Broncos player retention

G

Don't get me wrong about Stagg. If the Broncos can re-sign him for a nice price then great - he's a good clubman and handy player.

As QLDer says he's just not as good as others going around but not every Bronco can be an Australian player can they?

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Stagg is definitely just a solid, working first grader.

It all just comes down to the fact that guys like him are so necessary at every club. Having superstars in 8 or 9 positions would mean that we were either (a) cheating or (b) had f**k-all depth.

Great to hear that he has re-signed. He has been a great servant to our club already imo, playing very competently in a whole host of positions. Along with his defence, he has really honed his attacking skills too imo - great support player, chases kicks VERY well (he's nearly always the first or second one there to make the tackle or even nab a try) and is an all-round honest performer imo.

ethos

ethos

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
QUEENSLANDER said:
Spud said:
Stagg is a good re-signing. I think he has the highest two tackle counts for individual games in the history of the NRL. He can also score a few tries over the course of the year.

If a lock or second rower is injured during Origin, QLD would be mad not to pick him. I can't believe the amount of criticism he gets.

Stagg is an adequate club player at best. He is out of his depth in origin. If a 2nd rower or lock is injured during origin, we can just get another 2nd rower or lock. We have TC, Johnson, costigan and harrison (and luck i believe is a qlder) all ahead of him in terms of locks then we have crocker, myles, thaiday, parker, webb all able to play 2nd row, so i cant see a need for stagg... ever

The thing is though, Stagg is more versatile than the players you mentioned.

I can definitely see him being selected on the bench in Origin to take Berrigan's role of backrower and outside back if need be.

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
QUEENSLANDER said:
Spud said:
Stagg is a good re-signing. I think he has the highest two tackle counts for individual games in the history of the NRL. He can also score a few tries over the course of the year.

If a lock or second rower is injured during Origin, QLD would be mad not to pick him. I can't believe the amount of criticism he gets.

Stagg is an adequate club player at best. He is out of his depth in origin. If a 2nd rower or lock is injured during origin, we can just get another 2nd rower or lock. We have TC, Johnson, costigan and harrison (and luck i believe is a qlder) all ahead of him in terms of locks then we have crocker, myles, thaiday, parker, webb all able to play 2nd row, so i cant see a need for stagg... ever

Despite the fact I agree with you that there are others ahead of Stagg, I simply don't rate Costigan above him. TC, Johnson and Harrison are givens, though.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
mick! said:
QUEENSLANDER said:
Spud said:

Despite the fact I agree with you that there are others ahead of Stagg, I simply don't rate Costigan above him. TC, Johnson and Harrison are givens, though.

On the topic of locks, I dont get to see many warriors games. How is Luck going? I have him in my virtual nrl team and he racks up heaps of points, how would he go in origin?

S

Spud

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
QUEENSLANDER said:
mick! said:
QUEENSLANDER said:
Spud said:

On the topic of locks, I dont get to see many warriors games. How is Luck going? I have him in my virtual nrl team and he racks up heaps of points, how would he go in origin?

He defends all game, he doesn't seem to make those powerful runs or anything though. You could say he is similar to Johnson, since he doesn't even get those usual lock/2nd row tries like Stagg, Laffranchi or a John Sutton.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Spud said:
He defends all game, he doesn't seem o make thos powerful runs or anything though. You could say he is similar to Johnson.

And Stagg.

ethos

ethos

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I reckon Luck's running game is better than Johnson and Stagg. For starters he's a bit bigger and can offload.

If I remember correctly he also was 18th man for a game last year, so he'd be pretty damn close to selection.

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Frank the Tank said:
How can any of you say that Stagg offers more than Johnson in attack? Johnson might not have much, but Stagg has absolutely nothing. The only tries he gets are ones where someone hands him the ball and he just has to put it down.

Ashley Harrison just seems to be one of those players that is destined to be overlooked for State of Origin time and time again unfortunately. He's a fantastic player and has really stepped up at the Titans. He was great for the Broncos and was a player that Bennett never shouldve let go (among the other few dozen). To even suggest that Stagg is on the same level as him is ludicrous.

FFS. Here's a salary cap, here's 12 rep players - keep them all :roll:

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Because some of us understand that contribution in attack isn't all about making breaks and breaking tackles, or even about throwing the last pass for a try. Some of us understand that it's just as important to have someone who understands their role in attack and executes it to perfection to let the playmakers do their job.

Sadly numbskulls like Frank seem to think that every player has to be a Darren Lockyer, Justin Hodges, Sonny Bill Williams or Andrew Johns with the ball in hand.

Unlike Johnson, Stagg isn't simply a battering ram. He has deft use of the football and involves himself effectively no matter what position he's playing.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I have never read anywhere that Stagg has re-signed... has anyone got a link to the article. if he has re-signed i think that it is a very handy re-signing.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Coxy said:
Because some of us understand that contribution in attack isn't all about making breaks and breaking tackles, or even about throwing the last pass for a try. Some of us understand that it's just as important to have someone who understands their role in attack and executes it to perfection to let the playmakers do their job.

Sadly numbskulls like Frank seem to think that every player has to be a Darren Lockyer, Justin Hodges, Sonny Bill Williams or Andrew Johns with the ball in hand.

Unlike Johnson, Stagg isn't simply a battering ram. He has deft use of the football and involves himself effectively no matter what position he's playing.

It seems however that many think that Folau in the centres is just that, and what we need in the centres, rather than a real finisher on the wing - and it possibly looks like it will be at the cost of not retaining Michaels.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Frank the Tank said:
Coxy said:
Just when Frank is starting to think Coxy is ok you go and say something stupid like this [icon_non

Frank doesn't think every player has to be darren lockyer in attack. they just have to have more attacking prowess than a piece of piece of manure sitting on a footpath.

Awww, did I hurt Frank's feelings?

Stagg is a far better attacking player than Clifford Manua, I don't know what you're talking about! :P

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
[/b]
Frank the Tank said:
Coxy said:
Just when Frank is starting to think Coxy is ok you go and say something stupid like this [icon_non

Frank doesn't think every player has to be darren lockyer in attack. they just have to have more attacking prowess than a piece of piece of manure sitting on a footpath.

1. If you really think Stagg is THAT useless, you have NFI.
2. Again, here's a salary cap - make sure you recruit and retain those with plenty of attacking prowess, sting in defence and DEFINITELY no solid workhorses, because they're just useless. F**ks me how you can have 30 guys on $300k/year, but you obviously know a way to do it.
3. Hunt, Stagg, Ennis... who else does Frank hate? The way mick! sees it, it's probably only a matter of time before Stu and Anthony jump to the Titans or Storm.

R

ronnyd

QCup Player
Mar 14, 2008
Coxy said:

Since when do you put SBW in that kind of elite company???

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I don't, but Frank and many others do. Just trying to use an argument that will be understood [icon_wink

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
my source tells me that Boyd is out of favour at red hill and could end up at the Storm. i hope thats not true because this season i am really becoming a Boyd fan.

Active Now

• whykickamoocow
  • mitch222
  • Harry Sack
  • FACTHUNT
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • Santa
  • Allo
  • Waynesaurus
  • BooKhaki
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Foordy
  • Tim K
  • IceWorks
  • Bucking Beads
  • Cavalo
  • BroncosAlways
  • pennywisealfie
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.