Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canberra Raiders poach young Brisbane Broncos forward
September 12, 2019

THE Canberra Raiders have secured the services of a Brisbane Broncos ”workhorse” after signing the young star forward to a three-year deal earlier this week.

Australian Schoolboys front-rower Jayden ‘JJ’ Clarkson, who was one of the dominant players at the recent National Schools Championships, made the switch to Canberra after two seasons under contract with the Broncos.

The 17-year-old had offers from three NRL clubs, including Brisbane, but would have been stuck behind a plethora of young forwards such as Payne Haas, Tevita Pangai Jr, David Fifita and more if he remained at Red Hill.

JJ Clarkson and the Queensland Schoolboys team after winning the National Championship.
JJ Clarkson and the Queensland Schoolboys team after winning the National Championship.
After developing his skills in the Wynnum Manly Seagulls Academy, at Redlands Junior Rugby League and at Wavell State High School, Clarkson believed moving to the Raiders was the best decision for his future.

“They (Canberra) are really good at developing their young talent and have a good reputation in this area,” his mum, Sharon Clarkson, said.

“He had offers from three clubs but Canberra just had a better offer than the other ones.

“He’s really looking forward to it, obviously it was a tough decision to move away from home, but we think it’s the best move for his career.”

Wynnum Manly Seagulls Academy manager Glen Dreger. Picture: AAP/Richard Walker

Wynnum Manly Seagulls Academy development manager Glen Dreger said Clarkson had the potential similar to that of Broncos powerhouse Matt Lodge.

“I think that’s the closest comparison for Jayden,” he said.

“He gets through a lot of work, he has a great motor and just continues to work the entire game. He doesn’t need much rest at all.

“Obviously it would have been great to see him stay at the Broncos but that’s the way it goes. Brisbane have a very good young nucleus of forwards there so there may not be as much opportunity. Brisbane can’t sign them all.

“But I think he has got a long career ahead of him.”

lol like Garry would know. He's just sticking to the industry standard so if we do sign him the perpetual outrage can continue. Then again there probably are no whispers, it's probably just something he made up or read on a forum somewhere.
Chris Garry is one of the better ones to be fair. He's usually pretty evenhanded and balanced in his coverage of the Broncos and seems to be about as 'on the money' as any journalist really can be these days.

Be proud of of mediocrity? Would rather not.

Making the finals winning just 11 games is an abomination.
Canberra Raiders poach young Brisbane Broncos forward
September 12, 2019

THE Canberra Raiders have secured the services of a Brisbane Broncos ”workhorse” after signing the young star forward to a three-year deal earlier this week.

Australian Schoolboys front-rower Jayden ‘JJ’ Clarkson, who was one of the dominant players at the recent National Schools Championships, made the switch to Canberra after two seasons under contract with the Broncos.

The 17-year-old had offers from three NRL clubs, including Brisbane, but would have been stuck behind a plethora of young forwards such as Payne Haas, Tevita Pangai Jr, David Fifita and more if he remained at Red Hill.

After developing his skills in the Wynnum Manly Seagulls Academy, at Redlands Junior Rugby League and at Wavell State High School, Clarkson believed moving to the Raiders was the best decision for his future.

“They (Canberra) are really good at developing their young talent and have a good reputation in this area,” his mum, Sharon Clarkson, said.

“He had offers from three clubs but Canberra just had a better offer than the other ones.

“He’s really looking forward to it, obviously it was a tough decision to move away from home, but we think it’s the best move for his career.”

Wynnum Manly Seagulls Academy development manager Glen Dreger said Clarkson had the potential similar to that of Broncos powerhouse Matt Lodge.

“I think that’s the closest comparison for Jayden,” he said.

“He gets through a lot of work, he has a great motor and just continues to work the entire game. He doesn’t need much rest at all.

“Obviously it would have been great to see him stay at the Broncos but that’s the way it goes. Brisbane have a very good young nucleus of forwards there so there may not be as much opportunity. Brisbane can’t sign them all.

“But I think he has got a long career ahead of him.”

Its not Pokemon is it folks.....im sure when he hits his prime he will return to QLD....

Croft is not a good get. Playing 7 for the Storm is the easiest halfback gig in the comp... if he can't succeed there he's no chance amongst our rabble.
Was he actually bad though? I feel like he was dropped to get Paps in the team rather than because Croft was bad.

I don't really sit there and play close attention to individual players from that club but from memory he always seemed to have a really decent long kicking game, his short kicking game was pretty spot on besides the occasional kick dead. He threatened the line a fair bit with speed to match, and I did not really notice any obvious bad defence.

Like I said though, I never paid attention to him in particular but I always thought he was at least above average. It really depends how highly the club rates Dearden I guess but I can't see Croft being a bad buy if we just take over the last year of his contract (next year) with Melbourne chipping in a bit. At the very least, we desperately need backup halves.

Between Dearden/SOS who else do we have to fill in? SOS seems like an injury magnet already and Dearden is still a kid.

Last edited:
Between Dearden/SOS who else do we have to fill in? SOS seems like an injury magnet already and Dearden is still a kid.

the reality is also that if SOS has done an ACL, he'll be out of action for most of next season anyway, probably all of it.

next season, i'd definitely be running with a spine of:

1. Milford
6. Bird
7. Dearden
9. Turpin

i'm not entirely against swapping Bird and Milford, but i think it's better if we run this way. I'd be more confident with Bird handling the frontline defense, Milf can pick and choose his moments, hunting around the ruck looking for the offload.

IMO, he has been better since moving to the back, and after a proper pre-season re-learning the position and getting the required fitness level (and with a proper half, i.e. someone not named Boyd) we will have a hell of a player on our hands, and one that might actually earn his million dollar pay check.

FTR, i'd play Boyd a left center if he sticks around next season.

the reality is also that if SOS has done an ACL, he'll be out of action for most of next season anyway, probably all of it.

next season, i'd definitely be running with a spine of:

1. Milford
6. Bird
7. Dearden
9. Turpin

i'm not entirely against swapping Bird and Milford, but i think it's better if we run this way. I'd be more confident with Bird handling the frontline defense, Milf can pick and choose his moments, hunting around the ruck looking for the offload.

IMO, he has been better since moving to the back, and after a proper pre-season re-learning the position and getting the required fitness level (and with a proper half, i.e. someone not named Boyd) we will have a hell of a player on our hands, and one that might actually earn his million dollar pay check.

FTR, i'd play Boyd a left center if he sticks around next season.

I don’t even mind milf playing fullback if he’s allowed to play like one.

He’s a gun. He’ll be good in either position. I just like him better at 6.

You’ve changed, bro. 😂

No that’s been my position the whole time.

I have said that I don’t think he has been playing well at 1 though.

Last edited:
Nrl leaks saying we're looking at Loyd perrett for a cheap pickup

Paix.. only young, but comes with a lot of promise.

For those in the know is Paix a good kicker??

I'm not sold on Dearden's kicking game as yet, granted he's had limited opportunity, but are either of them just naturally good kickers??

Moses, Norman, Cleary, etc. came into grade with natural kicking games and it seems like we've not had a decent kicking game since Lockyer

Nrl leaks saying we're looking at Loyd perrett for a cheap pickup

Eh, George Rose clone. Rather we just got Jordan Grant from Redcliffe and maybe Brown from Devils.

Last edited:
I don’t even mind milf playing fullback if he’s allowed to play like one.

He’s a gun. He’ll be good in either position. I just like him better at 6.

You put a good, confident seven next to Milf at 6 and a fullback he doesn't have to mop up after and, attitude willing, he's the best six in the comp imo.

I used to hope he'd be the one man band as the other pieces all fell away (under Wayne 😉) but he's not, despite his price tag. He can't drag the team or even steer them most of the time without decent support, which he hasn't had consistently to be fair.

I also wouldn't mind Foordy's line up either, he's more exciting at fullback in this line up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Redux
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Porthoz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • NSW stables
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behold
  • Mick_Hancock
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.