Broncos release Hala and Kennedy

Best of luck to both players on their future. I think they have a huge amount of talent and their best days as players are still to come I think.

That being said, I don't necessarily buy the idea that all Kennedy needed was a decent coach to get the best out of him. He's a front rower. His main role is laying a platform, running hard and tackling hard. It shouldn't take someone of WB's stature for him to realise that. Hala was plagued by injuries which have severely hampered his development. At times, he showed glimpses of what he can do so I applaud the club for giving him time to recover and find form. I guess though when younger players are ready for a chance tough decisions need to be made.

People concerned about next year's team getting run over by opposition teams are forgetting we were getting run over this year with Hala, Kennedy, Hannant etc...we're losing some experience but not much else.

Are there any genuine front rowers still undecided on their future? I'm not sure but none really spring to mine. It probably points to us blooding some rookies next year (which is a good thing and something Griffin didn't do often enough).

Kennedy and Hala isn't the issue.

The issue is that instead of recruiting big guys (so that we can actually compete with the bigger teams) we are getting rid of them in favour of (apparently) more backrowers (which we have too many of already) and another fullback.

We need PROPS. Real props. Not backrowers pretending to be front rowers (Creagh, Merrin etc).

If we want Merrin then we have to sack Glenn or Gillett (ideally both).

We don't need a heap of rookie front rowers either (watch us play the sharks in 2013 and watch what happened when you have an inexperienced pack). Props don't come good until their mid to late 20s.

We need a forward leader. The bloke that takes the first hit up and bends the line. We don't have that at the moment.

If we didn't have Bennett I'd be really concerned.

I'm so sick of this "we were losing because our team isn't big" myth.

If anyone, I would sign Lloyd Perret, someone said it before and I agree. I saw him playing in the Origin Under 20's and he killed it, he has great leg drive and always bends the line.

I actually remember being disappointed about letting Tony go - especially after he played well against the Eels that year.

Did we have to pay him to go play in England?

I'll just throw it out there, I'm pretty sure Bennett envisions Parker as a prop for the remainder of his career, as much as we don't like it. The only signings I can see potentially coming before the start of next season is Boyd, a prop and a lock.

There's not a whole lot of good quality props going around, so we may have to settle for a 30 year old journeyman or a young unproven prop.

I'd be offering money to Lloyd Perrett & Joseph Paulo personally.

8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Parker
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday (c)
13. Paulo

14. Glenn
15. Oates
16. Gavet
17. Perrett / Garbutt / Ofahengaue
If that bold bit happens, I'm pretty sure [MENTION=1992]Huge[/MENTION] will pop an artery! :eek:

I'm so sick of this "we were losing because our team isn't big" myth.

Didn't watch us play Souths or the Roosters or the Dogs eh?

Size matters.

Good big man beats good little man every time. Has been since the game was invented.

Size matters.

Good big man beats good little man every time. Has been since the game was invented.

The Dogs - We flogged them twice this year. Cant really flog teams if you forwards aren't on top.
Rabbits - Lost in the final minutes in the first round due to a bs penalty and bs try call going against us, second game we did get smacked but that was only because inglis took us to town
Roosters - another game we should have won (lead by 8 with 5 minutes to go only to get run down by some fluke plays by the roosters). Their forwards hardly dominated ours.

Of the three teams you just mentioned, only once (souths second game) were we really out muscled up front. Shane Webke was smaller than Merrin, are you saying he was shit to as a front rower?

Merrin can actually play prop and goes alright there. He has a high work rate and can offload.

I would prefer we sign an actual prop. Not a backrower that did a decent job at prop.

The Dogs - We flogged them twice this year. Cant really flog teams if you forwards aren't on top.
Rabbits - Lost in the final minutes in the first round due to a bs penalty and bs try call going against us, second game we did get smacked but that was only because inglis took us to town
Roosters - another game we should have won (lead by 8 with 5 minutes to go only to get run down by some fluke plays by the roosters). Their forwards hardly dominated ours.

Of the three teams you just mentioned, only once (souths second game) were we really out muscled up front. Shane Webke was smaller than Merrin, are you saying he was **** to as a front rower?

Ok. Two things.

First, Webcke was not smaller than Merrin. I've already posted Merrin's stats. Webcke was

Height
183 cm (6 ft 0 in)
Weight112 kg (17 st 9 lb)

AS such Webcke was taller and heavier (by nearly 10 kgs).

Second, you reckon we held our own in the forwards against any of those teams. You just don't watch the game do you? Ps - your eckon we "flogged" the Dogs in round one? If one of their blokes hadn't dropped the ball over the line we'd have lost. Against Souths, they were up 16 blot and it should have been 22 blot except for the fact that one of the Burgess dropped the ball as he was going over the line. Ps In that game do you remember one of the Burgess boys scoring off the tap?

You can't have your own set of facts Mitch222

Size matters.

Maybe Griffin's KFC diet was genius after all?

Our defence was poor not because they weren't 5kg heavier, but because they didn't move up properly, didn't wrestle properly and generally weren't great at tackling.

As for running, leg drive is far more important than that extra body weight. Someone like Sam Moa is a midget compared to other front rowers, and he's one of the best.

Ok. Two things.

First, Webcke was not smaller than Merrin. I've already posted Merrin's stats. Webcke was

Height
183 cm (6 ft 0 in)
Weight112 kg (17 st 9 lb)

AS such Webcke was taller and heavier (by nearly 10 kgs).

Second, you reckon we held our own in the forwards against any of those teams. You just don't watch the game do you? Ps - your eckon we "flogged" the Dogs in round one? If one of their blokes hadn't dropped the ball over the line we'd have lost. Against Souths, they were up 16 blot and it should have been 22 blot except for the fact that one of the Burgess dropped the ball as he was going over the line. Ps In that game do you remember one of the Burgess boys scoring off the tap?

You can't have your own set of facts Mitch222

People can have a differing opinion to you and we all obviously watch the fucking games so stop asking that

Trent Merrin and Matt Scott are about the same size... ergo, Matt Scott shouldn't be a prop. :laugh:

I am hoping we see a signing soon.

I have little faith in Joe or Molo at the moment.

They do well in the 20's, but it's a big step up to first grade. I have my doubts as to whether they can handle the weekly grind of the NRL. So far, Molo's time in the NRL wasn't anything great. He struggled to keep up in his debut game. He was constantly in an offside position because he was too slow to get back the 10 or get into marker and he couldn't really make a dominant tackle despite his size.

I would prefer we sign another front rower that's played against men on a weekly basis.

Trent Merrin and Matt Scott are about the same size... ergo, Matt Scott shouldn't be a prop. :laugh:

I'll let Brent81 tell him that... cos I'm sure as hell not going to

Active Now

• Justwin
  • winslow_wong
  • Cavalo
  • IceWorks
  • bb_gun
  • Harry Sack
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • mrtij
  • Scdeac
  • Foordy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Kev_Guz
  • Santa
  • Skyblues87
  • broncos4life
  • Fozz
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.