Broncos release Hala and Kennedy

kingpest

kingpest

QCup Player
Apr 14, 2013
Kennedy and hala officially released. Must have some more front row signings coming

Re: Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2014

Broncos have just officially announced both Kennedy and Hala have been released.

If they're released, why should we pay a portion of their contract? Their managers requested the release...

I'm torn on this.

In regards to Hala, I'm fine with it but I've got to say it's disappointing we never got to see the best of what he could offer. Of course, Hala's potential could be illusory and we could have just been chasing it for another year while we neglect the development of a youngster but there's no doubting how much Hala's charges could bring to the team and his status as a fan favourite. Watching him play NYC in contrast to other players in the team like Tariq Sims & Josh McGuire I honestly thought we had found our own version of Fui. Unfortunately injuries got the better of him and along the way he was starting to become too much like Big Dave Taylor.

His highlight for me was that try he scored against the Dragons. They weren't slouches in defence, St. George but they couldn't handle Dave that close to the line.

On Kennedy, I see him as a gamble that unfortunately didn't pay off. In a lot of ways, I can see how the Broncos saw it as a hand in glove situation. Relatively young prop, who's been in Sydney returning home just about to hit his peak years as a player who's been rubbing shoulders with the best players in the competition - could be a coup. However, it never came to be and whether it was down to the way he was coached or who he was is difficult to determine but at the end of the day, it turned out to be a bust. I'm unsure how much he was ever actually on. When it was initially reported, it was $300K but that figure seemingly grew the worse he got but suffice to say whatever he was on, wasn't worth it. However, it's also a point of contention as well since the word is that we're going to have to pay a fair amount of his contract for him to play elsewhere. If we're paying upwards of 60% then I'd hate that arrangement - may as well keep him, not pay him so he can potentially help another team out.

With him seemingly out the door, well, I do believe we've got ourselves a contender for worst signing in Broncos history.

Last edited:
kennedy was absolute shithouse. but everyone was so pleased that he talked a good game.

Goodluck to them both, I am looking for to seeing Joe Ofahengaue play next year, hopefully he can live up to the hype.

We'll need 3 props on the bench next year if Parker and McGuire are our starting props.

Goodbye Dave and Martin, best of luck in your future endeavours.

Man, we're clearing up some serious cap space.

Have you got a link that says it is official. Nothing on the CM, Broncos or Fox Sports website's

Will we have to cover part of Kennedys wage (if he doesn't get 400k)?

We have plenty of good props coming through so the loss of 2 props who never delivered much isn't a major loss and can be covered. Might be freeing up cap space to sign Merrin.

I was always right about Kennedy as I've never rated him and Hala just was unable to show what he was capable off. I wish them the best in their future.

We have plenty of good props coming through so the loss of 2 props who never delivered much isn't a major loss and can be covered. Might be freeing up cap space to sign Merrin.

I was always right about Kennedy as I've never rated him and Hala just was unable to show what he was capable off. I wish them the best in their future.

I'd be ok with us clearing space to sign Merrin, but i fear that's not who we're clearing space to sign

I highly doubt we'll be paying part of Kennedy's salary.. it sounds like a pretty mutual straight release, he doesn't wanna be here, we don't want him here, and Roosters want him back.

Brent Read is reporting that the Broncos will be paying a significant amount of his contract.

I'm still fairly certain Hoffman is going which will fit Boyd back into the cap.
So if he has release Kennedy and Hala, I'm fairly confident he has another front rower signing coming. And with the money he is freeing up, it might be a decent front rower by the sounds of it.
As for Kennedy, he just never kicked into gear here. I had high hopes for him to link with McGuire & Hannant and form a great front row rotation but he just plain didn't have a crack here. Hala on the other hand has had many chances to secure a spot in the team. His fitness levels are atrocious for a first grade prop. He barely gives you more than 5 quality minutes per stint on the field. Good luck with the titans but I cant see him doing anything considering props need to be able to play more than 10 minutes a game.

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • NSW stables
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Old Mate
  • BruiserMk1
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Robboi_321
  • Mr Fourex
  • Allo
  • Kev_Guz
  • sooticus
  • phoenix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.