Broncos release Hala and Kennedy

Maybe Griffin's KFC diet was genius after all?

Our defence was poor not because they weren't 5kg heavier, but because they didn't move up properly, didn't wrestle properly and generally weren't great at tackling.

As for running, leg drive is far more important than that extra body weight. Someone like Sam Moa is a midget compared to other front rowers, and he's one of the best.

I didn't say we should pick fat people Alec. Don't be disingenuous.

You don't have to wrestle if you sit a bloke on his backside.

Any way the point is, that if we are going to get rid of Kennedy and Hala we need someone to replace them and Merrin just isn't what we need.

Trent Merrin and Matt Scott are about the same size... ergo, Matt Scott shouldn't be a prop. :laugh:

You're comparing Merrin to Matt Scott?

You, sir, are an idiot. lol

I take your point.

Aren't Garbutt and Garvet big boys?

Add to that Ofehengue and Molo who aren't small either. (not sure about Griffin)

Big doesn't necessarily mean better, especially if they run kike a pillow

I take your point.

No, he's comparing their body size.. his point is that size isn't everything, players can be moulded and trained to adapt to different roles.

If we sign someone who is consistently in the 17, we will be better off. The two we have let go are fringe first graders at best.
Clearly Bennett has had a talk to Kennedy, obviously didn't like what he heard.

Just asked Chris Garry if we would be signing another prop or if we were just going to promote some of the Under 20's and he said to read the paper tomorrow, should be interesting.

My guess is an article relating to how Bennett sees Ofahengaue as the future of the club or something, I wouldn't hold my breath for a signing.

So what was the point in letting Hannant go if we were going to release Kennedy and Hala. Surely Hannant has been one of our best props. I feel Griffin screwed him over big time by playing him off the bench and then dropping him. He has clearly played his best football when starting. He's not an impact prop, therefore doesn't provide value off the bench, however is a good starting prop - something we no longer have.

Now that we've let Kennedy go, we need to replace him with another starting prop. I'd personally be targeting a big, established prop like Jared Waerea-Hargreaves or a Burgess Twin (or both), or perhaps a big strong prop from England. English props seem to be no-nonsense and just do their job well which is just running hard and tackling hard. There are plenty of giant props in the English super league all over 6 foot 3, surely one of them could be as good as the Burgess brothers or Graham.

Last edited:
Aren't Garbutt and Garvet big boys?

Add to that Ofehengue and Molo who aren't small either. (not sure about Griffin)

Big doesn't necessarily mean better, especially if they run kike a pillow

I think one thing we had wrong in the past is that we didn't have impact props. We have started to rectify that with Gavet and Garbutt (Who I think could become a starting prop with more NRL experience), but we've let our workhorse props slip. We either needed to keep Hannant and let go of Kennedy, or keep Kennedy and let go of Hannant. Both players are more workhorse type props and provide little impact off the bench. By letting them both go, we longer have starting props.

Kennedy is by far the worst signing in the clubs history. He will be a reserve grader for years at the Roosters. Hala is a journeyman that showed great potential early on but just doesn't have the motor to be a great prop.

We better have a decent prop signing coming up, otherwise we're in for a long year.

I think one thing we had wrong in the past is that we didn't have impact props. We have started to rectify that with Gavet and Garbutt (Who I think could become a starting prop with more NRL experience), but we've let our workhorse props slip. We either needed to keep Hannant and let go of Kennedy, or keep Kennedy and let go of Hannant. Both players are more workhorse type props and provide little impact off the bench. By letting them both go, we longer have starting props.

I think McGuire and Parker are going to be used as starting props and in theory Ofahengaue is also a starting prop, a big guy with a big engine.

Ok. Two things.

First, Webcke was not smaller than Merrin. I've already posted Merrin's stats. Webcke was

Height

183 cm (6 ft 0 in)
Weight
112 kg (17 st 9 lb)

AS such Webcke was taller and heavier (by nearly 10 kgs).

Second, you reckon we held our own in the forwards against any of those teams. You just don't watch the game do you? Ps - your eckon we "flogged" the Dogs in round one? If one of their blokes hadn't dropped the ball over the line we'd have lost. Against Souths, they were up 16 blot and it should have been 22 blot except for the fact that one of the Burgess dropped the ball as he was going over the line. Ps In that game do you remember one of the Burgess boys scoring off the tap?

You can't have your own set of facts Mitch222

Merrins a 184cm therefor 184cm beats 183cm
Put it this way, having tall fat props aren't the end all and be all to winning a title and as pointed out, Matt Scott who is the worlds best prop is of simular size to Merrin. And the facts are very true mate, the way your are harping on is like these teams ran straight thru the middle of us and racked up massive scores which doesn't actually reflect what actually happened in the games. We held our own up the middle this year compared to other teams.

I take your point.

JSPatXj.gif

I hope Parker isn't playing prop again. Nowhere near as effective as when he was playing at lock. Ofa seems to be in the mould of a starting prop, with a high work rate, rather than an impact prop but I don't know if he'll be able to handle being thrown into the NRL at the moment, especially with the added responsibility of possibly starting or playing big minutes due to our lack of props.

Merrin would be a great addition to our team. At prop, as a starting prop. He's played his whole career except for the majority of 2014 at prop, and has played Origin at prop (with mixed results). The only reason he's been at lock for the Dragons is because they are short on workhorse forwards and stacked with impact players. We're the total opposite, so Merrin at starting prop for us would make a lot of sense.

If we don't sign another prop, Parker will be playing there for sure. With him and McGuire starting, Ofa could very easily come off the bench with Garbutt & Gavet.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Skyblues87
  • Allo
  • Galah
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • Fitzy
  • Dash
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.