chalked up to ol' Skinny that means blue skies are just around the corner.

What you have just described it is the exact same for other side. It is like every discussion on here or the internet in general, there is a wall and no-one can see over the other side.

As usual, it is never as extreme on either side as people will have you believe. I don't really have an agenda here. I love Bennett for what he has done for the club and he is still my favourite coach. I hate the prtty shit he is doing to get back at the Broncos but I understand why he is. At the same time IMO the change needed to happen and I support the direction the club went in and believe Seibs is a good coach.

For sure not everything that has happened with our cap is Bennett's fault, but he also isn't faultless. This is the last I will say on this matter because it just goes round and round in circles.

What is this woman's credentials and history in the game and her level of expertise? If she has none than I struggle to see her having too much input into signings and or re-signings. If she is wielding this type of power then fire her ass and get an actual good judge of talent and someone with a background in the game into her role. I just can't see a club like the broncos letting someone with no idea have such a major say in who we recruit, I picture her as some type of accountant.

It seems almost pointless trying to inform the posters with an anti WB agenda. There are none so blind as those who will not see. It's apparent you understand clearly as do I. We both have previously acknowledged that WB had an imput and thus has some blame to share as well as credit due but the antiWB's, **** me they only want to mention blame. Blame Blame Blame, GOT style. That's what an agenda does to a person.

I dont have an issue with agendas tbh. A few weeks ago, i wasnt totally on board with Seibs, My igenda was i thought he was a dud. Now i'm softening my stance a little and i'm willing to hold off more on him and see how we go next year. All i think is even if you have an agenda against someone or something, at least be fair and accurate about it.
[automerge]1563752727[/automerge]
Yeah but not to that extent, she is managing the budget, not deciding how much individual players will get in negotiations.

It would be something like "Ok, but if you are spending this much on Boyd, Gillett and Macca you will only have X amount left for the rest of the squad"

When you read the article, it doesnt seem to be happening like that. I've got no doubts in the 1990's and possibly into the early 2000's , Wayne would have had a lot more input and control of salary and contracts. I just cant see that being the case these days. From the blokes i know there, he just tells them i'd like to keep X player and for how long and then he generally leaves them to it. I have heard of him getting some good " perks " for guys who have stayed for lower wages, but in regards to the cap i just dont think he has the influence these days he used to.

Last edited:
What is this woman's credentials and history in the game and her level of expertise? If she has none than I struggle to see her having too much input into signings and or re-signings. If she is wielding this type of power then fire her ass and get an actual good judge of talent and someone with a background in the game into her role. I just can't see a club like the broncos letting someone with no idea have such a major say in who we recruit, I picture her as some type of accountant.
Did you read the article?

She doesn't wield that type of power. She Is the accountant.

Did you read the article?
Admittedly no, I tend to avoid RL fluff pieces but I did read it just now. Well at least she has some background into the game. The part that did catch my eye was this bit though.

"Yes we have [said no], and he might say, 'Work out a way to do it'

Because it's just an excuse mate.

What you have just described it is the exact same for other side. It is like every discussion on here or the internet in general, there is a wall and no-one can see over the other side.

As usual, it is never as extreme on either side as people will have you believe. I don't really have an agenda here. I love Bennett for what he has done for the club and he is still my favourite coach. I hate the prtty shit he is doing to get back at the Broncos but I understand why he is. At the same time IMO the change needed to happen and I support the direction the club went in and believe Seibs is a good coach.

For sure not everything that has happened with our cap is Bennett's fault, but he also isn't faultless. This is the last I will say on this matter because it just goes round and round in circles.
Fair enough , you still rate WB. I do too. Now, could you itemize the 'petty shit' he is doing to 'get back at the club' and your reasons for believing it is as you say?

For mine, I haven't seen anything in particular nor heard anything said that seemed directed towards the club. WB might have an axe to grind with some staff members at the Broncos but I doubt he'd do anything to hurt the club.

I could be wrong though so if you know differently, I mean know of with great certainty or perhaps even with some evidence of his intentions to hurt the club it would be good to see.

Last edited:
Probably for the same reason we made the top 4 in 2017. Because the teams below him shit the bed.
He has the 2nd best win rate in the NRL since 2015. At some point it's no longer about other teams and him just being an excellent coach.

Good luck to the guy, if we weren't so bad this year I'd have been hoping to knock them out the finals but I'm just worried about scraping into the 8 so far.

Sorry to change topic for a bit but just asking your thoughts on DLs belief that Boyd’s best position would be as a centre. Does this infer that Bird won’t be at the club next year? Or is he lined up to play 5/8 th instead? Many thanks in advance.

It's interesting to me that the club would look to somewhat expose that the player cuts were salary cap dependent, because to me that puts a target squarely on the recruitment and retention team... namely Nolan.

I would imagine Nolan is the man negotiating with the player managers. In the first instance he would check cap space and depth with Louise. Would check market value for said player and would then initiate discussions with the player manager to find out what their terms are.

At which point he would come back with the deal put forward by the manager and present it to the rest of the recruitment team (Lockyer, Bennett, Louise and White).

Louise would be there only to keep track of spending and provide reports (you know what an accountant normally does), but it wouldn't be her place to yay or nay outside of whether we can actually afford it and also to notify whether it would put us in a position that wouldn't allow spending on other players, but even then that input could be limited.

To me the final yay or nay comes down to a combination of the Coach (he has to rubber stamp that he actually wants said player for x amount of years and if they're price is high enough he goes in knowing he will be hamstrung for depth in that position) and Nolan (has to know whether we are getting value for money for what the eventual contract is and impact on the rest of the roster as well as impact in future years).

To me Lockyer would be providing a footballing voice separate to the coach like a third party verification, but he's not the coach so he doesn't have to live with the player and he's not ultimately responsible for cap position. He may provide a tie breaker vote when Nolan or Bennett disagree.

White is probably a bit on both sides, but is probably playing mediator most of the time should Nolan and Bennett conflict each other... and you would think most of the time leans towards the coach in terms of rubber stamping a contract. I mean the coach has been appointed to look after the football department.

Ultimately if the coach was adamant on a yay or nay you would probably look to favour towards them as they will basically be the player's direct manager (from a business perspective). There's no point not giving the coach what they want because that can cause conflict between coach and player and directly impact on results.

The length and amount is probably on Nolan, and be caused by multiple factors; perhaps not being able to negotiate hard enough down, perhaps not having enough backing from the rest of the team to flat out refuse a contract or not having enough foresight to see impact of the contract on the future. This becomes especially important when considering the time left on Bennett's contract and what the future would hold. Back when these contracts were signed Bennett was here until the end of this year... that leaves 2 years where the board has created potential overlap of 1 coach leaving and a new coach coming in. Had Boyd, Macca, Gillett, etc. Been given 2-3yr contracts we're not in this position because a new coach comes in and can start yay or nay'ing contract decisions.

Ultimately Nolan comes back and presents Macca 4 years for $2m... Louise says it works in the cap, Bennett says yep I want him, Nolan has finished negotiations and may not have room to move with the manager (the manager may also know Macca's standing in the team could let him push higher on wage demands or length), White backs his coach's decision, Lockyer would only be a voice and is probably only really considered if he vehemently opposed the contract.

An interesting concept could be the current situation of Crichton at the roosters. Given Crichton has been spending the vast majority of his time on the bench did Robertson actually want him??

If he didn't want him and this is what it looks like to force a player on the coach then it can backfire badly ie paying $800k a year for a bench 2nd rower.

Last edited:
I think DL has to play the political game a bit given his position in the club...being a former team mate and all...

I think context is key; is he saying it for this season alone, for the duration of Boyd s contract...is he saying it so guys like Turps feel there is a pathway for them to contribute to the team..?

I honeslty dont know as i havent yet seen for myself the quote from Lockyer..?
[automerge]1563762136[/automerge]
It's interesting to me that the club would look to somewhat expose that the player cuts were salary cap dependent, because to me that puts a target squarely on the recruitment and retention team... namely Nolan.

I would imagine Nolan is the man negotiating with the player managers. In the first instance he would check cap space and depth with Louise. Would check market value for said player and would then initiate discussions with the player manager to find out what their terms are.

At which point he would come back with the deal put forward by the manager and present it to the rest of the recruitment team (Lockyer, Bennett, Louise and White).

Louise would be there only to keep track of spending and provide reports (you know what an accountant normally does), but it wouldn't be her place to yay or nay outside of whether we can actually afford it and also to notify whether it would put us in a position that wouldn't allow spending on other players, but even then that input could be limited.

To me the final yay or nay comes down to a combination of the Coach (he has to rubber stamp that he actually wants said player for x amount of years and if they're price is high enough he goes in knowing he will be hamstrung for depth in that position) and Nolan (has to know whether we are getting value for money for what the eventual contract is and impact on the rest of the roster as well as impact in future years).

To me Lockyer would be providing a footballing voice separate to the coach like a third party verification, but he's not the coach so he doesn't have to live with the player and he's not ultimately responsible for cap position. He may provide a tie breaker vote when Nolan or Bennett disagree.

White is probably a bit on both sides, but is probably playing mediator most of the time should Nolan and Bennett conflict each other... and you would think most of the time leans towards the coach in terms of rubber stamping a contract. I mean the coach has been appointed to look after the football department.

Ultimately if the coach was adamant on a yay or nay you would probably look to favour towards them as they will basically be the player's direct manager (from a business perspective). There's no point not giving the coach what they want because that can cause conflict between coach and player and directly impact on results.

The length and amount is probably on Nolan, and be caused by multiple factors; perhaps not being able to negotiate hard enough down, perhaps not having enough backing from the rest of the team to flat out refuse a contract or not having enough foresight to see impact of the contract on the future. This becomes especially important when considering the time left on Bennett's contract and what the future would hold. Back when these contracts were signed Bennett was here until the end of this year... that leaves 2 years where the board has created potential overlap of 1 coach leaving and a new coach coming in. Had Boyd, Macca, Gillett, etc. Been given 2-3yr contracts we're not in this position because a new coach comes in and can start yay or nay'ing contract decisions.

Ultimately Nolan comes back and presents Macca 4 years for $2m... Louise says it works in the cap, Bennett says yep I want him, Nolan has finished negotiations and may not have room to move with the manager (the manager may also know Macca's standing in the team could let him push higher on wage demands or length), White backs his coach's decision, Lockyer would only be a voice and is probably only really considered if he vehemently opposed the contract.

An interesting concept could be the current situation of Crichton at the roosters. Given Crichton has been spending the vast majority of his time on the bench did Robertson actually want him??

If he didn't want him and this is what it looks like to force a player on the coach then it can backfire badly ie paying $800k a year for a bench 2nd rower.

salary cap management is a bit of a art form; Newcastle are now on track to be overs next season so they have had to stop and reassess all their short to medium term contract negotiations and player recruitment....Broncs aren't alone therefore in this regard...

i think it brings the prospect of a genuine transfer window to be applied across the league from before each season starts. That way contracts run from off season to off season and allow clubs to more correctly anticipate their compliance with the years salary cap. Also stop this ridiculous mid-season poaching that's really turning fans away i feel...

Leaving this to the clubs alone simply isnt working....

Last edited:
I think DL has to play the political game a bit given his position in the club...being a former team mate and all...

I think context is key; is he saying it for this season alone, for the duration of Boyd s contract...is he saying it so guys like Turps feel there is a pathway for them to contribute to the team..?

I honeslty dont know as i havent yet seen for myself the quote from Lockyer..?
[automerge]1563762136[/automerge]

salary cap management is a bit of a art form; Newcastle are now on track to be overs next season so they have had to stop and reassess all their short to medium term contract negotiations and player recruitment....Broncs aren't alone therefore in this regard...

i think it brings the prospect of a genuine transfer window to be applied across the league from before each season starts. That way contracts run from off season to off season and allow clubs to more correctly anticipate their compliance with the years salary cap. Also stop this ridiculous mid-season poaching that's really turning fans away i feel...

Leaving this to the clubs alone simply isnt working....
Not sure how you can claim it's not working ! That's a lot like turning up in your car at your mechanics workshop claiming the cars broken down and inoperable!

What you mean I believe is that you don't like the current system and even though you're only peripherally involved(tenuous at best) you want it changed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Tim K
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Harry Sack
  • The True King
  • Broncosgirl
  • Behold
  • Fozz
  • broncoscope
  • sooticus
  • Johnny92
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.