Broncos player retention

QCup Player
Mar 5, 2008
Nashy said:
In the paper today Michaels is quoted as saying he will stay at the Broncos next year, and will be happy to move to th wing.

link?

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
He can always sign with the Cowboys. They seem to have Titanitis only with centres instead of wingers.

Graham, Harris, Tonga, Henry and Farrar. Think they need anymore? [icon_lol1.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Good news, if Michaels does want to stay. He's such a better winger than centre. And I disagree abotu him not getting a FG spot in any other side but us. He'd get it easilly,but only on the wing. Don't think any smart team would really want to use him at centre.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Ok tething about michaels stayin was in the sunday mail, howeve i can find it on the website

B

badav

BRL Player
Apr 12, 2008
FCB BB AKA MB said:
badav said:
[quote="FCB BB AKA MB":22mt76lc]WB doesn't deserve Priddis after he threw him away once before, without doubt the dumbest decision he has ever made in terms of cutting/recruiting players. We haven't had a consistent option at 9 since he left until Ennis and Marsh started firing for us this year (Berrigan was good there but he only really played there for the last 6 weeks of 2006).

oh god not more wanking over luke priddis. the guy got a far better offer from penrith and took it. good on him. i hardly see how that means that wayne bennet threw him away.

We didn't give him a new offer basically at all. Wayne Bennett has admitted it was a huge mistake since, we had a bunch of guys off contract and couldn't keep all of them and he decided our hooker was expendable and got it very wrong.[/quote:22mt76lc]

You don't have a very good memory of what went on do you?
Thank god we are not a club that pays overs for players. If you want me to refresh your memory a little, Souths (a club notorious for paying players overs) laughed him off when he outlined his asking price (plus other requirements).

To be honest i think anyone that still talks about priddis and how letting him go was a mistake has no clue. He left the club 6 years ago and we've won a premiership and made the finals every year without him since then so whats the big deal anyway.

B

badav

BRL Player
Apr 12, 2008
Jeza23 said:
The ironic thing about Luke Priddis is that Penrith are doing the same thing to him! Not offering him a new contract when clearly he is there best option in the hooker role

Penrith have plenty of talented players in their lower grade teams waiting for a crack at first grade. Hence the cleanout of many of the older/experienced players.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
badav said:
FCB BB AKA MB said:
badav said:
[quote="FCB BB AKA MB":1jb6kz9s]WB doesn't deserve Priddis after he threw him away once before, without doubt the dumbest decision he has ever made in terms of cutting/recruiting players. We haven't had a consistent option at 9 since he left until Ennis and Marsh started firing for us this year (Berrigan was good there but he only really played there for the last 6 weeks of 2006).

oh god not more wanking over luke priddis. the guy got a far better offer from penrith and took it. good on him. i hardly see how that means that wayne bennet threw him away.

We didn't give him a new offer basically at all. Wayne Bennett has admitted it was a huge mistake since, we had a bunch of guys off contract and couldn't keep all of them and he decided our hooker was expendable and got it very wrong.

You don't have a very good memory of what went on do you?
Thank god we are not a club that pays overs for players. If you want me to refresh your memory a little, Souths (a club notorious for paying players overs) laughed him off when he outlined his asking price (plus other requirements).

To be honest i think anyone that still talks about priddis and how letting him go was a mistake has no clue. He left the club 6 years ago and we've won a premiership and made the finals every year without him since then so whats the big deal anyway.[/quote:1jb6kz9s]

Since he left (outside of 6 weeks from Berrigan) we have not had a decent long term option in a role vital to winning premierships). The players you have to spend bigger dollars on are generally 1,6,7,9 and he was far more important than resigning all the other guys we had come off contract. Bennett himself regrets it ffs, Priddis was so good for us and we should have given him enough for him to stay he was even better for the 3 or 4 years after he left at Penrith when we had a combination of average players trying to fill our hooking void. I can understand letting Prince go due to his injuries but to let Priddis basically walk out without a fight was terrible and until now we haven't had consistent options in the no.9

QCup Player
Mar 5, 2008
FCB BB AKA MB said:
Since he left (outside of 6 weeks from Berrigan) we have not had a decent long term option in a role vital to winning premierships). The players you have to spend bigger dollars on are generally 1,6,7,9 and he was far more important than resigning all the other guys we had come off contract. Bennett himself regrets it ffs, Priddis was so good for us and we should have given him enough for him to stay he was even better for the 3 or 4 years after he left at Penrith when we had a combination of average players trying to fill our hooking void. I can understand letting Prince go due to his injuries but to let Priddis basically walk out without a fight was terrible and until now we haven't had consistent options in the no.9

we had Ennis for a few of those years, only he got injured. That aside if we forked out what he was after chances are we would have lost other players and had issues in other positions.

I have also heard Priddis say leaving brisbane for more money was one of his biggest regrets.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
666 said:
FCB BB AKA MB said:

we had Ennis for a few of those years, only he got injured. That aside if we forked out what he was after chances are we would have lost other players and had issues in other positions.

I have also heard Priddis say leaving brisbane for more money was one of his biggest regrets.

Absolutely there will always be what ifs in these situations from all parties. Meyers and Carlaw ended up beign duds soon after they got new contracts for instance but anyway Priddis didn't really get an offer from us but clearly he should have tried harder like the Broncos should have for him to stay.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Yeas - all of that.

But what counts for me is the here and now - and that means Priddis is 31, and we have Ennis (24) playing the house down, so in my opinionwe fork out and re-sign Ennis.

The discussion about Priddis and the past is just that - dead, gone and buried.

As for Michaels, I am one of his biggest fans, and reckon he's as good a centre as winger.

Thing is, we have a wealth of wingers, and I reckon the club will pair Folau with Hodges in the centres, and then there's Moon who played so well when Michaels got hurt.

So who goes:

Michaels, Kemp, Robinson, Boyd, Moon, Hewitt ...?

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
michaels has an option in his current deal and hes going to take it.....

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
It's sad but we will lose some of those guys. I like Kemp, Michaels, Moon and Robinson but they might be better off moving clubs to further their careers.

L

levikade

NYC Player
Mar 14, 2008
nopatience101 said:

indeed, sunday tele mentioned it today. michaels says he is happy to play on the wing with falou centre if its best for the team.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
levikade said:
nopatience101 said:

indeed, sunday tele mentioned it today. michaels says he is happy to play on the wing with falou centre if its best for the team.

That is good news - but I'm also sure Boyd, Robinson and Kemp are also happy to play on the wing.

Predicament.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
One interesting thing about options is that they're usually both ways. Both parties have to agree to activate the option. Though that said I don't see why the Broncos wouldn't!

P

Prince Langer

NYC Player
Mar 13, 2008
Not necessarily coxy. The option Michaels has may be that he is on say $100K a year for 3 years and after 2 he can leave if he is not happy or gets offered a bigger contract. If this is the option and he decided to stay, the Broncos would have to honour this contract.

But who really knows what the players have in their contracts. We can only go off what we hear in the media and who really believes everything they read.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Well yeah, but nothing's stopping the Broncos (or any club) releasing a player. However, if the player doesn't want a release they probably can demand being paid out, which still counts on the salary cap so it's counterproductive.

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • Santa
  • Scdeac
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Culhwch
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.