Broncos release Hala and Kennedy

Read also said that Kennedy had interest from the Sharks and St George but took less money to go back to the Rorters - surely him taking less would mean he picks up that bit of the shortfall, not the Broncs?

We have plenty of good props coming through so the loss of 2 props who never delivered much isn't a major loss and can be covered. Might be freeing up cap space to sign Merrin.

I was always right about Kennedy as I've never rated him and Hala just was unable to show what he was capable off. I wish them the best in their future.

We need a forward leader. We don't have that at the moment.

Parker isn't a prop. Neither is McGuire long term.

We sure are shit don't need another backrower (such as Merrin) indeed, we probably need to get rid of some of our backrowers.

Either:

1) Bennett is uber confident in Gavet and Garbutt;

2) We have more forward muscle coming;

3) We are going to get run over next season.

If he knocked back higher offers to sign back with the roosters then the broncos should take the highest offer and subtract it from their salary they were paying him if they have to pay him the rest of his contract.

I'd be ok with us clearing space to sign Merrin, but i fear that's not who we're clearing space to sign

Don't need another backrower.

Need props.

Merrin is not a prop's arsehole.

Merrin can actually play prop and goes alright there. He has a high work rate and can offload.

Well if that's the case it is a stupid idea
a 200k saving is better than 0, which was what he was contributing on the field.

we got barba the same way, swings and roundabouts.

Trent Merrin is a bit overrated for mine, he's not a bad player but the wraps he gets would make you think he's in the elite category for forwards, which he isn't close to.

he'll go the way of most dragons forwards, good couple of years when theyre young where they inevitably play origin and test footy, and slowly regress to a shell of their former self, moving to england by the age of 30.

a 200k saving is better than 0, which was what he was contributing on the field.

we got barba the same way, swings and roundabouts.

That's a good point

Trent Merrin is a bit overrated for mine, he's not a bad player but the wraps he gets would make you think he's in the elite category for forwards, which he isn't close to.

he'll go the way of most dragons forwards, good couple of years when theyre young where they inevitably play origin and test footy, and slowly regress to a shell of their former self, moving to england by the age of 30.

He's Corey Parker without the talent.

Look, for mine we could do a lot worse than offer Dan Hunt a 1 year contract to see how his performs. Add him to the Thorn signing and it gives us a little bit extra firepower up front, at least till the rookies like Joe and James mature a bit for 2016.

two things quickly;

1. Not sad to see Hala go, and i echo the sentiments here and wish him well. The NYC props which got us to the final deserve a shot at the rotation spots now, they will learn nothing else form competing in the under 20's for mine.

2. Kennedy is a suprise; perhaps there were other factors at play here which affected his confidence last season? Perhaps the Rooster knew he actually wasnt quite the finished article and were happy to let him go? Either way, there is a hell of a prop in there somewhere and i hope soemone one day unlocks his potential?

So, who do people think is available on the market right now to repalce him? Which top line prop might Bennent be considering i wonder..?

I highly doubt we'll be paying part of Kennedy's salary.. it sounds like a pretty mutual straight release, he doesn't wanna be here, we don't want him here, and Roosters want him back.
Doesn't work that way.

He will have to get his current contract value paid. If not by the club he's going to, it will have to be by the club his current contract is with.

Same goes for Boyd coming to the Broncos at the reported value of $600K. If the Knights refuse to contribute, then the Broncos will have to pay the whole amount.

I'd rather cut my own dick off than have Dan Hunt in my team.

I know his not the greatest forward in the game, but, it would at least provide a bit of extra back-up to the young lads we've got. Plus, WB does seem to have a good relationship with him from the St George days. If Wayne can rekindle that, may be Dan can improve on his performances this season. Just sayin.

Last edited:
I'll just throw it out there, I'm pretty sure Bennett envisions Parker as a prop for the remainder of his career, as much as we don't like it. The only signings I can see potentially coming before the start of next season is Boyd, a prop and a lock.

There's not a whole lot of good quality props going around, so we may have to settle for a 30 year old journeyman or a young unproven prop.

I'd be offering money to Lloyd Perrett & Joseph Paulo personally.

8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Parker
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday (c)
13. Paulo

14. Glenn
15. Oates
16. Gavet
17. Perrett / Garbutt / Ofahengaue

Best of luck to both players on their future. I think they have a huge amount of talent and their best days as players are still to come I think.

That being said, I don't necessarily buy the idea that all Kennedy needed was a decent coach to get the best out of him. He's a front rower. His main role is laying a platform, running hard and tackling hard. It shouldn't take someone of WB's stature for him to realise that. Hala was plagued by injuries which have severely hampered his development. At times, he showed glimpses of what he can do so I applaud the club for giving him time to recover and find form. I guess though when younger players are ready for a chance tough decisions need to be made.

People concerned about next year's team getting run over by opposition teams are forgetting we were getting run over this year with Hala, Kennedy, Hannant etc...we're losing some experience but not much else.

Are there any genuine front rowers still undecided on their future? I'm not sure but none really spring to mine. It probably points to us blooding some rookies next year (which is a good thing and something Griffin didn't do often enough).

Active Now

• Browny
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Yellowfella
  • Santa
  • Scorchie
  • Cavalo
  • Harry Sack
  • Waynesaurus
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • IceWorks
  • Justwin
  • bb_gun
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • mrtij
  • Scdeac
  • Foordy
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.