Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's really not the way to look at it. Who gives a **** if the Titans or Tigers struggle to lure names like Daly Cherry-Evans, they are small, mediocre clubs that nobody really gives a **** about, so if their coach isn't an attractive proposition frankly, who cares?

We are a much bigger club, and we should want to be on the field as well, not just off it. And I'm very much inclined to agree that Griffin's presence is becoming a major hindrance to our ambitions of succeeding on it.
So if that's the rationale , let's scrap the salary cap. The last thing we won't is to go on the coaches merry go round ala parramatta.
And just let me confirm . The inconsistent Gillet you refer to. Is that the one now playing origin?

So if that's the rationale , let's scrap the salary cap. The last thing we won't is to go on the coaches merry go round ala parramatta.
And just let me confirm . The inconsistent Gillet you refer to. Is that the one now playing origin?

So let me get this straight, rather than setting a standard of being the best, we should settle for the same ambitions of clubs that are smaller than us?

Can you also please explain how the salary cap at all relates to the quality of our coach, or why it should prevent us from being the best, because I'm really confused on those fronts too.

Last edited:
I think if we want to get back to being a powerhouse club, we are going to want powerhouse everything that isn't part of the cap, including the coach. Well, Griffin seems to be a powerhouse mumbler during post match interviews... but I don't know if that counts.

Certainly agree that it is hard to get a genuine star to leave their current club. We have missed the boat with so many stars although the junior players we have signed have often been very highly rated. Maybe our development has been off?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing today. The problem isn't that we can't sign big names, it's that the club is being portrayed, rightly or wrongly, to desperately need to sign them in the first place. In Broncos' history, the big recruits (eg, Lazarus) have only been the last pieces of an already impressive puzzle. And even then they were a rarity. It's not often that big names are lured to other clubs, and when they are it's often done by dangling a massive carrot. So I'm kind of glad that we haven't had to actually resort to that too often.

In reality, as you've suggested, the problem lies with our development. Our best days died with Connell, there is no doubt about it. Taking back our Logan heartland is a massive step, a positive step, but with the resources available to the Broncos it should be only one of many avenues to bring back the glory days of unmatched scouting and development.

So just to be clear, every thread is now a 'sack griffin/new coach' thread?

PS, with the increased salary cap, for the next few years it's going to be difficult, if not impossible, to wrestle loose big names that a club wants to keep. Because it has jumped so much so quickly, clubs are throwing silly money at players to retain them, and similarly to recruit them. In, say, five years time, the smarter clubs will have balanced their rosters best, not paid overs in a short-sighted bid for immediate success. It only hurts a club in the long term. If we miss out on DCE, which it looks like we will, it will best for us to use the money to retain our most promising juniors and front-end the contracts of our proven performers. The latter of which we are already doing I might add.

So let me get this straight, rather than setting a standard of being the best, we should settle for the same ambitions of clubs that are smaller than us?

Can you also please explain how the salary cap at all relates to the quality of our coach, or why it should prevent us from being the best, because I'm really confused on those fronts too.
Yes we are a strong club. But cannot manufacture a savior to save us from the lack of play makers or coaches that are available. Many on here promote change for changes sake. This IMO I a futile exercise. Unless of course you can unveil a supply of coaches and playmakers that no one knows about.
whilst the coach has the support of the playing group and there is no guaranteed better alternative available. It would be very easy to descend into the knee jerk coach replacing roller coaster . So to answer your question . Yes even the mighty broncos must bide their time and work as best they can with what we have and continue to develop from the bottom up as we always have. In relation to the salary cap. The article was saying we couldn't attract players because of our coaches position,ie lack of success in 2013 so that means that unsuccessful clubs can't attract elite players. So the salary cap is irrelevant . What attracted Maloney SBW and co to the roosters with a first year rookie coach in place. Surely there must be the same apprehension. Availability and $$$$. I'm not saying that things couldn't be better, but with all the lemmings cuing to throw themselves off the cliff after 12th in 2013 . Everyone just needs to breathe.

[MENTION=8377]Socnorb[/MENTION] yes I am living in nsw

So just to be clear, every thread is now a 'sack griffin/new coach' thread?

That appears to be the case. It seems no one will be happy until Griffin is gone.

I am not sure what went wrong with our junior recruitment but it certainly seemed to be lacking for 2 to 3 years but it is back under control and has been for a couple of years. We have what appears to be the best juniors coming through our 20s I have seen in a number of years, probably more than 2008.
The future looks very rosy but the present is a concern
I would not be surprised if the current problem goes back to recruitment under Cullen's reign

Last edited:
I'm completely fine with the media placing pressure on the club.

Of course there are times where expectations can be very unrealistic and that deserves to be dispelled, but the way I see it, it puts everything under the magnifying glass and those who are destined for success are able to withstand the heat and make the most of it. Those that can't, end up without a job.

Like I said, 2014 is going to be a positive step for the club moving forward. Either Griffen steps up and is able to lead his time into the finals, or he flops and we move on. Either way, I just don't want to see the club to bring in a Kevie Walters type and expect things to improve.

@Socnorb yes I am living in nsw
Well you must see that the prevailing opinion in the Sydney media is that the broncos are pretenders, salary cap rorters and given preferential treatment.

Well you must see that the prevailing opinion in the Sydney media is that the broncos are pretenders, salary cap rorters and given preferential treatment.

Don't forget we force people to say their dad is sick so they can play for us

We are also in charge of organising the NRL draw and because we are lazy bastards we just click "select all" in the Friday night column. Just a bunch of assholes we are...

We are also in charge of organising the NRL draw and because we are lazy bastards we just click "select all" in the Friday night column. Just a bunch of assholes we are...

Haha nice :)

I now have this image in my head of white going through the schedule

Friday... Friday... Fri ah **** it *select all* I'm gonna play golf

Hardly, never once have i seen mention of salary cap rorting or preferential treatment for that matter. This poor me attitude that the non queensland media is out to get everything to do with queensland is so ridiculous. Sure there may be bias, but there is no more bias in the sydney media then there is in the brisbane media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • GCBRONCO
  • Robboi_321
  • Ondi
  • Manofoneway
  • BroncosAlways
  • Mr Fourex
  • Bongo
  • FACTHUNT
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Redux
  • Santa
  • Strop
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Fozz
  • broncsgoat
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.