Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's certainly strong on his feet and hard to bring down for such a "little man".
Good vision, good footwork, good support play and his defense is also not too shabby.
Would have liked to see a bit more of his kicking game, but how much can you really tell about a player in a 5 mins clip?

Cowboys just terminated Wayne Ulugia's contract due to off field dramas. What do you guys reckon should the Broncos look to sign him? He's a gun player just bad disipline.

We have already signed Vidot and Mills to fill the spots on the wing but Ulugia is a gun young player and showed some stuff for the Cowboys late last year. Would be a handy pickup for cheap.

If the dramas were bad enough for his contract to be terminated, then no.

Broncos should avoid signing those players, even if they are very talented..

Last edited:
Bet the Rabbits are pissed they signed Tuqiri now.

He addresses other clubs' weaknesses moreso than our own - if he can't play in the halves or at hooker it's not worth it.

Don't write it off, there's a relationship there with Woolf.

Last edited:
No Cookies | thetelegraph.com.au

COREY Parker and Justin Hodges will be handed new deals in a $1.5 million retention drive that will see Brisbane's new co-captains finish their careers at the club.Broncos officials have begun negotiations with Parker and Hodges three weeks after the pair replaced Sam Thaiday as part of a pre-season leadership shake-up.
The two Maroons stars are off contract at season's end and although they both turn 32 in May, Broncos management want them at Red Hill in 2015.
Talks are in the preliminary phase but Hodges will be retained for at least another 12 months, while Parker is tipped to sign an upgraded two-year deal until the end of 2016.
Brisbane operations chief Andrew Gee last night confirmed negotiations are under way and he hopes to have the Broncos' leadership alliance formally secured in time for next month's premiership kick-off.

"They are an integral part of our plans,'' Gee said. "It's been a hectic period over Christmas but I've had some preliminary talks with Corey and I'll be starting talks with Justin's manager.
"We're hoping to get it sorted before or early in the season. Hodgo and Corey are both Broncos men and we want them to finish their careers here. It's just a matter of coming to an agreement.''
The retention of Hodges and Parker would be another boost for the duo who have played a combined 491 NRL games since they came into top grade in 2000 and 2001 respectively.
A contract extension for Hodges may raise eyebrows given his history of serious injuries, including two ruptured achilles tendons, but Gee insists the Test centre is not a high-risk investment.
"Everyone is a risk when it comes to injuries,'' Gee said.

"You can only judge Justin by what he is doing and he's responded unbelievably. He's done everything asked of him and more.

"Justin has been great around the club. He has worked his butt off and you can see it on the paddock now. We'll take our time with him and he deserves our loyalty.''
Parker will make history by signing a new deal. A veteran of 277 NRL games, the ironman lock is on course to become the first Brisbane forward to reach 300, joining Darren Lockyer (355) as a Broncos triple centurion.
One of the few NRL stars without a manager, Parker will represent himself in negotiations and has no plans to test his value on the open market despite being in career-best form.
"I don't plan to go anywhere else,'' he said.
"I'm very fortunate to be at the Broncos for my 14th season now. It's been good to be able to play there and what's happened the last three weeks, it's just a blessing.
"I'm off contract at the moment, but I'm keen to sign on with the club.
"I don't need a manager. I am very candid with the club. I understand how it all works with the business side of things. If there is anyone who will sell my product, I think the best person is myself, which I am happy to do.''

Happy to sign Parker, no problems there.

Hodgo I'd only be looking to re-sign if his salary didn't impact on our cap too much. As it stands, we're not getting enough value out of him.

Hodgo I'd only be looking to re-sign if his salary didn't impact on our cap too much. As it stands, we're not getting enough value out of him.

Yep agree with that completely. Parker is a no brainer. With hodgo I believe is value around the club and some of the young guys like barba is invaluable and combine that with his on field performance and leadership you definitely want him around for another two years, but we don't get a lot of on field value out of him.

Like you have said BP either we his deal would have to not impact the cap too much

I'd say we're getting plenty of value out of him. He has injury troubles, yes, but when he was on the field in 2013 he was easily our best attacking player and the only one who could win games by himself. The proposed extension would be for one year, we're buttloads under the salary cap and there isn't a lot of big-money players coming off contract at the end of 2014 anyway.

Players Off Contract 2014 | NRL | Zero Tackle - Have a look. There's nobody there that we couldn't afford to sign if we retained Hodges, except for Smith who we seemed to have missed out on (maybe Jamie Lyon too but he's not a plausible recruit).

Hodgo may only average 16 games a year, but without him we are nowhere near as dangerous in attack. The only downside is he has some absolute shockers in defence every now and then.

As long as he's there for finals when we make it he's worth it.

Look, I like Hodgo plenty, he's a club legend after all but we have to be realistic here. He's coming off another serious achillies injury, one of the worst you can suffer and let's face it, isn't getting any younger.

Despite his form, I don't think we got our value out of him last season. He missed half the year and there were games there where he shouldn't have played or was outright outplayed (against LOLParra of all teams too). Considering he's supposed to be an elite player of this squad, I don't think we've really gotten our moneys worth in recent times.

No doubt I'll cop some flack for it because it's a controversial opinion. However, you've got to remember that this was the club that got rid of Lewis when they saw the writing on the wall - I don't think it's beneath us nor would it pan out to be another Bulla situation.

Not to mention, we're walking proof that those off-contract lists mean little in the scheme of things.

Last edited:
Would happily re-sign them both. Ideally I'd re-sign Hodges until the end of 2015 (At which point we'll re-evaluate and see if his body is up to another season or two), and I'd sign Parker until at least the end of 2016, maybe even 2017.

Parker seems like the sort of bloke who will play well into his 30's.

Hodges first part of the year wasn't particularly great. Agree with Pete that he was outplayed a bunch of times, and I think I once said he was doing more harm than good. Then the Origin period started, and from then on he was great in every match he played.

So overall, we can say he added more than Thaiday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • I bleed Maroon
  • barker
  • Foordy
  • cento
  • Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.