Broncos player retention

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
An article by Dan Koch in the Australian.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 14,00.html
Promising young centre Steve Michaels has been the target of a massive offer from the Bulldogs, but Henjak said he was hopeful of retaining the Gold Coast-born youngster.

Fellow products of Palm Beach-Currumbin State High School, prop Ben Hannant and Darius Boyd, are also seen as priority signings for Brisbane. Cullen is set to meet with their respective managers this week.

While there had been speculation linking tackling machine David Stagg with a move to the English Super League, Cullen was adamant the former Queensland Origin representative would remain in Brisbane next season.

That would rule out any chance of Brisbane making a play for Bulldogs former Test player Reni Maitua, whose management was desperately trying to find him a home at one of the three Queensland clubs.

Maitua was seen as a possible replacement for Stagg and retiring lock Tonie Carroll, however, Cullen said the club was focused on retaining its crop of youngsters rather than looking for big name talent from other clubs.

I think this last sentence is a good one. The Broncos bought more than usual at the end of last year, and this year I think they need to focus on retaining some of the existing talent that is developing.

I'm glad to see they're focussing on Michaels, Hannant, Boyd and Stagg.

Maitua isn't welcome.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Agree - and good news yes, but Given opinions in other threads seem to insist that Folau will play centre, I am resigned to losing Michaels.

What a shame.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
It's great that they are trying to retain these 4, but no mention of Ennis...that's just a little worrying.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
spoonbled said:
i'd only take him as a last resort.

Why? I think he's playing really well, and also giving opposition players the chance to do impersonations from Shakespearean Tragedies.

Jeza23

Jeza23

NRL Player
Mar 10, 2008
Ennis and Hannant should be top of the list, followed by either Boyd or Michaels. I would like to keep Staggy as well but we will have to wait and see what Ennis and Benny want to do

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Ennis Hannant and Boyd are the 3 i want retained no Matter what Boyd Is great for filling the Gaps Anywhere in the backline when needed

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Can't believe people don't care for Stagg. Probably the most underrated player in our side. If Dallas Johnson was offered to you, you'd take him, so why not Stagg? They are pretty much exactly the same.

G

Alec said:
Can't believe people don't care for Stagg. Probably the most underrated player in our side. If Dallas Johnson was offered to you, you'd take him, so why not Stagg? They are pretty much exactly the same.

Except one hurts with his tackles and one doesn't

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Meat77 said:
Alec said:

Yeah, and one hurts in attack (Stagg), and the other doesn't (Johnson). That's their only slight difference - Stagg is better in attack, Johnson is better in defense...but both of these things are only slight.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Meat77 said:
Alec said:

I think you mean "one gets hurt in his own tackles and one doesn't".

Woo look at me, I'm Dallas Johnson, and I'm a Dallas Cowboy. I think that's what I heard him say as he staggered off Lang Park in the first minute of Origin 3 last year.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
I Rate Stagg and would hate to see him go i just see the above 3 as more important

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I read in the Courier mail yesterday that Hannant said he was more likely to stay with Henjak being named coach. icon_thumbs_u

G

David Stagg is 1/10th the player Dallas Johnson is.

Origin III was the only time I've seen Johnson come off second best from one of his own tackles - he's certainly done more damage to others than himself. And he may not he much of a ball runner but is Stagg? Please.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Meat77 said:
David Stagg is 1/10th the player Dallas Johnson is.

Origin III was the only time I've seen Johnson come off second best from one of his own tackles - he's certainly done more damage to others than himself. And he may not he much of a ball runner but is Stagg? Please.

I'm still yet to see what everyone raves about with Johnson. I've never seen anyone he tackles look in great pain. He doesn't tackle any more effectively than Stagg from what I can see.

And he's not as versatile as Stagg.

I'm not saying Stagg's the greatest player in the history of man kind, he's a solid, reliable first grader, nothing more, nothing less. But so's Johnson.

G

I'm not saying Johnson is the best forward in the comp, I mean, he's no Danny Nutley...

But seriously, is Stagg ever going to play Origin again? No.

Johnson will be among the first picked

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Meat77 said:
I'm not saying Johnson is the best forward in the comp, I mean, he's no Danny Nutley...

[icon_lol1.

Meat77 said:
But seriously, is Stagg ever going to play Origin again? No.

Johnson will be among the first picked

That old Queensland loyalty to players who have been there, done that. Had Stagg's lone Origin appearance not been that embarrassing first game of 2006 where Willie Mason made himself look like a champion running at the little guys in the line, Stagg would've retained his spot.

And he'd probably still be there today.

Similarly with Ashley Harrison playing in a losing side on debut. All three are almost carbon copies of eachother. None will win you a game, none will lose you a game, but with all three you'll thank christ they were on your side if it was a war of attrition.

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • Seibs
  • maddo
  • Justwin
  • Manofoneway
  • Bish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.