Broncos positivity thread

Speaking of hookers... Anyone know how Macca is travelling with his injury? Is he fully healed and ready to go?
Seems to be moving pretty well in the training videos,wouldnt think he would be doing contact stuff yet that is just a guess though.

Last edited:
What I am positive about is footy coming back and my beloved Broncos running out on the field. I don't know what they will dish up this year and in a way I am excited to see how we play under Kev. See what style of footy we play and I hope its fast and creative. We need to take chances and the boys hopefully are all in and are ready to have a real go. If so we can most definitely turn some heads.
I no longer care about signings, we have what we have and they need to do the job, some of these lads need to challenge themselves and any of them could have a break out year. Hopefully it's more then one or two.

A few other positives
Kev, positivity is contagious. He believes in this club with all his heart. I am behind him as I know we all are on here and I am hoping the lads are buying in.
For once our spine has options in the half department, with a coach that knows how to use them.
Our forward pack is a year older and more developed. Some of the dead wood has been trimmed.
Payne will not be abused the way he was last year. He was run into the ground and I think he really missed having Lodge by his side.
Lodge to be healthy. I think he has copped a lot of heat, he was busted last year and still tried to have a go. The pack missed his leadership.

Things to be watchful of
Our hookers need to stay healthy.
We need somebody to step up at fullback.
A Forward leader needs to stand up and set the standard. Lodge I am looking at you.
Nice post.......👍

With a bit of luck and the bounce of the ball........we might go alright this year. The talent is there.......if everyone plays to their potential. If Kevvie can do nothing else except gettin players to do that...then he will have succeeded.
There is simply no point in moaning about the playing roster....it is what it is. In some ways we are no better or worse than most of the other clubs.

Milford HAS TO step up.......along with SOMEONE in the forward pack. I think we'll miss Fifita. A huge talent to lose........

Nice post.......👍

With a bit of luck and the bounce of the ball........we might go alright this year. The talent is there.......if everyone plays to their potential. If Kevvie can do nothing else except gettin players to do that...then he will have succeeded.
There is simply no point in moaning about the playing roster....it is what it is. In some ways we are no better or worse than most of the other clubs.

Milford HAS TO step up.......along with SOMEONE in the forward pack. I think we'll miss Fifita. A huge talent to lose........
TPJ provided far more for the club than Fifita did. He is definitely a huge talent but I don’t think we’ll notice his absence. He didn’t really do much for us last season.

Staggs injury will sting us far more but with experienced guys like Copley and Mead floating around and Herbie and Coates having another preseason under their belts, we should at least see more reliable defence out wide.

TPJ provided far more for the club than Fifita did. He is definitely a huge talent but I don’t think we’ll notice his absence. He didn’t really do much for us last season.

Staggs injury will sting us far more but with experienced guys like Copley and Mead floating around and Herbie and Coates having another preseason under their belts, we should at least see more reliable defence out wide.
That's what I'm hoping for: better defence out wide. I'd say that was a HUGE part of our misfortunes this season gone.
Back at the 2015 pre-season, Bennet drilled the team relentlessly in defence, it was said that they spent something like 80 percent of their time on it. Walters was there then as backs coach and that year we got to the grand final.
I'm not saying we can repeat that (we don't have inspirational players like hodges or Parker but we do have the coach who helped make it happen.
As for Copley and mead, they arent star players but they have been around enough and are professional enough to get whatever job their given done.
The biggest concern with both is their injury potential but beyond that they are fine.

I reckon defense is the key. This side has enough strike power, in the forwards anyway, to score about 18 points a game max. So train the team purely on defense to keep opposition under that and you go a ways to being more than competitive. Once Staggs returns, the side will then be able to put points on but it means nothing if the side defends like last year. If Kevvie can get Milf firing (which is likely as Milf is playing for a contract), he'll do enough to make the side competitive points wise.

So in a nutshell, Kevvie needs to do five things this year to make us at least proud of the boys this year and get them putting in effort:

1. Cut the cancers (this seems to have started)
2. Train almost entirely on defense
3. Get Milf motivated
4. Put players in their place but maintain a fun, enjoyable environment
5. Manipulate the media to side with him so he can succeed despite the board

These sound simple but they aren't. I do think Kevvie's personality definitely helps with most of them and that is a distinct advantage over the last idiot in charge. He has also surrounded himself with an on paper excellent back up coaching staff and THIS I am VERY excited about.

See, I can be positive.

I reckon defense is the key. This side has enough strike power, in the forwards anyway, to score about 18 points a game max. So train the team purely on defense to keep opposition under that and you go a ways to being more than competitive. Once Staggs returns, the side will then be able to put points on but it means nothing if the side defends like last year. If Kevvie can get Milf firing (which is likely as Milf is playing for a contract), he'll do enough to make the side competitive points wise.

So in a nutshell, Kevvie needs to do five things this year to make us at least proud of the boys this year and get them putting in effort:

1. Cut the cancers (this seems to have started)
2. Train almost entirely on defense
3. Get Milf motivated
4. Put players in their place but maintain a fun, enjoyable environment
5. Manipulate the media to side with him so he can succeed despite the board

These sound simple but they aren't. I do think Kevvie's personality definitely helps with most of them and that is a distinct advantage over the last idiot in charge. He has also surrounded himself with an on paper excellent back up coaching staff and THIS I am VERY excited about.

See, I can be positive.
Like a battery!🌝

I keep forgetting that anything I write is accessible by the world yet I am always lulled into the delusion that it's just 'us' talking. Bronco lovers. I believe I need to be circumspect in the future.

I’m positive that my new tv last year will get happier use this year watching Brisbane

I’m positive that my new tv last year will get happier use this year watching Brisbane
After last season, it must have been in serious danger of having objects hurtling towards it. I only resisted it myself by remembering to walk away (got plenty of exercise at least)
That the new TV survived not being hit by a projectile after our showing last year is either testament to your self-control....or lousy aim.

Last edited:
Something just made me positive.... Payne Haas looks like an absolute monster in a pre season photo on blokeinabar instagram. He is a genetic freak but there is no way he can play near 80 mins with that unit. Good news for us and for him, less minutes with more impact....

I’m positive we don’t have a recruitment manager. Alan going to bulldogs.

Far more upside to Fifita than TPJ....IMHO.

TPJ is a flat track bully........if he can prove otherwise.....great!

Could be true for sure but Fifita hasn’t exactly proved otherwise either yet

Could be true for sure but Fifita hasn’t exactly proved otherwise either yet
....and thats fair enough also. Some of the things Fifita has done, have looked pretty special......

He's becoming a little bit like Sam Thaiday in that his best and worst games are pretty far apart in standards. He's still capable of winning us games, but just as equally he can either go missing or blow a game up with something stupid that puts us under the pump.

He's becoming a little bit like Sam Thaiday in that his best and worst games are pretty far apart in standards. He's still capable of winning us games, but just as equally he can either go missing or blow a game up with something stupid that puts us under the pump.
Which Sam Thaiday?

After last season, it must have been in serious danger of having objects hurtling towards it. I only resisted it myself by remembering to walk away (got plenty of exercise at least)

That the new TV survived not being hit by a projectile after our showing last year is either testament to your self-control....or lousy aim.
Thats why I drink cans, no broken glass [emoji28]

16 reasons Broncos won’t come 16th in 2021 (part 1)

1. Coach Walters:
As far as coach’s go, the only way is up for the broncos. Kev has experience at origin level and super league, and has surrounded himself with a far higher pedigree of assistance than the megalomaniac who preceded him.

2. Payne and gain: Haas has expressed his need for quality over quantity when it comes to game time. Anyone who isn’t Seibold could see (boldly) that Payne was overworked and exhausted. This lead to blunted impact in attack and defensive errors in the back end of games. Less minutes should see a rejuvenated Payne playing the Haas down (sorry).

3. Lodge a complaint about the medical department: Matt Lodge has recovered from the broken leg that dogged him last season. The big fella will have a chip on his shoulder after watching last season’s pathetic efforts, and having his own ability brought into question by critics. A natural leader, I expect a big and aggressive start to the season for Lodge. Combine this with the previous point about Haas and our starting props will be something to fear.

4. Asiata locked in: John Asiata brings a new dynamic to the forward pack. A quick and agile lock with the hands of Thurston and the short kicking game of...also Thurston? Johns ball playing before the line should give Dearden and Milf some extra space in attack. With the already mentioned huge engine room upfront, John can bring a touch of flair and excitement to the middle forwards.

5. Props to Patty: No one can questions Pat’s efforts last season, though he was often accused of being one dimensional at prop. Asiata’s inclusion should see Patty shifted to his more suited position of Prop. For those keeping note; that’s a prop rotation of Lodge, Haas, and Carrigan. Yea please!

6. Stiffler’s Mum: the Milf appears to have recovered from his hamstring injuries. Anthony has performed below expectations in recent seasons with his greatest consistency being during Kev’s last stint at the club. If anyone has the keys to Milford’s shackles it’s legendary 5/8 Kev Walters, who has already thrown his full support behind the Man I’d Like to Fuckin play to his potential.

7. The boomerang gang: This season we see Dale Copley, David Mead, and Dandrew McCullough return to Red Hill. On top of that, Ben Teo is looking likely to return in 2021 after completing his first rugby league pre-season in half a decade. Although not the most exciting quintuple on the field, all 4 have a wealth of experience and are known for their professionalism and commitment to training. This brings a much needed benchmark for effort on and off the field, and may be especially beneficial for our very inexperienced backline. I think Macca playing for a contact, and burning from being discarded will surprise a lot of people. I think he may be a very influential figure at the club in 21. Hell, I may even give him his own number later in the list.

8. The troops return: if nothing else has improved since last season, at least we are mostly starting from scratch with injuries (Staggs and now Oates the notable exceptions). Someone recently posted how few games all our most important players played last year. We had millions of dollars in the sideline for large periods of the season. Touch wood we have a blessed pre-season and can build some consistent combination during the season

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Stix
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Organix
  • Culhwch
  • Johnny92
  • Morkel
  • Mustafur
  • BRC088
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • FACTHUNT
  • bazza
  • big k
  • Battler
  • RolledOates
  • broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • Skyblues87
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.