Broncos positivity thread

I just do not see this "spectrum" of second row play that you describe. I do agree with the ringing endorsement of Riki however I am unsure about the accuracy of your assessment of Fifita. As I see it, Fifita is indeed great at as you termed it, "unstructured running" but for mine, that is more a function of the Broncos shitty rabble of a game plan than some intrinsic property of Fifita's playing style. We "threw it to Fifita" because our game plan allowed no planned, structured options to allow line running say, of the sort you attributed to Riki. What Fifita did when playing for us was simply all that he was allowed to do by our game plan, or rather, the total lack of any coherent one, designed to maximise strengths and opportunities.

I am sure that Holbrook will have Fifita running very structured lines based on a very different game plan to what we had when Fifita played for us. I reckon to underestimate both Fifita and how Holbrook intends to deploy him is a big mistake. I have already read that Holbrook is developing combinations between Fifita and Fogarty as a sign of things to come.
I have to Agree, I think Fifita can only get better unless teams develop strategies to neutralize him. At the moment from stop starts and running sideways he can break the line quite easily which is scary. but I Don't see him being a consistent player even with a new team and new structures. I think Riki will be solid in defence and he's already proven his line running ability and power, His game on Saturday was fantastic and he'd surely be a starter come round 1.

Piakura is still a ways off I think, maybe gets a Q Cup stint but won't be in the NRL for a year or two. Riki is Gillett but twice the size so that's something to be excited about, runs great lines and defends his heart out.

We have Glenn and Oates there too so they'll have to prove something if the want to hold their spots. Riki and TPJ could be our most damaging SR combination.

Unfortunately, this is me being positive.

But noted, sorry didn't realise where I was posting.
Chill for a moment, and have a think about it. All clubs do it, including us (and always have). In recent history we signed Milford from Canberra, Bird from Cronulla. TPJ from Canberra, Croft from Melbourne, Arthars from Titans etc

Chill for a moment, and have a think about it. All clubs do it, including us (and always have). In recent history we signed Milford from Canberra, Bird from Cronulla. TPJ from Canberra, Croft from Melbourne, Arthars from Titans etc

My comment was mostly playful sarcasm... I understand it's not just us.. but we certainly seem to focus more resources than anyone on our junior development only to see very few benefits from it.

Signing players from other clubs is normal, but Milford was not a Canberra junior, Bird was a St George junior, not Cronulla and I'm unsure about TPJ / Croft / Arthars but I don't think any of them actually came up through the junior ranks at the clubs we signed them from.

I guess this is positive. Our spine isn't being ranked last:

You’re right, we need to get better at choosing who we steal

Must just fill the whole organisation with pride knowing they are the 'nice guys' of the NRL, so generously spending all their time developing this elite talent for the benefit of the rest of the competition. So glad that we can help everyone out so much by bringing these young superstars through the ranks so they can move on to other clubs, gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling inside :)
They would have stayed if we had a competent coach and were winning.

Unfortunately the complete opposite happened, and they left a burning ship with a broken hull.

Based on the team list names for this Saturday I’m starting to feel confident. At full strength this is a top 8 team with a lucky run of injuries and some good coaching.

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. David Mead
3. Herbie Farnworth
4. Tesi Niu (Staggs)
5. Xavior Coates
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Patrick Carrigan
9. Jake Turpin
10. Matt Lodge
11. Alex Glenn
12. Jordan Riki
13. Tevita Pangai Jnr
14. John Asiata
15. Thomas Flegler
16. Corey Oates
17. Payne Haas

Sure it isn’t the roosters or the storm on paper but the roster is as good as teams like the knights, warriors, Cronulla, tigers, Manly, cowboys, dragons.

I really think this team is I’ll finish 10th at the very lowest unless injuries completely destroy us. The forward pack alone, if used properly is really strong.

Last edited:
Based on the team list names for this Saturday I’m starting to feel confident. At full strength this is a top 8 team with a lucky run of injuries and some good coaching.

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. David Mead
3. Herbie Farnworth
4. Tesi Niu (Staggs)
5. Xavior Coates
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Patrick Carrigan
9. Jake Turpin
10. Matt Lodge
11. Alex Glenn
12. Jordan Riki
13. Tevita Pangai Jnr
14. John Asiata
15. Thomas Flegler
16. Corey Oates
17. Payne Haas

Sure it isn’t the roosters or the storm on paper but the roster is as good as teams like the knights, warriors, Cronulla, tigers, Manly, cowboys, dragons.

I really think this team is I’ll finish 10th at the very lowest unless injuries completely destroy us. The forward pack alone, if used properly is really strong.
Injuries are already going against us. I think it would be very optimistic indeed to assume that wont be the case again this year.

If Turpin can't make 80 minutes, who would you have missing out for Paix or whoever is backup hooker?

If Turpin can't make 80 minutes, who would you have missing out for Paix or whoever is backup hooker?
We don't need both Te'o and Oates. Bullemor would probably offer more than both, but even he probably misses out so we can carry a Bench Dummy Half.

The worlds biggest headache. I imagine injuries and suspension will make the question mostly moot.

Really it comes down to who performs the poorest out of Riki, Oates, Asiata, and Glenn.

Gun to my head the team was full strength round 1 and bench hooker was a must, I’d probably drop Oates just to make him prove himself as a second rower in ressies. If he is tearing it up after a game or two and no one is injured or suspended, he would push out the biggest struggler.

Gets even more complicated if Bullimor is kicking the door in.

Last edited:
The worlds biggest headache. I imagine injuries and suspension will make the question mostly moot.

Really it comes down to who performs the poorest out of Riki, Oates, Asiata, and Glenn.

Gun to my head the team was full strength round 1 and bench hooker was a must, I’d probably drop Oates just to make him prove himself as a second rower in ressies. If he is tearing it up after a game or two and no one is injured or suspended, he would push out the biggest struggler.

Gets even more complicated if Bullimor is kicking the door in.
Man, I'd be sending half those bastards back to the ISC for some massive jugs of harden the **** up, starting with Oates, Isaako, Kennar and Meade, and probably Lodge, Carrigan and Paix too. Maybe Walters will wait until round 5 to do some major arsekicking, but this is the season to start blooding youngsters like Walsh and Piakura off the bench and punishing these overpaid passengers.

The amount we hit the skids when Paix subbed Turpin suggests to me he's not the right choice for the bench. Maybe Asiata could slot into dummy half, or bring back Luke, who I thought was perfectly passable there in the latter half of last year.

Last edited:
Man, I'd be sending half those bastards back to the ISC for some massive jugs of harden the **** up, starting with Oates, Isaako, Kennar and Meade, and probably Lodge, Carrigan and Paix too. Maybe Walters will wait until round 5 to do some major arsekicking, but this is the season to start blooding youngsters like Walsh and Piakura off the bench and punishing these overpaid passengers.

The amount we hit the skids when Paix subbed Turpin suggests to me he's not the right choice for the bench. Maybe Asiata could slot into dummy half, or bring back Luke, who I thought was perfectly passable there in the latter half of last year.

That is all well and good but for me, it doesn't answer the question of who out there, in the middle, is going to put it all together, organise the attack and crucially that shitty shitty defence, AND keep it together when the going gets tough. Until then, again for me, we will never reach that next level needed to make the finals.

That seriously tempers any positivity I have for this season.

Last edited:
That is all well and good but for me, it doesn't answer the question of who out there, in the middle, is going to put it all together, organise the attack and crucially that shitty shitty defence, AND keep it together when the going gets tough. Until then, again for me, we will never reach that next level needed to make the finals.

That seriously tempers any positivity I have for this season.
Never give up hope.

Fcb5b9318a7aa3e65c4e57f93db6b211

Last edited:

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • Foordy
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Organix
  • Waynesaurus
  • Mr Fourex
  • Financeguy
  • LittleDavey
  • Fatboy
  • Brocko
  • winslow_wong
  • Morkel
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Harry Sack
  • Johnny92
  • BroncoFan94
  • broncos4life
  • Nerd
  • Shane Tronc
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.