Broncos quartet develop skills at AFL club

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Broncos quartet develop skills at AFL club

Tue 29 Jan 2019, 06:25 PM
Four of the Brisbane Broncos biggest stars are spending time with the North Melbourne AFL club this week to enhance their skills and undertake professional development.
Anthony Milford, Kodi Nikorima, Jamayne Isaako and Andrew McCullough have joined Broncos assistant and kicking coach Kurt Richards at the Kangaroos for a visit that was co-ordinated by Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold and North Melbourne head of player development Aaron Greaves.
Greaves was previously at Port Adelaide in the same role and has a long-standing relationship with Seibold.
Leading rugby league players such as Cooper Cronk have developed their skills by learning from AFL players but Seibold said there were multiple benefits to the Broncos visit.
"I think there is a great opportunity for shared learning but it is not just about the kicking and catching skills," Seibold told NRL.com.
"For our four players that we've sent down there, it is an opportunity to observe professional athletes in their environment and look at some of the habits they have which allows them the opportunity to play in the AFL.

"It is a great opportunity for our guys to sit in on team meetings and observe what other players do to prepare.
"Kurt Richards, who is our kicking coach at the Broncos, does a good job with our kickers but it is also an opportunity for him to look at some other ideas and other ways of practising.
"I've done a lot of professional development with Greavsy. He organised the opportunity for our players and they are going to come up [to the Broncos] with a couple of their coaches and players in a couple of weeks."
It is not just about the kicking and catching skills
Broncos coach Anthony Seibold​
Seibold sent several South Sydney players to Port Adelaide last year and was also involved in facilitating cross-code learning opportunities and personal development when he was at the Melbourne Storm.
He said the timing of the Broncos visit would allow his players to fully immerse themselves in the Kangaroos system.
"We've just come off the back of a camp at the Sunshine Coast last week and we are still a couple of weeks away from playing games so it is a good chance for those guys to immerse themselves in their program down there," Seibold said.
"They are doing everything the AFL players are doing for two days, and the gym sessions and conditioning that our conditioners have set for them."
Milford's kicking game was a noted area of improvement for Brisbane last year and NRL.com reported how sessions with Richards at the Brisbane Lions indoor training facility on his days off had reaped rewards.
As part of these sessions, the Broncos playmaker would kick the ball at targets that flashed up on a screen.
While the NRL can learn a lot from the AFL it is a two-way street, highlighted by the presence of former Brisbane Lions premiership winner Michael Voss at Brisbane Broncos training on Tuesday.
"I've got a really good relationship with Ken Hinkley who is the head coach of Port Adelaide and Vossy is the senior assistant down there and a Queensland sporting legend," Seibold said.
"Vossy contacted me and asked if he and the Port Adelaide skill acquisition coach Carl Woods could join us for the day. They have been at our meetings and at our field session and immersed in our program for the last 24 hours.
"They just wanted to see what we are doing here and if there is any takeaway for them to take back to Port Adelaide. Again, a great opportunity for some shared learning."

Source: NRL.com

Last edited:
I'm sure we did sessions with the Lions in thr past (maybe that's why we sucked in those areas given how they're going...)

Nevertheless cross-skilling is a valuable tool and we can definitely benefit from it.

hopefully McCullough will start kicking out of dummy half a bit more,seem to remember him getting a few 40/20's before his ACL injury.

was trying to remember which knee he did might have played a bit of a factor into it

So good to read about Milf putting in time on his days off. Must be harder now with the baby at home.

Its good but I'm not going to get too carried away. It'd definitely be a more intense experience of AFL than training with the lions but a lot would depend on what they get out of it. And let's face it, a week isn't exactly a long time, but it might give them a few ideas from a sport where kicking and three dimension strategies and tactics are infused from a young age.

I'm a fan of Seibold ... but TBF, this isn't the first time we have sent our players to train with AFL clubs ... I'm pretty sure even Locky trained with an AFL club at one point

Locky was from the AFL

They get Daniel Merrett from the Lions to help in the last few seasons (he was a rubbish player) and now they go to Notths (an average team). They could shoot for a successful club like Hawthorn or Geelong.

Would Locky have been an AFL Star?

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Dash
  • bert_lifts
  • Aldo
  • Foordy
  • Strop
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Manofoneway
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • Bish
  • Thelmus
  • NSW stables
  • Xzei
  • Mr Fourex
  • Fatboy
  • Griffo
  • Galah
  • Broncosarethebest
  • MrRobot
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.