Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hardly, never once have i seen mention of salary cap rorting or preferential treatment for that matter. This poor me attitude that the non queensland media is out to get everything to do with queensland is so ridiculous. Sure there may be bias, but there is no more bias in the sydney media then there is in the brisbane media.
You obviously move in more enlightened circles than I.

You obviously move in more enlightened circles than I.

I don't know if you're taking the piss or not, but the broncos get very little publicity down here, which is a pain in the ass for me.

Hardly, never once have i seen mention of salary cap rorting or preferential treatment for that matter. This poor me attitude that the non queensland media is out to get everything to do with queensland is so ridiculous. Sure there may be bias, but there is no more bias in the sydney media then there is in the brisbane media.

All media is extremely one-eyed and biased towards whatever place they service. Courier mail is a Queensland paper and sings the praises of Queensland while the daily telegraph is a NSW paper does the same but to another place.

All media is extremely one-eyed and biased towards whatever place they service. Courier mail is a Queensland paper and sings the praises of Queensland while the daily telegraph is a NSW paper does the same but to another place.

But i would not for a minute say the daily telegraph bags the broncos, especially considering they are owned by news limited.

But i would not for a minute say the daily telegraph bags the broncos, especially considering they are owned by news limited.

So your saying Slothfield and kent don't bag the broncos at any chance? I think even they would disagree with you lol

So your saying Slothfield and kent don't bag the broncos at any chance? I think even they would disagree with you lol

I don't think they set out to bag the broncos no. If you watch kent on fox sports he is actually rather balanced. Buzz rothfield is a useless sack of shit ill agree with that. But he is just a one eyed sharks fan.

I don't think they set out to bag the broncos no. If you watch kent on fox sports he is actually rather balanced. Buzz rothfield is a useless sack of shit ill agree with that. But he is just a one eyed sharks fan.
Really have to disagree with you on that. He doesn't hide his bias against the Broncos at all... Any chance he gets, he will use and abuse it to put the boot in.

Slothfield is just an idiot indeed. One eyed Sharks, NSW and Sydney centric moron!

I agree 100% about the signing of superstars. However, what you said is exactly why Griffin is, IMO, such a problem. I think his record with our young players is mediocre at best.

Gillett -- Started off great, but has arguably become inconsistent since and has yet to improve on his ROTY form. In no way would I say 2013 was his best season.

Glenn -- Superb 2012 campaign, identified as future captain of the club and made our vice captain. One year later and he has just had a sub-par 2013 and was overlooked for captaincy after it became available. In no way would I say 2013 was his best season.

Hala -- Has never really lived up to his potential. Not going to say this is Griffin's fault, some players just don't live up to the hype. But it's important to note because he's not the first youngster under Griffin to have that tag.

Hoffman -- Probably an exception in this list as I feel 2013 was his best season for us. However he still seems to think of himself as a fullback and is possibly leaving at the end of the contract?

Hunt -- Was a great prospect. Toyota Cup player of the year, future half etc. So Griffin, in all his wisdom, had him spend 2 years learning his trade as a playmaker by playing him off the bench as a reserve hooker. If Hunt comes good, it is surely in spite of Griffin and not because of him.

McCullough -- Hasn't really made any improvements since his first 2 seasons. If anything, I think he regressed in 2013 from 2012. Still has those bad plays in him despite over 100 games and Griffin having 2 full years to coach it out of him. In no way would I say 2013 was his best season.

McGuire -- IMO he is easily our best developed young player, who has consistently built upon each previous season and will soon be a key piece to our pack, if not already. Probably the only player on this list Griffin gets a high mark for.

Norman -- Consensus is he sucks, and for the most part he did suck for us. But is that Norman's fault or Griffin's. Now that he is under Stuart we'll get to see which way for sure, but Lockyer had big wraps on him and so did some others. Now, like I said, they may not be deserved, but chalk this down to another promising young player Griffin didn't get the best out of. Maybe, like Hala, it's just not to be with Norman, but I'm beginning to sense a trend here.

Oates -- Had a great 2013, but that was his rookie year. Let's hope unlike Gillett he goes from strength to strength, but it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't even make our 17.

Now not all young players come good, but if you consider where we were at the end of 2011, I think we should be disappointed by how little our youngsters have improved since then.
As promised, I'll answer this post, which is actually one of the major points the Broncos have to look into.

I don't think Griffin has much responsibility with some of these players, but he certainly has to look in the mirror for some of the failings of others:

- Hunt is definitely the one that jumps out the most, being utilised as a hooker sub for nearly 3 seasons. I can understand wanting to subject Hunt to the rigours of the NRL, but not how he wasn't made to further develop and hone his skills in Q-cup. Maybe some people here are right, and Hunt will never be more than a stop-gap, but I see something in him and hope he will be able to grab this opportunity with both hands.
- Gillett and Glenn are a little in the same boat, and this is definitely a coaching issue imo. The players have been under-utilised, in the sense that their didn't take advantage of their strengths, and didn't work on their weaknesses. I maintain that Gillett can be a superstar if coached properly. Moving to the left side of the field made a difference to his leaky defence, and Hunt seemed to bring a better Gillett out as well. Hopefully this will build on. Glenn may not have the talent of Gillett, but is still a damm fine second rower, who works hard, has a great engine and hits the line at speed. His year as the Broncos top try scorer was no fluke, and we should have built on that!
- Macca, again a coaching issue in my opinion. He will never be Cameron Smith, but he has shown that he can perform as a top hooker on occasion. It's the coaching's staff responsibility to ensure he maintains a high performance standard. More than any other player at the club, he is paying the price of not being coached properly.
- McGuire, he is without a doubt "Corey Parker Mark II", and will only keep improving imo, but even he has shown deficiencies (mainly in defence) that should be addressed.
- Hoffman is an excellent winger and should never, ever, be more than a stand-in for a modern fullback. He's a great defender, has a great aerial game, carries the ball well and is a fantastic finisher... all the attributes of a winger of excellence. Hook deserves some credit for recognising it, and moving Norman into the fullback position.
- Oates, we'll see what happens this year, but Hook was forced to use him on the wing given the desperation we were in. Credit to Griffin that he turned out to be a gun there, and hopefully a long-term Bronco with a fantastic career.
- Hala, has everything to be a brutal impact player of the bench, but lets himself down. Not entirely sure whether this is coaching or not, but I'll wait and see whether Corvo is able to get something going there...
- Norman, was given every chance to shine by Hook, but doesn't have the work ethic or sacrificing spirit to ever be a great. Has heaps of talent, but won't deliver... ever imo.

Does this mean I think Griffin is worthless? No!

He has the players with him, which is of great importance, but he needs to surround himself with the best professionals in the business.
He has taken some steps, and I hope the arrival of Corvo will make a huge difference, but he should've gone further.
I am afraid his assistants won't bring out what we need, both in terms of offence and defence. I really hope I'm wrong!

I do believe the club is heading in the right direction, especially in terms of development and retention of players/youth, which is what we need to focus on for the future, because there is very little chance we'll be able to lure other club's superstars.

P.S. That Hoffman still believes he is a fullback is really not Hook's fault. Either he doesn't watch his own games, or he is way too susceptible to what other people put in his head...

Last edited:
I don't know if you're taking the piss or not, but the broncos get very little publicity down here, which is a pain in the ass for me.

Whilst I don't agree with you assertion that Brisbane don't cop shit from the Sydney media the first chance they get, I will however concede that the Broncs do get very little publicity in Sydney.

Try and find quality supporter merchandise in any one of the hundreds of sporting stores in Sydney and you will struggle.

Anything positive to say about the Broncos and you won't find it written in the daily telecrap but as it's been pointed out, The Courier mail is no better on this front regarding non-QLD clubs.

Mate I'm sorry I just can't agree with that. Kent has never been balanced about the broncos. I don't want to argue the point because it really doesn't matter, its just pretty common knowledge. I mean if you watch nrl360 enough Ikin gives him shit about it all the time

Just for grins, these are the halves that (according to zerotackle.com) are off contract this year..Ben Hampton has huge wraps on him, Moses Mbye is apparently good too...if you want a ready made one though...Jarrod Mullen is probably the best of the bunch.

If we get Bennett as coaching director, what's the odds of him bringing Mullen along? He's not the worst going around..

Five-eighth

Braith Anasta, Jack Bird, Wade Graham, Ben Hampton, Daniel Holdsworth, Ben Jones, Luke Kelly, Samisoni Langi, Jarrod Mullen, Ben Roberts, Kyle Stanley, Carlos Tuimavave, Cody Walker, Michael Witt

Halfback

Matt Beddow, Cameron Cullen, Michael Dobson, Josh Drinkwater, Toby Evans, Liam Foran, Beau Henry, Sam Irwin, Robert Lui, Penani Manumalealii, Moses Mbye, Josh McCrone, Matt Minto, Tyrone Roberts

Just for grins, these are the halves that (according to zerotackle.com) are off contract this year..Ben Hampton has huge wraps on him, Moses Mbye is apparently good too...if you want a ready made one though...Jarrod Mullen is probably the best of the bunch.

If we get Bennett as coaching director, what's the odds of him bringing Mullen along? He's not the worst going around..

Five-eighth

Braith Anasta, Jack Bird, Wade Graham, Ben Hampton, Daniel Holdsworth, Ben Jones, Luke Kelly, Samisoni Langi, Jarrod Mullen, Ben Roberts, Kyle Stanley, Carlos Tuimavave, Cody Walker, Michael Witt

Halfback

Matt Beddow, Cameron Cullen, Michael Dobson, Josh Drinkwater, Toby Evans, Liam Foran, Beau Henry, Sam Irwin, Robert Lui, Penani Manumalealii, Moses Mbye, Josh McCrone, Matt Minto, Tyrone Roberts

And lose the young halves we have? No thanks one of them will most likely be better for us than Mullen

And lose the young halves we have? No thanks one of them will most likely be better for us than Mullen

Of course, the assumption in my post is that we don't think Hunt, Nikorima and/or Strasser are ready.

Personally I think Nikorima might be, but a season or two playing in the halves in qcup might help him.

Of course, the assumption in my post is that we don't think Hunt, Nikorima and/or Strasser are ready.

Personally I think Nikorima might be, but a season or two playing in the halves in qcup might help him.

We have better young halves than Nikorima

We should make a play for Robert Lui and Luke Keary if they come up on the market. Being Queenslanders playing for the Broncos would be very appealing and they are capable halves. Lui is only a short term as he goes missing when it really matters but he can play well and Keary is a good young prospect.

We should make a play for Robert Lui and Luke Keary if they come up on the market. Being Queenslanders playing for the Broncos would be very appealing and they are capable halves. Lui is only a short term as he goes missing when it really matters but he can play well and Keary is a good young prospect.

According to the N(SW)RL Keary is a blue isn't he?

lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • Brocko
  • Battler
  • Foordy
  • Big Del
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  • bb_gun
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.