NEWS Broncos put the feelers out for Folau

Status
Not open for further replies.
ARU dropped their balls bigtime. He broke contract, it was a no-brainer. Shouldn't have given him a cent let alone an apology.
Maybe the contract didn’t stipulate what they said it did?

Probably would have been brought up by now by Folau and supporters if that was the case. The only argument I heard from them was freedom of speach.

Exactly. And what's more they've defamed him by conflating religious expression with hate speech. The notion that warning that a certain behavior is a sin is not exactly unfamiliar to us. We've been blanking that shit out since sometime after birth.

The correct course of action would've been for someone higher in his church to correct him, and for him to apologize for getting it wrong. But that's not going to happen. I wonder why?

If Israel is guilty of something, then so too is everyone of his faith. If we know anything about his faith it's that it respects those who would die on the cross, rather than hold their tongue, so to speak.

Last edited:
Probably would have been brought up by now by Folau and supporters if that was the case. The only argument I heard from them was freedom of speach.
Pretty sure they were disputing it at some point

ARU dropped their balls bigtime. He broke contract, it was a no-brainer. Shouldn't have given him a cent let alone an apology.

You are telling me that RA decided to just hand over millions of dollars by choice?
I don’t think so, a out of court settlement of 8 million looks a lot better then loosing a trail, having to pay him 14 million and heads rolling

Yep, no question he wasn't acting in his best interests by flapping his gums specifically on gays. He has to have a tin ear not to see the power of that lobby when every current TV show has sodomy as a central theme.

But, on the other hand, his right to express his religious beliefs are protected by the Constitution and various anti-discrimination statutes.

If he sincerely believes ramming your penis up another man's sphincter, having a few drinks or telling a lie will cause you to burn in Hell for eternity - and not only that he can cite his source - why should we demand he be silenced? How could he not warn us?

To me, it's much the same as people protesting about the "climate emergency" even though they know little about the subject and much of what they do "know" isn't exactly watertight. We understand why they're upset. We know who's getting them upset. And we know they mean well, regardless of their narrow knowledge and simplistic grasp of economics and energy policy.
[automerge]1575772297[/automerge]

I'd like to hear your argument against that.
The Australian constitution DOESN'T specifically protect 'freedom of speech'. It's not in there.

If it was as you say I think they would have pursued it.

You are telling me that RA decided to just hand over millions of dollars by choice?
I don’t think so, a out of court settlement of 8 million looks a lot better then loosing a trail, having to pay him 14 million and heads rolling
Also bare in mind, although few Australian rugby players are super religious, most are the products of privately run church schools. Oddly, Israel isn't one of them.
[automerge]1575786635[/automerge]
The Australian constitution DOESN'T specifically protect 'freedom of speech'. It's not in there.

There is also precedent in case law, such as Krygger v Williams

Last edited:
Imagine having to release a statement every time Badel or whoever writes an article about us.

Last edited:
8million is to paraphrase wildly innacurate according to Castle. I doubt he got that much, nobody knows what he got. As I said, they dropped their balls but to me Israel is still a loser in this too. His options for employment have become limited after this fiasco and I'm sure at least a few of his sponsors have bailed. Why do you think he had the hide to ask people to fund his legal fees?

The prophecies of doom and scaremongering are much the same. The fevered conviction relying on believing something that's backed by shoddy evidence is much the same. People are mostly talking out of their arse, relying on second hand information which they don't really understand, and appealing to authorities who are also bluffing, on both.
Nope nope noppity nope. Shoddy evidence? Bad call there. Like most deniers you only are interested in the mistakes made, usually by well meaning and or over zealous people in the sciences. You think that invalidates ALL science. Fortunately people who are a great deal smarter than you are the hope for the planet. I will put my trust in the sciences 100% of the time. Unlike the deniers and the maniacal religious I love the fact that science(scientists more particularly) can admit error and is happy to correct a previously held explanation.

There are no peer reviewed studies which prove that human influenced climate change is not real. I challenge anyone to provide a link, remember it must be peer reviewed and proven.

Nope nope noppity nope. Shoddy evidence? Bad call there. Like most deniers
Stopped reading at this point. Same language used by religious nuts. Science isn't about not challenging claims. It's the exact opposite.

Once you start relying on calling your opponents names like this, you instantly lose.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Stopped reading at this point. Same language used by religious nuts. Science isn't about not challenging claims. It's the exact opposite.
Perhaps you should have read it. Mind you, your admission highlights why I don't think you're bright! Had you read it you'd have seen that I mentioned why I like science and your response wouldn't look as stupid as it does.

Mods, is this really the direction this thread should be heading in? Took about being blown waaaaay off course.

Should’ve been locked ages ago. Pointless thread, even well before we released an official statement

Perhaps you should have read it. Mind you, your admission highlights why I don't think you're bright! Had you read it you'd have seen that I mentioned why I like science and your response wouldn't look as stupid as it does.
You kind of proved my point about lay people having strong views based on limited appeal to authority on subjects they honestly know little about. For example, when a media commentator joins dots between the damage caused by a cyclone and a political position on carbon tax, you should correct them. Perhaps by referring to the NOAA's statement on hurricanes, which is they haven't proven a link. Most protesters would not even have read the IPCC's latest report.

Same with condemning Israel. Ask someone higher in the church for a clarification. Read the source documents.

Last edited:
8million is to paraphrase wildly innacurate according to Castle. I doubt he got that much, nobody knows what he got. As I said, they dropped their balls but to me Israel is still a loser in this too. His options for employment have become limited after this fiasco and I'm sure at least a few of his sponsors have bailed. Why do you think he had the hide to ask people to fund his legal fees?
As someone else said he’ll probably move to France and get paid a **** ton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.