Broncos player retention

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Ennis will eventually be better than Priddis ever was, as long as he gets a good injury free run. Mark my words. icon_thumbs_u

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Alec said:
Ennis will eventually be better than Priddis ever was, as long as he gets a good injury free run. Mark my words. icon_thumbs_u

Wow! That is bold Priddis was an amazing hooker who was a big part of our 2000 success and probably the biggest part of the Panthers 2003 success, he defends superbly and is such a smart player with the ball in hand. Ennis though talented hasn't really strung more than 3 or 4 really good games together in first grade, sure he is talented and may very well be as good as you keep saying but to this point I have seen nothing from him to suggest he will be better than Priddis let alone your previous statement about Cam Smith.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
FCB BB AKA MB said:
Alec said:

Wow! That is bold Priddis was an amazing hooker who was a big part of our 2000 success and probably the biggest part of the Panthers 2003 success, he defends superbly and is such a smart player with the ball in hand. Ennis though talented hasn't really strung more than 3 or 4 really good games together in first grade, sure he is talented and may very well be as good as you keep saying but to this point I have seen nothing from him to suggest he will be better than Priddis let alone your previous statement about Cam Smith.

I've seen what he can offer, and it's more than Priddis. I rate players on how much they can bring to their side, not by how good a form they are in. That's the worst way to rate players IMHO.

Ennis offers everything Priddis does, but unlike Priddis he is also a playmaker/organiser/play kicker, which IMO are all important parts of todays team structure. All he needs to do is work a bit on his passing, and he'll be great.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
The Rock said:
[quote="FCB BB AKA MB":3shzq3pa]
Alec said:

sure he is talented and may very well be as good as you keep saying but to this point I have seen nothing from him to suggest he will be better than Priddis let alone your previous statement about Cam Smith.

Ya reckon? I don't know man, his last few games have shown what he is capable of. He has absolutely carved up in the past 2 games, and if he keeps this sort of form up then he'll be no doubt be as good or better than Priddis was.

Alec's statement is certaintly quite bold I agree, I'd don't know what crystal ball she is looking into but I do agree with Alec that Ennis is more than capable of being more valuable than Priddis, provided that he can keep up his great form.[/quote:3shzq3pa]

As I said he has the talent but he to this point (and injuries have not helped him at all) he hasn't strung a month of very good performances together in his career Priddis has strung seasons of good ones together and has 2 premierships and a Clive Churchill medal where he created 2 of the 3 Penny tries by himself, potential to be as good sure why not but he has a lot of performances to go before I put him in the same boat as Smith, Buderus, Farah.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
FCB BB AKA MB said:
[quote="The Rock":1g6k3qbu][quote="FCB BB AKA MB":1g6k3qbu]
Alec said:

sure he is talented and may very well be as good as you keep saying but to this point I have seen nothing from him to suggest he will be better than Priddis let alone your previous statement about Cam Smith.

Ya reckon? I don't know man, his last few games have shown what he is capable of. He has absolutely carved up in the past 2 games, and if he keeps this sort of form up then he'll be no doubt be as good or better than Priddis was.

Alec's statement is certaintly quite bold I agree, I'd don't know what crystal ball she is looking into but I do agree with Alec that Ennis is more than capable of being more valuable than Priddis, provided that he can keep up his great form.[/quote:1g6k3qbu]

As I said he has the talent but he to this point (and injuries have not helped him at all) he hasn't strung a month of very good performances together in his career Priddis has strung seasons of good ones together and has 2 premierships and a Clive Churchill medal where he created 2 of the 3 Penny tries by himself, potential to be as good sure why not but he has a lot of performances to go before I put him in the same boat as Smith, Buderus, Farah.[/quote:1g6k3qbu]

That's the point - and at long last, he is getting the opportunities to display it, and improve.

I'll take Ennis over any hooker ATM, except Smith, but I still maintain that Ennis will come very close to Smith's level in the not too distant future.

B

broncoangel

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Hannant and Ennis are MUST signings, with Stagg not far behind. Not sure how last nights outcome will effect Michaels, but I would love him to continue with the broncos.

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I too would like to see Steve continue, but not at all confident really.

Hodges/Folau in the centres still leaves Kemp, Boyd and Robinson to fight out the remaining wing spots.

Much more important for us to keep Hannant, Ennis and Stagg imo.

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
In his prime, Priddis was one of the best and most under-rated hookers of the past 15 years imo.

Now, on the other hand... I'd rate Ennis easily as one of the top 3 form hookers of the comp. He still hasn't totally proved consistency after a big injury last year and a few great games this year, so it's a "wait and see" proposition IMO. A lot of players have strung together half a dozen good games and not gone on with it. I hope Mick does.

B

bob the Smasher

QCup Player
Mar 16, 2008
We will suffer a lot if we lose Ennis, I know that much. He and Hannant should be our top signings.

I rate PJ as well, but Ennis is younger and improving. PJ is probably as good now as he is ever going to be.

If we lose Ennis we may have to make a play for smith, which will drain a lot out of the salary cap.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
bob the Smasher said:
We will suffer a lot if we lose Ennis, I know that much. He and Hannant should be our top signings.

I rate PJ as well, but Ennis is younger and improving. PJ is probably as good now as he is ever going to be.

If we lose Ennis we may have to make a play for smith, which will drain a lot out of the salary cap.

Agreed. Imo, we'll lose Ennis if $$$$ are less important than geography.

If he keeps improving - and I'm sure he will, I am equally sure the club will offer him top dollars to stay.

As for PJ, I reckon he is the ideal utility we need, able to cover 9, 7 & 6. We need Marsh on the bench imo.

I also can't see Hannant leaving.

With Folau here, I am resigned to losing at least Michaels, and probably Hewitt (why did we sign him anyway?)

Then there's the issue of wingers, assuming Hunt returns and stays at FB and Lockyer plays next year: Boyd, Kemp and Robinson, all of whom are starting to show class.

Damn... [icon_shru

B

bob the Smasher

QCup Player
Mar 16, 2008
When locky retires, I think Hunt should move to 5/8, boyd to fb.

Really if we can focus on squad retention, no need to even enter the market unless someone leaves of course.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
bob the Smasher said:
When locky retites, I think Hunt should move to 5/8, boyd to fb.

Really if we can focus on squad retention, no need to even enter the market unless someone leaves of course.

Agreed. I've been annoying people all last year with proposal for Hunt to 6 and Boyd to FB - a great combo I reckon.

Trouble is, Lockyer looks like playing next year (which is great) but that means someone has to go in '09 with Folau coming here.

Assuming we spend big on keeping Ennis and Hannant, that leaves: Boyd, Michaels, Robinson, Hewitt and Kemp.

One at least of them will probably have to go.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
If we retain Wallace and Ennis, Hunt won't have to do much playmaking at all at 5/8th. He'd more usefull as just a running 5/8th, which is kinda what he's doing now. Except he'd definitely get more ball at second receiver.

P

Phuzzlecash

BRL Player
Mar 6, 2008
Frank the Tank said:
[quote="bob the Smasher":2cxjdss9]When locky retites, I think Hunt should move to 5/8, boyd to fb.

Hunt has to learn to pass and kick before he could even think about moving to 5/8th. Frank sees Hunt finishing his career at Lock.[/quote:2cxjdss9]
Frank is right on this occasion. Hunt's passing and kicking game would leave a lot to be desired from 5/8th. Maybe he'll have improved enough by 2010 - but I think we'll be needing to either bring in some more outside talent, or develop a junior to fill Locyker's boots.

QCup Player
Mar 5, 2008
Frank the Tank said:
[quote="bob the Smasher":p4rnp5ve]When locky retites, I think Hunt should move to 5/8, boyd to fb.

Hunt has to learn to pass and kick before he could even think about moving to 5/8th. Frank sees Hunt finishing his career at Lock.[/quote:p4rnp5ve]

Hunt is alright at passing and kicking, but i do agree with you, a move would require him to be a hell of alot better.

K

Kee

QCup Player
Mar 5, 2008
One of the worst moves the Broncos ever made was allowing Luke Priddis to walk out of that club.
He is the only player I have ever heard WB say was the one player he most regretted losing at our club.
I hope they remember and do everything in their power to keep Ennis or we will have history repeating itself all over

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
666 said:
Frank the Tank said:
[quote="bob the Smasher":2psye6yw]When locky retites, I think Hunt should move to 5/8, boyd to fb.

Hunt has to learn to pass and kick before he could even think about moving to 5/8th. Frank sees Hunt finishing his career at Lock.

Hunt is alright at passing and kicking, but i do agree with you, a move would require him to be a hell of alot better.[/quote:2psye6yw]

Hunt's passing is hopeless for someone people claim is a play maker. He needs massive work on it at this stage he is just a line runner. As for his kicking he rarely does it but has a long kick in his arsenal. I think Hunt should end up as a lock as he gets heavier later in his career, and uses short passes which he is far more effective at and runs more than play makes which is the type of player he seems to be.

Unread

Active Now

• eggstar10
  • Rowdy124
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.