Broncos positivity thread

NSW stables

NRL Player
Love the positivity, How do you see our pack rotating? Haas/Lodge starting props with Asiata starting 13 or Pangai? Pangai/Carrigan/Fleg off the bench? Ricki starting over Oates now with his latest injury?
Starting the season I wouldn't mind trialling TPJ starting at 13 and just being given the direction to go all out for 25 mins (give or take). Having him and our starting props going at 100%, softening up the opposition's middle and then having asiata finishing the game at 13, taking advantage of the softened middle with a bit of ball play could work.

TPJ could then return for his second stint back in at prop (i think he is best as a middle forward) or 2nd row (giving respite to riki or oates who may take some time to adjust to playing 80 mins at 2nd row in first grade)

kooly87

NRL Player
Starting the season I wouldn't mind trialling TPJ starting at 13 and just being given the direction to go all out for 25 mins (give or take). Having him and our starting props going at 100%, softening up the opposition's middle and then having asiata finishing the game at 13, taking advantage of the softened middle with a bit of ball play could work.

TPJ could then return for his second stint back in at prop (i think he is best as a middle forward) or 2nd row (giving respite to riki or oates who may take some time to adjust to playing 80 mins at 2nd row in first grade)
I don't see Riki or Oates playing 80 in the Back Row from Round 1 to be honest. TPJ seems far more likely to feature there in a rotation I'd imagine.

Oates off the Bench to come on as an Edge Forward by far makes the most sense. He could spell TPJ who could return as either a Middle or Edge Forward and he'd be coming on after the initial sting is removed from the game and he'd ideally be able to run at fatiguing Edge Forwards and Halves which is surely the whole point of moving him to an Edge Forward role in the first place.

He'd also act as insurance in the event we lost an Outside Back during the game, freeing us up to run a Bench with 2 x Middle Forwards, Oates as Edge/Emergency Outside back coverage and a Utility to spell Turpin.

So something like:

8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn
12. TPJ
13. Carrigan

14. Utility
15. Flegler
16. Bullemor/Kennedy
17. Oates

Last edited:

Sproj

International Captain
Staff
If we get Mann, I’ll be feeling far more positive. While Asiata and Copley aren’t the guys I would have gone for, they are what we need, solid first graders who aren’t going to break the bank account, well hopefully not anyway. Now, bring in Capewell as well and I’m fully on board.

theshed

Return of the Mac
If we get Mann, I’ll be feeling far more positive. While Asiata and Copley aren’t the guys I would have gone for, they are what we need, solid first graders who aren’t going to break the bank account, well hopefully not anyway. Now, bring in Capewell as well and I’m fully on board.
Yeah, it’s a bunch of reasonably priced honest and hard working players. No flash or impressive highlight reels but will show up and put in week after week. Also all 3 (and Mead) are professional and experienced. I think the recruitment team is rebuilding club culture from the ground up and signing based on personalities.

Sproj

International Captain
Staff
Yeah, it’s a bunch of reasonably priced honest and hard working players. No flash or impressive highlight reels but will show up and put in week after week. Also all 3 (and Mead) are professional and experienced. I think the recruitment team is rebuilding club culture from the ground up and signing based on personalities.

And I like that a lot. AND if the board is actually learning from their MANY mistakes, I am very happy about that too.

Sproj

International Captain
Staff
Offa -> Asiata
Bird -> Mann
Boyd -> Mead+Copley

And hopefully a fair bit of money left over. I like it. This squad is not premiership ready, not even close but these kinds of cheap journeymen are needed in every side and until Brisbane only really has Glenn in that mould.

Plus, some of the kids are not ready for a full season of first grade as last year plainly showed, so this helps push them back in the pecking order a little until they are ready.

Foordy

International Captain
Staff

And I like that a lot. AND if the board is actually learning from their MANY mistakes, I am very happy about that too.

That's how you get your recruitment and your roster back on track.

first you get yourself those hardworking, professional, experienced players that will make you more competitive ... they'll complement your young talent that's coming through the ranks, but won't break the bank ...

then you bide your time until the right, superstar marquee player becomes available for you to go hard at, that will take your team to the next level making them premiership contenders.

to summarize ... do the exact opposite of what the Titans have been doing for the last decade

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain
I went through the first 10 rounds, and provided a fair bit of luck goes our way, I've got us at 5-5. Victories over Parra and the Titans twice which will take a big effort.

The Strapper

NRL Player
I went through the first 10 rounds, and provided a fair bit of luck goes our way, I've got us at 5-5. Victories over Parra and the Titans twice which will take a big effort.

Can’t see it.
We’ve got parra and the tits twice plus the storm, bunnies and panthers in the first 10 rounds which is a bloody nightmare.
I reckon we will be lucky to get 3 wins.
Hope I’m wrong but it doesn’t look good.

Thelmus

NRL Player
I think if we manage between 1 and 3 Kevie got them performing to about parr (provided none of the losses are by 50!). Any more than that and I start thinking about where we build his statue.
It's a tough 10 rounds, and he should snag a few games just because it's the start of the season and the boys are fired up.
The key is they need to show that if their opponents dial it in, we can make them pay and if our opponents play really well we make them earn every point and get a few ourselves.

Thelmus

NRL Player
As long as the side is competitive for the full 80, I’ll take all losses. Just want to see them playing with heart and passion in the jersey.
Couldn't agree any more with you. We are now every body's little brother in the way the cowboys, warriors and the bunnies of the past were.
No one hates us any more but no one really expects us to win either or even have respect for us. I just hope we manage a win against the Titans. It would definitely feel like payback after all those years of them saving their game of the year for us when we were on a run to a top four spot.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
As long as the side is competitive for the full 80, I’ll take all losses. Just want to see them playing with heart and passion in the jersey.
Yeah this. I don't care if we go 0-10 as long as we don't get hammered by more 10 points per loss. If every game ends with me thinking we were in it at some stage, I'll be happy. It'd make a nice change from knowing you're getting pumped by 30+ weekly and the only way it's less than that is if the opposition go easy.

Getting pumped 50 then following that with another 50 point loss. 0 pride.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.