Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Patty will commit to a 3 year deal and TPJ only a one year deal I'd rather sign Pat
100% agree... Fifita is also a key re-signing. Both qlders and both have been leaders throughout the grades.

I can see us wasting too much time trying to lock down TPJ only to lose some of the other guys who want to stay at the broncos.

Hasn't TPJ said repeatedly he wants to stay at the Broncos for the foreseeable future?

Once Bird/Boyd leave that will free up funds.

Hasn't TPJ said repeatedly he wants to stay at the Broncos for the foreseeable future?

Once Bird/Boyd leave that will free up funds.
It also sounds like he wants 12 month contracts for the foreseeable future, which could mean it'll be a circus each time he's off contract. Could end up being the makings of an SBW situation.

Sounds like TPJ will be here next year but only on a 12 month contract which means the speculation for 2020 will begin instantly

I'd just like to see us use some initiative and lock down Fifita long term before the speculation and circus can even have a chance of beginning on him as well... same with Carrigan.

Can't put all the eggs in one basket.

Last edited:
100% agree... Fifita is also a key re-signing. Both qlders and both have been leaders throughout the grades.

I can see us wasting too much time trying to lock down TPJ only to lose some of the other guys who want to stay at the broncos.

Even though tpj has said he wants to stay, he still doesn’t convince me that he’s a die for the jersey type of guy. Not to the broncos anyway

It also sounds like he wants 12 month contracts for the foreseeable future, which could mean it'll be a circus each time he's off contract. Could end up being the makings of an SBW situation.

Sounds like TPJ will be here next year but only on a 12 month contract which means the speculation for 2020 will begin instantly

I'd just like to see us use some initiative and lock down Fifita long term before the speculation and circus can even have a chance of beginning on him as well... same with Carrigan.

Can't put all the eggs in one basket.
To be fair to the club, they have beem doing exactly this. Haas, milford and isaako have all signed longer deals and the broncos have recently been more proactive in re-signings (fifta, staggs and haas all signed well before there was a chance for it to become a circus). They cant help it if players are trying to put pressure on them, but at the same time i hope they dont succumb to it. Its a privledge to play for us. 40,000 crowds, biggest following, constant tv presence with the highest ratings, amazing facilities, fantastic history, great player/staffing support with any need catered for or education given, and by far the best record of looking after players.

Recently voted in a player poll that it is the most popular club they would want to be at if not their current club. If any player is dumb enough to leave for a 70 year old coach for 3 years of their career then so be it. Im sure we will have a few players who wouldnt mind taking their spot in our club. For a few years our club lost site of this, the proactiveness and ruthlessness we have shown the last few years has re-instated my faith in this area. We dont wait or bow to anyone, why should we?

We are the fucking broncos!

Uhhh, the PM doesn't literally pick the side.

normally that would be the case, but:

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison took a particularly keen interest in this year's PM's XIII for the match against Papua New Guinea, lending a hand in deciding the make-up of the squad.

In previous years the PM's XIII team usually just received a stamp of approval from government, but Morrison, a long-term rugby league fan and a Cronulla tragic, was keen to leave his fingerprints on the team Mal Meninga will take to Papua New Guinea next week.

read the rest:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/26...-interest-in-prime-ministers-xiii-selections/

Last edited:
I don't see why we can't try something new in order to fit everyone in.

There's that saying of just trying to get the best players you have into the 17.

Would love to sweep some players out if we were ignoring contracts.

Free up some cap while looking to the future and maintaining a competitive squad.

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. David Fifita
5. James Roberts
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tanah Boyd
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Josh McGuire
11. Jaydn Su'a
12. Matt Gillett
13. Patrick Carrigan
17. Joe Ofahengaue

I know everyone will hate the sight of this. But, it's just to show that we could create cap space while having a decent side.

I don't see why we can't try something new in order to fit everyone in.

There's that saying of just trying to get the best players you have into the 17.

Would love to sweep some players out if we were ignoring contracts.

Free up some cap while looking to the future and maintaining a competitive squad.

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. David Fifita
5. James Roberts
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tanah Boyd
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Josh McGuire
11. Jaydn Su'a
12. Matt Gillett
13. Patrick Carrigan
17. Joe Ofahengaue

I know everyone will hate the sight of this. But, it's just to show that we could create cap space while having a decent side.

picard-facepalm.jpg

I was thinking, there needs to be an experiement. Have someone like Big Pete or Super Freak or whoever find the shittiest side on BHQ and post it as their own and see if they can convince people it's a good one.

I was thinking, there needs to be an experiement. Have someone like Big Pete or Super Freak or whoever find the shittiest side on BHQ and post it as their own and see if they can convince people it's a good one.

Allow me to introduce,

The Griffin.

1. Bird
2. Oates
3. Glenn
4. Su'A
5. Fifita
6. Staggs
7. McCullough
8. Lodge
9. McGuire
10. Haas
11. Pangai Jr
12. Gillett (c)
13. Ofahengaue

14. Savelio
15. Fai
16. Mago
17. Funaki

I don't think Reynolds is much of an upgrade to Kodi, and he'd probably demand a lot more money too. 99.9% of his value comes from one of his legs.

Reynolds' ball playing is absolutely awful, he wouldn't get our right side firing more than Kodi is. Souffs right side attack looked like shit against the better sides with him there.

I think Reynolds has one of the best kicking games in the comp, which would free Milf up to ball play more. As much as his kicking improved out of sight this season, his running game and ball playing suffered because of it. I think our halves definitely look better rounded with another kicking in there, even better if it means Kodi comes off the bench for some impact late in the halves.

Allow me to introduce,

The Griffin.

1. Bird
2. Oates
3. Glenn
4. Su'A
5. Fifita
6. Staggs
7. McCullough
8. Lodge
9. McGuire
10. Haas
11. Pangai Jr
12. Gillett (c)
13. Ofahengaue

14. Savelio
15. Fai
16. Mago
17. Funaki

Can I have a go at justifying it? Here are the tough ones:

1. Bird - was impressive there for Sharks in his rookie days. He's a powerful ball-runner who would get our sets off to a great start, he's certainly mobile enough (and young enough to be able to work towards the fitness required), and from also playing in the #6 has at least some ball-playing experience.

3. & 4. Glenn & Su'A - While arguably less mobile than our traditional centres, they are incredibly powerful. Imagine our halves skipping out to the right and having the options of Gillett, Su'A & Fifita to throw to, with Bird shaping around the back. Even if they don't have the absolute pace to get through untouched, each has the power to simply throw off their opposite should they get one-on-one. It brings back memories of our 2000 premiership, with a massive team across the park that could simply bully our opposition in to submission. Even though the interchange was different then, Glenn & Su'A have been able to play big minutes in the pack from a young age, so lasting 80 in the centres will be a walk in the park.

5. Fifita - Like Oates, just an unstoppable, powerful ball returner. Tall enough to be safe under the high ball, and a fantastic attitude and work ethic, meaning he will not stop training and improving in the nuances of wing play, especially defensively.

6. Staggs - Perfect for the #6 jersey. We've seen how good his running game is, but also how good he is at setting up his inside and outside man, powerful enough to hold the opposition up and still get the ball away with 2 or 3 defenders on him.

7. McCullough - The best halfbacks in the competition aren't speed machines. What they have is a cool head under pressure, a decent long kicking game, and the ability to stick to a game plan. With our centres lacking on mobility, McCullough's unparalleled defensive ability means his outside defence will have full faith in him and won't be pressured in to coming in, as has happened with Nikorima.

9. McGuire - An international hooker. He may be 108kgs, but he's not tall, so his weight is low to the ground, which as we've seen, allows him to scoop up and shuffle the ball off the ground easily. Doesn't have the running game of a Cook or McCullough, but won't need to - the forwards (and for that matter, the backs too) will be the ones creating the momentum.

Milford, Boyd & Roberts: We've easily freed up $2.5 million to make sure we not only retain all our quality juniors, but have the ability to sign the best talent from wherever we want, whenever we want.

Can I have a go at justifying it? Here are the tough ones:

1. Bird - was impressive there for Sharks in his rookie days. He's a powerful ball-runner who would get our sets off to a great start, he's certainly mobile enough (and young enough to be able to work towards the fitness required), and from also playing in the #6 has at least some ball-playing experience.

3. & 4. Glenn & Su'A - While arguably less mobile than our traditional centres, they are incredibly powerful. Imagine our halves skipping out to the right and having the options of Gillett, Su'A & Fifita to throw to, with Bird shaping around the back. Even if they don't have the absolute pace to get through untouched, each has the power to simply throw off their opposite should they get one-on-one. It brings back memories of our 2000 premiership, with a massive team across the park that could simply bully our opposition in to submission. Even though the interchange was different then, Glenn & Su'A have been able to play big minutes in the pack from a young age, so lasting 80 in the centres will be a walk in the park.

5. Fifita - Like Oates, just an unstoppable, powerful ball returner. Tall enough to be safe under the high ball, and a fantastic attitude and work ethic, meaning he will not stop training and improving in the nuances of wing play, especially defensively.

6. Staggs - Perfect for the #6 jersey. We've seen how good his running game is, but also how good he is at setting up his inside and outside man, powerful enough to hold the opposition up and still get the ball away with 2 or 3 defenders on him.

7. McCullough - The best halfbacks in the competition aren't speed machines. What they have is a cool head under pressure, a decent long kicking game, and the ability to stick to a game plan. With our centres lacking on mobility, McCullough's unparalleled defensive ability means his outside defence will have full faith in him and won't be pressured in to coming in, as has happened with Nikorima.

9. McGuire - An international hooker. He may be 108kgs, but he's not tall, so his weight is low to the ground, which as we've seen, allows him to scoop up and shuffle the ball off the ground easily. Doesn't have the running game of a Cook or McCullough, but won't need to - the forwards (and for that matter, the backs too) will be the ones creating the momentum.

Milford, Boyd & Roberts: We've easily freed up $2.5 million to make sure we not only retain all our quality juniors, but have the ability to sign the best talent from wherever we want, whenever we want.

It's a joke but that side could probably beat a lot of the NRL sides in the comp.

Isn't this the real Griffin:

1. Bird (He's fat, therefore powerful ala Barba)
2. Boyd (Just cos)
3. Gillett (he defends so...)
4. Kahu (he's gotta be in there somewhere right?)
5. McCullough (He's slow and low, often taking the wrong option but goodness me, he's likeable, so put him here)
6. Isaako (He's a winger, no ball-playing skills whatsoever but boy he wants to be fullback, so he goes here)
7. Milford (He plays as HB so just put the number on his back already)
8. McGuire (He belongs here, even Griff knows that)
9. Glenn (He has played there, so he must be good at it)
10. Sims (He would have stayed and he does 1% well, exactly what you need here)
11. Oates (Cos he wants to be here, so we play him where he wants)
12. Thaiday (He's still got it)
13. Parker (He's still got it)

14. KNik (Cos that's what you need at 14)
15. TPJ (He'll get ten minutes)
16. Carrigan (He'll get 5 minutes)
17. - (No need anyway)

Isn't this the real Griffin:

1. Bird (He's fat, therefore powerful ala Barba)
2. Boyd (Just cos)
3. Gillett (he defends so...)
4. Kahu (he's gotta be in there somewhere right?)
5. McCullough (He's slow and low, often taking the wrong option but goodness me, he's likeable, so put him here)
6. Isaako (He's a winger, no ball-playing skills whatsoever but boy he wants to be fullback, so he goes here)
7. Milford (He plays as HB so just put the number on his back already)
8. McGuire (He belongs here, even Griff knows that)
9. Glenn (He has played there, so he must be good at it)
10. Sims (He would have stayed and he does 1% well, exactly what you need here)
11. Oates (Cos he wants to be here, so we play him where he wants)
12. Thaiday (He's still got it)
13. Parker (He's still got it)

14. KNik (Cos that's what you need at 14)
15. TPJ (He'll get ten minutes)
16. Carrigan (He'll get 5 minutes)
17. - (No need anyway)

17. Ben hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Financeguy
  • kiwibronco
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bucking Beads
  • Big Del
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Culhwch
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • mitch222
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • Jazza
  • Fatboy
  • Harry Sack
  • bb_gun
  • broncsgoat
  • Santa
  • Lurker
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.