Broncos player retention

G

Perhaps - he may have played a couple more games ala Casey McGuire and done bugger all in those too.

Stagg's a bit like Jamie Siddons or Jimmy Maher in cricket - solid performer who'll never be anything at the top level

Preparing to be flamed by the Jimmy Maher supporters now...

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
1. Hannant
2. Stagg

3. Ennis
4. boyd

5. michaels

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Meat77 said:
David Stagg is 1/10th the player Dallas Johnson is.

If that were true, than Stagg would have to be somewhere around Under 12s level.

Honestly, there is nothing between those guys. They are both tough, reliable workhorses. Equal in almost every way. Just because Johnson is playing Origin doesn't make him better.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Stagg really needs to add another element to his game IMO.

All he's got at the moment is the ability to make a lot of tackles. That's great, but as Meat said he never seems to drive people back in tackles or anything, it's just a plain tackle.

His metre gaining ability is non existent.

His ball playing ability isn't even that good, i'd say Thaiday and Hannant have better ability in that department than Stagg.

He's a grafter, and he's a decent player to have in the team, but i wouldn't be knocking down walls to re-sign him considering some of the other people off contract.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
As a number of us have posted for a while, and apart from his ordinary performance (IMO) last week - Stagg is the versatile workhorse every team needs.

When he's on his game, his tackles count, he can run the ball, and he can put players into gaps.

K

king_johns

NYC Player
Mar 4, 2008
Alec said:
Meat77 said:
David Stagg is 1/10th the player Dallas Johnson is.

If that were true, than Stagg would have to be somewhere around Under 12s level.

Honestly, there is nothing between those guys. They are both tough, reliable workhorses. Equal in almost every way. Just because Johnson is playing Origin doesn't make him better.

One thing people seem to be missing here is the fact that stagg is a much better reader of the defence then dallas Johnson. Also dallas johnson never makes those try saving tackles that stagg does week in week out, he only ever makes tackles for people that run straight towards him. But that doesn't matter johnson hits harder. Stagg has recently had two shouldar reconstructions. His power in defence is only getting better every game. I still remember on his debut match stagg picking up Matt Utai and smashing the crap out of him.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Meat77 said:
I'm not saying Johnson is the best forward in the comp, I mean, he's no Danny Nutley...

But seriously, is Stagg ever going to play Origin again? No.

Johnson will be among the first picked

Michael Devere didn't play too many State of Origin's in his career, do you think he would look out of place in our backline? Neither did Terry Matterson, that must make him a crap player too, seriously there have been plenty of quality players who didn't make it in the rep scene I would gladly have in our current side.

And as far as the calls of his only ability is to make a lot of tackles go, your really not looking at the strength's in all areas of his game but thats not surprising because rarely does a player like Stagg get the recognition he deserves. The Broncos have thrown him into a wide range of positions and he has handled himself very well when we have called upon him to play there, be it on the wings, in the centres, at 5/8th, at hooker, in the second row or lock and having a player capable of shifting into those positions as a match goes by is extremely handy, his job in the side is far more then just making tackles.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
GCBRONCO said:
Michael Devere didn't play too many State of Origin's in his career, do you think he would look out of place in our backline? Neither did Terry Matterson, that must make him a crap player too, seriously there have been plenty of quality players who didn't make it in the rep scene I would gladly have in our current side.

Yeah but Devere and Matterson were punished by the NSW selectors for playing for a Qld club.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Flutterby said:
GCBRONCO said:

Yeah but Devere and Matterson were punished by the NSW selectors for playing for a Qld club.

And if a fresh young Nathan Blacklock was on offer would you turn him down? Rep status isn't the end all and be all, I've seen plenty of duds play rep football too.

D

Dave

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Gee I reckon Reni Maitua would be an awesome signing for use - great in defence and would provide another real attacking option at lock. If he is desperate to get to Qld I reckon we could sign him fairly cheaply and he would be a great addition to our side. To have Hunt, Locky, Wallace, Maitua and Ennis/Marsh in key roles would be amazing for the club

K

king_johns

NYC Player
Mar 4, 2008
Dave said:
Gee I reckon Reni Maitua would be an awesome signing for use - great in defence and would provide another real attacking option at lock. If he is desperate to get to Qld I reckon we could sign him fairly cheaply and he would be a great addition to our side. To have Hunt, Locky, Wallace, Maitua and Ennis/Marsh in key roles would be amazing for the club

Well that is obviously not going to happen is it now that stagg has signed. By the sounds of it if stagg was going to leave maitua was going to play lock so that leaves me with the assumption that stagg will play lock next year.

D

Dave

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Either suits me - I reckon we would have got plenty out of Maitua in attack but Staggy rocks and will do me just fine. I am very pleased he is staying put

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I heavilly prefer Stagg to Maitua - the cost, the personality (as far as I can tell) and he isn't that much worse than him anyway.

Russo

Russo

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Gee we love to bash our players don't we :roll: :roll:

Stagg has the ability to play in the forwards and any number of positions in the backline, currently filling in at number 6 with plenty of aplomb, and he makes 40+ tackles a match to boot. No his tackles mightn't hurt but usually they stick and bring the player down (excluding Harrison last week). He also an 80 minute footballer.

I know for a fact that many of the broncos sidejust love having him in the side for all of the above reasons and he is a top bloke to boot. He won't be going anywhere as he and Tamika are Qlders and will want to stay near family with there own family on the way.

As for the others, Hannant is the number one priority over all of them Stagg included, then for mine Boyd then Stagg then Ennis and Michaels lastly, but hopefully all 5 stay.

K

Kee

QCup Player
Mar 5, 2008
[eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi

Love Staggie. icon_thumbs_u Hope we keep all our players we have now.Sign them up Bruno before they get away and come back to bite us big time.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Coxy said:
Meat77 said:
Alec said:
Can't believe people don't care for Stagg. Probably the most underrated player in our side. If Dallas Johnson was offered to you, you'd take him, so why not Stagg? They are pretty much exactly the same.

Except one hurts with his tackles and one doesn't

I think you mean "one gets hurt in his own tackles and one doesn't".

Woo look at me, I'm Dallas Johnson, and I'm a Dallas Cowboy. I think that's what I heard him say as he staggered off Lang Park in the first minute of Origin 3 last year.

Yet you fail to mention he came back later to make a shitload of tackles. Hes one tough bastard.

S

Spud

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Stagg is a good re-signing. I think he has the highest two tackle counts for individual games in the history of the NRL. He can also score a few tries over the course of the year.

If a lock or second rower is injured during Origin, QLD would be mad not to pick him. I can't believe the amount of criticism he gets.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Spud said:
Stagg is a good re-signing. I think he has the highest two tackle counts for individual games in the history of the NRL. He can also score a few tries over the course of the year.

If a lock or second rower is injured during Origin, QLD would be mad not to pick him. I can't believe the amount of criticism he gets.

Stagg is an adequate club player at best. He is out of his depth in origin. If a 2nd rower or lock is injured during origin, we can just get another 2nd rower or lock. We have TC, Johnson, costigan and harrison (and luck i believe is a qlder) all ahead of him in terms of locks then we have crocker, myles, thaiday, parker, webb all able to play 2nd row, so i cant see a need for stagg... ever

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Waynesaurus
  • FACTHUNT
  • Battler
  • Mr Fourex
  • Harry Sack
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Allo
  • whykickamoocow
  • mitch222
  • Fitzy
  • Santa
  • BooKhaki
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Foordy
  • Tim K
  • IceWorks
  • Bucking Beads
  • Cavalo
  • BroncosAlways
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.