OFFICIAL Broncos release Andrew McCullough

Wolfie

State of Origin Captain
Because Bennett wanted to try to prove that he still had pulling power (remember we missed out on some players before that). So he just signed someone without regard to whether the team needed them or not.
I dont think thats the case. He had a clear idea of how he wanted to use Bird and it just didnt work out. Bird was a top tier player at the time we signed him and a fully fit and firing Bird would improve us immensely.

We didnt really lose our pulling power either. Apart from Ash Taylor and Cam Smith who did we lose? We didnt lose Ash because of our pulling power, we lost him because the Titans offered him about $300k a year more than we did. It was purely about money. Smith just played us to get himself a better contract with the grubs.

Wolfie

State of Origin Captain
Completely missed my point but that's fine. I'm saying a utility is non-negotiable, as you so kindly backed up in your post, Seibold always plays a utility even if he doesn't intend on playing them.

There's no room for Te'o in a fully fit 17.
You did say specifically Paix was non-negotiable, not a utility was non-negotiable. We have other options.

I think Teo would be in a fair bit but probably not a regular like you say. Pangai has no brains, he is always going to pick up at least a couple of long suspensions every year. For all his brilliance when he is on his game, he is a liability due to him making the same mistakes over and over again.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
You did say specifically Paix was non-negotiable, not a utility was non-negotiable. We have other options.

I think Teo would be in a fair bit but probably not a regular like you say. Pangai has no brains, he is always going to pick up at least a couple of long suspensions every year. For all his brilliance when he is on his game, he is a liability due to him making the same mistakes over and over again.
I meant Paix as a utilty placeholder in a hypothetical full strength team is non-negotiable, didn't think it was that hard to understand, my bad xD

State of Origin Rep
Haven't looked at the video, but have seen elsewhere that Kobe Hetherington is in the development squad as a hooker
He suffers from the same plight as Paix- gets moved too much. He played two ISC games last year at half for Norths, played lock for Souths this year in round one and played hooker for Queensland 20's last year. Was at 9 and captain with Paix at 7 in Norths Colts GF win in 2018.

Now they're both at Souths someone isn't playing hooker.

Last edited:

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
He suffers from the same plight as Paix- gets moved too much. He played two ISC games last year at half for Norths, played lock for Souths this year in round one and played hooker for Queensland 20's last year. Was at 9 and captain with Paix at 7 in Norths Colts GF win in 2018.
Do you think that's because of poor coaching / development, or do they have a bit of the Kurt Capewell's about them? (Decent in a lot of positions, but not elite in any)

Brent81

NRL Player
I dont think thats the case. He had a clear idea of how he wanted to use Bird and it just didnt work out. Bird was a top tier player at the time we signed him and a fully fit and firing Bird would improve us immensely.

We didnt really lose our pulling power either. Apart from Ash Taylor and Cam Smith who did we lose? We didnt lose Ash because of our pulling power, we lost him because the Titans offered him about $300k a year more than we did. It was purely about money. Smith just played us to get himself a better contract with the grubs.

Bird was signed for no other reason than Wayne's ego.

kooly87

NRL Player
It's a little disappointing to see some of the more harsh comments around Macca.

He's obviously far from 'elite' and in the last few years he has looked increasingly behind the times for a modern Dummy Half, but I think on balance he's done a more than satisfactory job during his time at the Broncos.

This is a guy who came into the role back when a Dummy Half who could get through 80 minutes and tackle all day was all most clubs could ask for in the role. You'd have to assume he's made more tackles than any other Bronco during his time here, and he'd be close to, if not THE top of the all time tackle count as a Bronco in our history.

As times have changed so has the demands and skill set required, and as it stands today its easily the most demanding position on the field both mentally and physically, and in terms of the broad skill set it now calls for.

Macca cannot be blamed for Brisbane being slow to recognise this, nor can he really be blamed for being unable to adapt himself. All players get slower with time, and Macca is no exception.

I just find it so hard to be critical of a guy who quite obviously gave it his all and reached his ceiling. Far, far more talented players do not achieve half of what he managed. We all want to most talented guys, but you also need guys who make the absolute most of the talent they have, and without question, I think Macca did exactly that. This is a guy who left nothing in the tank and thoroughly earned every single pay cheque he received from the club. How many players can we honestly say that about?

Brisbane will almost certainly be a better team now that he is gone, but it is also true that for a lot of his time here, they were a better club for having him in the first place.

Last edited:

KnToad

QCup Player
Sunshine Coast
for me my Turpin love stems more from his on field attitude than his innate ability. He’s got a bit of young Josh Reynolds at the dogs about him (minus the grubbiness).
I just watched a replay of the round 1 win over the Cowboys and the number of times I saw a cowboy cut down in a great tackle only to see Turps get up was impressive.
The guy is a terrier in defense and his opening try where he completely fooled Holmes with the biggest dummy in ages was outstanding.
I don't see how he can be described as "serviceable" by any stretch of the imagination....

Tom

State of Origin Captain
I just watched a replay of the round 1 win over the Cowboys and the number of times I saw a cowboy cut down in a great tackle only to see Turps get up was impressive.
The guy is a terrier in defense and his opening try where he completely fooled Holmes with the biggest dummy in ages was outstanding.
I don't see how he can be described as "serviceable" by any stretch of the imagination....
Where can I see this replay?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulietaRai

Members online

Twitter