Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think our current cap situation proves that WB is not a great modern day manager.

Macca: 4 years - 2 in favour and solid money
Boyd 4 years - 2 in favour and 700k
Bird: Arrived injured and 700k
Gillett: 5 years and 700k
Milf: 1 Million, but no support around him to let him be the player her needed to be.

These were all overseen by WB and is literally screwing us now.

I respect Bennett for what he has done for this club as much as anyone, but it's hard to argue.

I think our current cap situation proves that WB is not a great modern day manager.

Milf: 1 Million, but no support around him to let him be the player her needed to be.

Adding Bird to that list makes you hard to take seriously as an objective thinker.

Is he meant to be a god that can foresee injuries?

Also got us Haas for 600k for 6 years, if he keeps up or even improves, that's about a 600k performance profit.

Gillett, Boyd, Macca all terrible signings. Boyd I can understand it. Gillett was straight up an awful signing, Macca was putrid too.

Quoting Milford is just silly.

Out of interest, who outside of Melbourne and the Sombrero Roosters do you regard as having better cap management?

Why are you only getting at Bennett? At least if you are going to have a pop at him be fair about it and accurate about what his role would be. As has been stated many, many times before, our salary cap isnt managed by the coach. The coach has an input, but he isnt responsible for it. Louise Lanigan is charge of the cap, recruitment involves White, Lockyer, the coach and Nolan iirc. Lanigan is the one who controls if we say yes or no financially i believe.

Last edited:
Why are you only getting at Bennett? At least if you are going to have a pop at him be fair about it and accurate about what his role would be. As has been stated many, many times before, our salary cap isnt managed by the coach. The coach has an input, but he isnt responsible for it. Louise Lanigan is charge of the cap, recruitment involves White, Lockyer, the coach and Nolan iirc. Lanigan is the one who controls if we say yes or no financially i believe.
Because the more it all becomes Bennett's fault the easier it'll be to handwave away this garbage fire of a season. At this rate I'm expecting someone to sum up our season with "I'm glad we finished 10th, under Wayne we would have just lost the first finals game anyway!"

Rubbish, WB has strict expectations and influences over what he wants. If you believe the current situation with those players was not controlled or influenced by Bennett your head is in the clouds.

Most people think that because Bennett has famously always controlled everything at the club. Further to that there was strong sentiment that the move to push him out was due to the fact that he had too much control.

Add to that the fact that when he went to Souths he was told he wouldn’t have the same control you can’t blame people for thinking that he had full control of recruitment etc.

It has been reported over the years that Bennett always got what he wanted at Brisbane. He was viewed as God-like by many for a long time. Can't blame anyone either, he had a huge reputation as a winner at the time. At the time it seemed like a good idea. With hindsight he really started losing the plot the last few years.

It has been reported over the years that Bennett always got what he wanted at Brisbane. He was viewed as God-like by many for a long time. Can't blame anyone either, he had a huge reputation as a winner at the time. At the time it seemed like a good idea. With hindsight he really started losing the plot the last few years.
Has Souths at 2nd with a raft of injuries and suspensions. Still an A+ coach.

Has Souths at 2nd with a raft of injuries and suspensions. Still an A+ coach.
I'd give him a generous A-. Still has a number of offers every time he needs a new job so must be doing something right. If I were to take into account his shitty overs contracts he helped hand out he drops to a C. Let's see how Souths are travelling next year when the curse of Jimmy the Drunk's attitude has truly set in.

Last edited:
Rubbish, WB has strict expectations and influences over what he wants. If you believe the current situation with those players was not controlled or influenced by Bennett your head is in the clouds.
Why don't you read what he said! It's not all Bennett who is involved in these players signings, length and amount of money wouldn't be one is dealings. Blame needs to be shared, so pull your head out of your ass and open your eyes.

Because the more it all becomes Bennett's fault the easier it'll be to handwave away this garbage fire of a season. At this rate I'm expecting someone to sum up our season with "I'm glad we finished 10th, under Wayne we would have just lost the first finals game anyway!"
So......
We are rebuilding because we have't kept up.

We got a bunch of kids, good kids but kids, a new coach who’s doing his best, the judges are still deciding if he’s good enough.

A bunch of vultures trying to pick off our best and a bunch of end of their career footballers who are on ridiculous amounts of money considering and won't **** off anytime soon.

So who is responsible if it’s not the coach. Don't tell me it’s the board, they are there to approve or disapprove and regardless our former coach got his own way with them until near the end of his tenure.

Result is we are fighting our way out of salary cap restrictions as well as on the field.

If you want to know where the buck stops ask Garth Brennan or closer to home Wayne Bennett, they were both dispatched for not being able to avoid the mess that resulted under their control.

I'd give him a generous A-. Still has a number of offers every time he needs a new job so must be doing something right. If I were to take into account his shitty overs contracts he helped hand out he drops to a C. Let's see how Souths are travelling next year when the curse of Jimmy the Drunk's attitude has truly set in.
Yeah that's fair.

I guess I've always classed coaches as top tier, average or shit house. I only really class Bellamy and Bennett as top tier coaches, Hasler I think has always been very close to top tier while most of the other coaches either shouldn't be in a job or are just serviceable.

I think Seibold COULD be top tier but we just won't know until at least a couple of years really. Deadset if he can just **** off Macca and definitely make sure Boyd doesn't play beyond next year, we could only really improve.

Bennett is so close to being a brilliant coach but he always has some bonehead stubborn decisions that he won't back away from, like keeping Thaiday around, not replacing Macca, not getting rid of Hunt sooner but on the whole he's still very good. Seibold is just too early in his career to really know if he's the same, he certainly didn't drop Boyd, nor does he seem willing to even make Macca our #2 hooker when he's clearly a downgrade on the other options. He does however put real 7's and real 9's to replace injured players, Bennett often went for some dumb forward just because they're experienced which I hated.

Yeah that's fair.

I guess I've always classed coaches as top tier, average or shit house. I only really class Bellamy and Bennett as top tier coaches, Hasler I think has always been very close to top tier while most of the other coaches either shouldn't be in a job or are just serviceable.

Where do you rate Robinson?

Where do you rate Robinson?

I find it really hard to rate him as top tier, they've went close to the wooden spoon under him and while they did take a premiership last year they literally recruited the best fullback and halfback in the game while losing almost no one in one off season. He has won 2 premierships in 6 years though, so it would be hard to argue that he's not an elite coach... But Roosters. No other club can recruit huge name players like them so regularly and manage to offload every bad purchase so easily.

He owes a lot to this back office staff who do wonders with the accounting to give him the team he has.

You are living in dreamland buddy. It's not the 90's anymore, Wayne wasn't running the show. If you actually took the time to get past your anti Bennett agenda, you would see I clearly said he is part of an overall process. What he doesn't do, and with just a little bit of research you could have found it out for yourself, is have the final say. That's Louise Lanigan who has that job, and I'd have to think White as well. Nolan would be finding and recommending players, Locky would be looking over them as well and the coach would be saying who he wants. The coach just doesn't have the kind of power you think he does these days.
[automerge]1563702330[/automerge]
So......
We are rebuilding because we have't kept up.

We got a bunch of kids, good kids but kids, a new coach who’s doing his best, the judges are still deciding if he’s good enough.

A bunch of vultures trying to pick off our best and a bunch of end of their career footballers who are on ridiculous amounts of money considering and won't **** off anytime soon.

So who is responsible if it’s not the coach. Don't tell me it’s the board, they are there to approve or disapprove and regardless our former coach got his own way with them until near the end of his tenure.

Result is we are fighting our way out of salary cap restrictions as well as on the field.

If you want to know where the buck stops ask Garth Brennan or closer to home Wayne Bennett, they were both dispatched for not being able to avoid the mess that resulted under their control.

I think its fair to say Bennett has to take some blame to a point as he has an input. At the same time, if he is going to get the criticism for the likes of Macca and Boyd from some on here, why isnt he being roundly praised for Staggs, Carrigan, Flegler, Oates, Fifita, Haas, TPJ, Lodge etc who were all recruited on his watch. Despite my reservations at the time, the Haas deal look about the best bit of contract business we have done ever. I dont see too many of the anti Wayne cult giving him a pat on the back for that ( which they shouldnt anyway, because he was just a part of the process ).

Last edited:
I think its fair to say Bennett has to take some blame to a point as he has an input. At the same time, if he is going to get the criticism for the likes of Macca and Boyd from some on here, why isnt he being roundly praised for Staggs, Carrigan, Flegler, Oates, Fifita, Haas, TPJ, Lodge etc who were all recruited on his watch. Despite my reservations at the time, the Haas deal look about the best bit of contract business we have done ever. I dont see too many of the anti Wayne cult giving him a pat on the back for that ( which they shouldnt anyway, because he was just a part of the process ).
Coaches of NRL teams have responsibilities no doubt. They coach, they recommend, they advise and hopefully they retain. They don't find.

Coaches of NRL teams have responsibilities no doubt. They coach, they recommend, they advise and hopefully they retain. They don't find.

Not from junior level I'd agree they don't. But Bennett has been very instrumental in persuading some of our younger guys to sign here. It's fairly common knowledge Haas for example signed because of Wayne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Rambstien
  • Bish
  • KateBroncos1812
  • RolledOates
  • BroncosMan
  • broncos4life
  • kiwibronco
  • jd87
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • bert_lifts
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.