Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just want to throw it in there that some of hodges lapses in defence this year were due to him being on the same side as scott prince who he had to constantly cover for in defence

i just want to throw it in there that some of hodges lapses in defence this year were due to him being on the same side as scott prince who he had to constantly cover for in defence

Sometimes it did, other times it was poor decision making or just general lazyness like on the defensive tryline that really left the next defensive player in a tougher situation that widened holes.

Last edited:

People keep saying that, but Hodges has always been a shirt grabber and poor defensively like that. Well, always until the Origin period last year.

Same with Gillett, they struggle defending laterally.

Resign him, it's a no-brainer even if just for one season because it gives us time to nurture Copley or JYY into the role as they also come back from injury.

Remember too that the "$1.5 million" figure isn't necessarily a per-year amount. If I read it correct, Hodges only got an extension, so his portion is only a year's worth (2015), but Parker's was an 'upgrade', which may include an increased amount for this year (so 2014 - 2016). So that $1.5 mill could be for 1 year of Hodges & 3 years of Parker. It is also most likely that Parker's is front-ended (as I believe his last one was too), because we expected to be paying Milf this year. So we might be looking at Hodges @ $250k (well worth it) and Parker $500k/$400k/$350k. Very happy with that.

If all the team were like Parker and negotiated their own contracts, all the player manager's commissions could be redirected to actually strengthening the team, and paying each player that little bit more. Would never happen though.

That front-ended contract would be a very, very clever play considering the Milford wage we still have available for 2014. You should be in management Morkel.

Pfft, I hate people. People are idiots. I couldn't negotiate anything, I'd just end up telling everyone to go **** themselves ;)

As to players not using managers, do you reckon someone like Sandow could have negotiated a $550k contract by himself? Oh, actually, that sounds like a positive doesn't it. I could picture the meeting. "Mr Sandow, we a contract for you for a modest $300k. Or you can pull this lever - it will spit out one of four contracts. One is for half a million dollars. The others are for minimum wage. Choose wisel..<sandow pulls lever immediately>.

Pfft, I hate people. People are idiots. I couldn't negotiate anything, I'd just end up telling everyone to go **** themselves ;)

As to players not using managers, do you reckon someone like Sandow could have negotiated a $550k contract by himself? Oh, actually, that sounds like a positive doesn't it. I could picture the meeting. "Mr Sandow, we a contract for you for a modest $300k. Or you can pull this lever - it will spit out one of four contracts. One is for half a million dollars. The others are for minimum wage. Choose wisel..<sandow pulls lever immediately>.

Sandow: "hey, where are the flashing lights and free coffee?"

00113270-leadimage.jpg

We can give up the dream of Shaun Johnson at the Broncos, signed with the Warriors until 2017.

Source: http://m.thewarriors.com.au/news-display/Johnson secures long-term future and captaincy honour/90136

Player managers say clients are concerned the Broncos would appoint a new coach | News.com.au

OFF-contract NRL stars will keep avoiding the Brisbane Broncos due to concerns coach Anthony Griffin's position is unstable.

Daly Cherry-Evans is all but certain to extend his deal with the Manly Sea Eagles, robbing the Broncos of their desired long-term playmaker.

While Cameron Smith, who was heavily targeted by the Broncos, is on the verge of announcing he will finish his career in Melbourne.

These are players who would have taken unders to play for the Broncos a decade ago.

The Sunday Mail spoke to several player managers who admitted their clients were concerned the Broncos would be forced to appoint a new coach for next season.

The managers were unanimous; Brisbane's poor 2013 and doubts over Griffin's long term future were causing apprehension among the playing group.

The club's lack of playmakers and long-term vision was also raised as a roadblock by one Sydney-based manager who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

"They are just off with players at the moment. Players don't like going to clubs when they don't know who the coach will be next year," the agent said.

"I have a couple of players who are waiting to see how they fare in the opening half of the year before really considering the Broncos as an option."

Anthony Griffin is contracted until the end of the 2016 season but needs to progress deep into the finals this year to save his job.

Securing Smith or Cherry-Evans could have helped Griffin, whose team had their first hit out of the year against North Queensland last night.

The Broncos have reached out to Cherry-Evans' management through a third party to gauge his interest in returning to Queensland.

However, ex-Manly captain Paul Vautin told The Sunday Mail the 24-year-old would be Manly's next captain and could even captain Queensland.

"He will be a great captain of that club when Jamie (Lyon) gives it away," Vautin said.

"In a couple of years he will be Manly captain and he can captain that team for five to six years.

"Manly discovered him, they put him on the map.

"He's that good he could be the star of that club for another ten years.

"He showed the world on the World Cup tour how good of a player he is."

Manly is understood to be prepared to lose second rower Glenn Stewart to keep Cherry-Evans.

Cherry-Evans recently admitted that being made captain of Manly would help keep him on the northern beaches.

"Yes I would like to captain the side, and if that was offered it would help in terms of bargain power to keep me at the club," Cherry-Evans said.

The Broncos recruited well for this year bringing Ben Barba and Martin Kennedy north and Anthony Milford will make a major difference to their side from next season.

However, there remains significant salary cap space to lure a mega-star to Brisbane for 2015.

The problem remains, who will come.

Former Broncos captain Gorden Tallis raised concerns the Broncos were fast-becoming a wooden-spoon contender that players avoided.

"I can't sit silently and wait until the Broncos get like Parramatta where there are countless factions all working against each other," he wrote in his column late last year.

"This is the Brisbane Broncos. We are the strongest club in the NRL.

"I know the club is not looked at in the same way it was a few years ago. People tell me the Broncos are not what they used to be.

"Players used to dream to play for the Broncos. They don't anymore."

The list of off-contract marquees for next season is limited, headed by representative props Andrew Fifita and James Graham.

While Newcastle five-eighth Jarrod Mullen and Warriors halfback Shaun Johnson would add creativity although Milford will own the Broncos five-eighth position next year.

The Broncos could be forced to wait for a superstar until the 2016 season, with representative guns Jarryd Hayne, Kieran Foran, James Maloney, Sam Kasiano and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves off contract.

A host of young talent also comes off contract following the 2015 season, including Souths five-eighth Luke Keary and Gold Coast halves Albert Kelly and Aidan Sezer.

That anti-Brisbane write-up is exactly what most of us expected, and almost word-for-word predicted by a few people only days ago.

It will be nice when everyone who genuinely wish us to struggle have to eat their words.

Yep all that is is pure speculation under the cover of journalism. Though I would like the club to keep an eye on Keary.

Yep all that is is pure speculation under the cover of journalism. Though I would like the club to keep an eye on Keary.

But if you weren't allowed to speculate and call it journalism, what would chris Garry do?

Proof is really in the pudding though isn't it. The coaching situation has obviously played its part in our current predicament. Hook isn't a guy with a great playing record to look back on and doesn't seem to have great connections around League circles. He needs to be getting the most out of his players and be winning so he looks an attractive proposition for players to want to play under him.

Proof is really in the pudding though isn't it. The coaching situation has obviously played its part in our current predicament. Hook isn't a guy with a great playing record to look back on and doesn't seem to have great connections around League circles. He needs to be getting the most out of his players and be winning so he looks an attractive proposition for players to want to play under him.

I don't think the article is anti-brisbane i think it speaks a lot of truth. We do lack play makers, we have struggled signing big name players and we have a coach whose future is up in the air, what is so speculative about that?

Nearly all NRL coaches are under the pump. Cartwright, Stewart, green , Flanagan/ sharp, Price, Potter , Cleary, Anderson, Arthur . It could be argued that all of these guys could be gone 2015. So to single out griffin is anti brisbane.

Nearly all NRL coaches are under the pump. Cartwright, Stewart, green , Flanagan/ sharp, Price, Potter , Cleary, Anderson, Arthur . It could be argued that all of these guys could be gone 2015. So to single out griffin is anti brisbane.

Absolutely. Unfortunately anti brisbane sells papers

How is it singling us out? Broncos have a very proud history and are coming off their worst season ever, thats fact so obviously we will get more paper time. Not to mention the rumours about players not wanting to come here due to coaching unrest, this whole anti-brisbane anti-queensland conspiracy is nonsense.

Absolutely. Unfortunately anti brisbane sells papers

It is a Brisbane Paper and it is the truth so what is the issue? Why would the Courier Mail writers be writing about coaches from Sydney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Tim K
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Harry Sack
  • The True King
  • Broncosgirl
  • Behold
  • Fozz
  • broncoscope
  • sooticus
  • Johnny92
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.