OFFICIAL Broncos release Andrew McCullough

Haven't looked at the video, but have seen elsewhere that Kobe Hetherington is in the development squad as a hooker

He suffers from the same plight as Paix- gets moved too much. He played two ISC games last year at half for Norths, played lock for Souths this year in round one and played hooker for Queensland 20's last year. Was at 9 and captain with Paix at 7 in Norths Colts GF win in 2018.

Now they're both at Souths someone isn't playing hooker.

Last edited:
He suffers from the same plight as Paix- gets moved too much. He played two ISC games last year at half for Norths, played lock for Souths this year in round one and played hooker for Queensland 20's last year. Was at 9 and captain with Paix at 7 in Norths Colts GF win in 2018.

Do you think that's because of poor coaching / development, or do they have a bit of the Kurt Capewell's about them? (Decent in a lot of positions, but not elite in any)

Haven't looked at the video, but have seen elsewhere that Kobe Hetherington is in the development squad as a hooker

When I saw the name I wondered, so I had to look it up. Solid pedigree for a hooker!

I dont think thats the case. He had a clear idea of how he wanted to use Bird and it just didnt work out. Bird was a top tier player at the time we signed him and a fully fit and firing Bird would improve us immensely.

We didnt really lose our pulling power either. Apart from Ash Taylor and Cam Smith who did we lose? We didnt lose Ash because of our pulling power, we lost him because the Titans offered him about $300k a year more than we did. It was purely about money. Smith just played us to get himself a better contract with the grubs.

Bird was signed for no other reason than Wayne's ego.

I think this is exactly what needed to happen. Andrew thanks for your toiling work over the years, but It was time.

It's a little disappointing to see some of the more harsh comments around Macca.

He's obviously far from 'elite' and in the last few years he has looked increasingly behind the times for a modern Dummy Half, but I think on balance he's done a more than satisfactory job during his time at the Broncos.

This is a guy who came into the role back when a Dummy Half who could get through 80 minutes and tackle all day was all most clubs could ask for in the role. You'd have to assume he's made more tackles than any other Bronco during his time here, and he'd be close to, if not THE top of the all time tackle count as a Bronco in our history.

As times have changed so has the demands and skill set required, and as it stands today its easily the most demanding position on the field both mentally and physically, and in terms of the broad skill set it now calls for.

Macca cannot be blamed for Brisbane being slow to recognise this, nor can he really be blamed for being unable to adapt himself. All players get slower with time, and Macca is no exception.

I just find it so hard to be critical of a guy who quite obviously gave it his all and reached his ceiling. Far, far more talented players do not achieve half of what he managed. We all want to most talented guys, but you also need guys who make the absolute most of the talent they have, and without question, I think Macca did exactly that. This is a guy who left nothing in the tank and thoroughly earned every single pay cheque he received from the club. How many players can we honestly say that about?

Brisbane will almost certainly be a better team now that he is gone, but it is also true that for a lot of his time here, they were a better club for having him in the first place.

Last edited:
for me my Turpin love stems more from his on field attitude than his innate ability. He’s got a bit of young Josh Reynolds at the dogs about him (minus the grubbiness).
I just watched a replay of the round 1 win over the Cowboys and the number of times I saw a cowboy cut down in a great tackle only to see Turps get up was impressive.
The guy is a terrier in defense and his opening try where he completely fooled Holmes with the biggest dummy in ages was outstanding.
I don't see how he can be described as "serviceable" by any stretch of the imagination....

I just watched a replay of the round 1 win over the Cowboys and the number of times I saw a cowboy cut down in a great tackle only to see Turps get up was impressive.
The guy is a terrier in defense and his opening try where he completely fooled Holmes with the biggest dummy in ages was outstanding.
I don't see how he can be described as "serviceable" by any stretch of the imagination....
Where can I see this replay?

Bird was signed for no other reason than Wayne's ego.

Comical repsonse. That article isnt even relevant to Birds signing and isnt credible in that respect. Fancy bringing Cronk into the equation when he wanted a move to Sydney for his partner. Not even a relevant example there. For a start, we didnt sign Bird to play in the halves. Secondly, we were chasing Taylor after we signed Bird. So clearly we wanted a half.

Our failure to sign a half could well be on Waynes head, and we missed a few, but it wasnt down to us signing Bird, so how is that down to Waynes ego? You are talking nonsense.

I dont think he is just servicable, but i dont think he is as good as he is made out to be either ( and thats not me knocking him ). He is an awesome competitor, never gives up anything but he is benefiting by not being Macca. I reckon by the end of next year there will be plenty of people wanting us to upgrade him if he doesnt add more to his game.

Last edited:

Now they're both at Souths someone isn't playing hooker.
Would be interested to get your thoughts on where you think the Broncos are heading in regards to their long term hooker??

To me Turps looks a decent stop gap, but may have limitations in being that game breaking hooker from DH and to me has further to go around the ruck play (working the markers, etc.). In saying that his defense is extremely solid, his support play is always there and his service seems pretty good, but I think he needs a bit more to his game before he looks like the next long term hooker.

There also seems to be question marks on Paix (as he would probably be a manufactured hooker) and now you've stated some limitations in the development of Kobe Hetherington.

Given we have let Simpkin go to the Tigers (who was a highly rated junior)... I was wondering which direction you see the Broncos going for with their long term hooker??

We seem to have halves, fullbacks, outside backs and forwards coming through from everywhere, but hooker definitely appears to be a short coming in the squad and juniors coming through.

Active Now

• Rough and Ready
  • Sproj
  • Scorchie
  • LittleDavey
  • Horseheadsup
  • bazza
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncosgirl
  • Foordy
  • winslow_wong
  • Mustafur
  • Xzei
  • Santa
  • Galah
  • MrTickyMcG
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Painin the Haas
  • Tim K
  • Organix
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.