OFFICIAL Broncos Sourced Player Movement and Confirmed Signings - Locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some talk about uncle Nick getting his hands on him.

hopefully him and his family look at this sensibly ... he would have an open run at our fullback position. while at the Roosters he would be stuck behind Teddy

just make sure we don't agree to insert that BS release clause

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaz
What about Ricky Leutele? He'd be solid for us I reckon! Queenslander too!

On the topic of POs... when did Turpin get 2 years of them? Add Bullemor to that as well supposedly (1 year). I knew you had a few (Lodge, Bird, Oates) but thought PO were for at the very least contested signings to get deals over the line. I didn't realise the club were handing them out that willy nilly. Seriously messed up.
To me a PO is only useful when you want to low ball someone so for Turpin a PO is probably ok.

He's probably on $300k, but the PO's provide him with security whilst allowing us to sign him relatively cheap. If he becomes a superstar he has flexibility to renegotiate for a higher price, but he's also young and we've got him cheap so if it doesn't work out it wouldn't be too hard to find him a new home.

Where PO's become an issue is when you are providing PO's to a player's salary at its peak (Bird, Milf, etc.). You're not low balling them so what advantage is it to the club.

If Bird was $600k for 4yrs with PO's to renegotiate should he kill it and earn an upgrade then that would be a good deal, but starting at the peak and then giving PO's at the peak salary is stupid.

The other way to think about PO's is just assuming them as part of the length of the contract... so we effectively signed Bird on a 4 year deal. To me that length is fair enough for a guy you're willing to spend $1m on.
**FWIW I have never thought Bird was worth $1m a season and never really wanted him at the club, but the Broncos obviously had different thoughts.

It only becomes an issue because people are like argh why did we give him a PO now we're stuck with him... but in reality maybe the Broncos always wanted him for 4 years, but Bird wasnt sure and therefore wanted the 4th year to be a PO so he had a get out if he wanted to change teams down the line

If he lives up to the hype like Haas then go all out for him.
Hooper reporting that we have made contact with the Suaallii family to offer him the the fullback position

If he lives up to the hype like Haas then go all out for him.
If we signed him then would we consider Niu playing 6 in the future and replacing Milford's role in the side?

I don't have any. they're are no quality off contract.

that's why we have to wait for clubs to finish their reviews. and for Kevvie and the recruitment guys to be ready for a gem to become available. remember that there are 5 new coaches for 2021. plus another several that will need to change things up.

on contract that may be a chance to be released are:

Fullback:
Allen - if he has fixed his attitude form his last stint here

Jarhome Hughes - off contract at the end of 2021. we could look to sign him for 2022, then try to get an early release. (although since he's at the Storm, not much chance of that)

Scott Drinkwater - off contract at the end of 2021. we could look to sign him for 2022, then try to get an early release.

center:
Braidon Burns and Stephen Crichton are off contract at the end of 2021. both could be decent options at center. we could look to sign then for 2022, then try to get an early release.

What was wrong with Allen's attitude at Brisbane?

Throwing a huge contact at a young kid who's unproven in NRL is about the stupidest thing we could do.

Especially if the rumours about the clauses and size of said contract are true. Don't get me wrong, I would be excited to see what all the hype is about I just don't think it is what our squad needs right now.

Hooper reporting that we have made contact with the Suaallii family to offer him the the fullback position
That has to be bullshit.

What was wrong with Allen's attitude at Brisbane?

Admittedly, I only have the reports and rumours to go on. but they were that he had a big head and was demanding superstar money (without having earned it) as a fringe player. which was the reason that Bennett didn't even fight to keep him.

quotes from Bennett Re: Allen

“Corey has been very good, really good. He has surprised me,” Bennett said ahead of Allan’s backfield duel with Penrith rival Dylan Edwards.

“Corey had been recruited by the Broncos and he got a good offer to go to South Sydney (at the end of 2018).

“To be honest I didn’t think he would make it at the Broncos.

“He just wasn’t tracking in the right direction for me, but Souths saw something in him and thought he was worthwhile picking up.

“He went with my blessing, I just couldn‘t find a place for him in the Broncos team and I didn’t think he would play as he has subsequently played here at Souths.”

“Corey has played with confidence, I can’t give him a big enough wrap,” Bennett said.

“He probably needed to grow up.

“Corey has improved with his fitness and confidence in himself.

That has to be bullshit.

it was from Hooper, so ...

Haha Hooper, they need to stop trying to make blokes like him look legit, he has slightly more info than Ritchie, that says it all.

On the topic of POs... when did Turpin get 2 years of them? Add Bullemor to that as well supposedly (1 year). I knew you had a few (Lodge, Bird, Oates) but thought PO were for at the very least contested signings to get deals over the line. I didn't realise the club were handing them out that willy nilly. Seriously messed up.
Ok Chris, thanks for newsflash.

Admittedly, I only have the reports and rumours to go on. but they were that he had a big head and was demanding superstar money (without having earned it) as a fringe player. which was the reason that Bennett didn't even fight to keep him.

quotes from Bennett Re: Allen

“Corey has been very good, really good. He has surprised me,” Bennett said ahead of Allan’s backfield duel with Penrith rival Dylan Edwards.

“Corey had been recruited by the Broncos and he got a good offer to go to South Sydney (at the end of 2018).

“To be honest I didn’t think he would make it at the Broncos.

“He just wasn’t tracking in the right direction for me, but Souths saw something in him and thought he was worthwhile picking up.

“He went with my blessing, I just couldn‘t find a place for him in the Broncos team and I didn’t think he would play as he has subsequently played here at Souths.”

“Corey has played with confidence, I can’t give him a big enough wrap,” Bennett said.

“He probably needed to grow up.

“Corey has improved with his fitness and confidence in himself.

it was from Hooper, so ...

It was all playing related nothing attitude. Bennett just didn't think he'd crack first grade here and told him to take the Sydney offer- he played 47 NYC games and 20 games for Souths and I have never heard about an attitude issue. He wouldn't be making Mal's rep sides for tours and Emerging if he had a problem. He was great in PNG- he hadn't even played NRL and was the only non NRL player Mal took with him.

Last edited:
I didn't say that. But hopefully there is some sort of centre merry go round where we end up with an opportunity to sign someone decen

I wouldn't want any of those guys you mention.

but if the rumours are true that Naden is on the outer at the Panthers, i would take him in a heartbeat
Yep , funny that they have decided to start him after a few media calls he would look at his options if he was overlooked.

It was all playing related nothing attitude. Bennett just didn't think he'd crack first grade here and told him to take the Sydney offer- he played 47 NYC games and 20 games for Souths and I have never heard about an attitude issue. He wouldn't be making Mal's rep sides for tours and Emerging if he had a problem. He was great in PNG- he hadn't even played NRL and was the only non NRL player Mal took with him.
He did think he should have been playing at the time too. Which I just put down to confidence. When Bennett signed with the Rabbitohs he wasn’t happy but never showed his disdain, was more worried that he wasn’t going to get to play again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Wolfie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Griffo
  • Santa
  • Jazza
  • BroncosAlways
  • IceWorks
  • Ozired
  • mitch222
  • Lurker
  • Big Del
  • ozzball
  • Foordy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Culhwch
  • FACTHUNT
  • Financeguy
  • kiwibronco
  • Bucking Beads
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.