Broncos relishing attack-minded approach

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
THEY have dubbed it “Broncos Footy” and Brisbane believe they have created a unique style capable of snapping the club’s 10-year NRL premiership drought.

After 20 rounds the Broncos have scored the most points (419) in the NRL and are sitting third on the ladder, positioning themselves perfectly for a tilt at the club’s seventh title and first since 2006.

It is not unfamiliar territory for seven-time premiership winning coach Wayne Bennett, who guided Brisbane to the 2015 grand final only to lose to North Queensland.

But there is a difference in the Broncos of 2017, who have abandoned trying to close out tight games by kicking the ball out of play, the controversial tactic they used during the gutting 2015 decider.

Instead there is a fresh style of footy being played at Red Hill which assistant coach Jason Demetriou has had a major role in developing.

Demetriou was an assistant to Cowboys coach Paul Green in 2015 and coached Illawarra to last year’s State Championship.

“Early in the year we identified games where we didn’t score as many points and played quite conservative,” Demetriou said.

“In the last couple of years where we’ve led early in the game or second half we’ve played really conservatively.

“We’ve gone away from trying to put the ball over the sideline and things like that. We’ve encouraged the boys to keep playing the game our way.

“We’ve probably focused a little less on the opposition in the last couple of months and really focused on what we want to do.”

At the crux of Brisbane’s revamped style is their ball-playing forwards and key playmakers.

The Broncos have a unique blend of middle forwards in Adam Blair, Josh McGuire, Sam Thaiday and Tevita Pangai Jnr, who have the ability to play expansively rather than just cart the ball.

Halves Ben Hunt and Anthony Milford have been urged to touch the ball more and the Broncos have used their fitness and mobility to shift play across the field.

“We were beaten in a grand final (2015) then two games before the grand final last year,” Demetriou said.

“It wasn’t about making massive changes. It was about utilising our strengths a bit more.

“The forwards can play with the footy and we’ve made blokes more accountable to be on the ball so we can have more opportunities to play footy rather than relying on one big play.

“It was a slow start to the year but since round six we’ve been the best attacking team in the competition which gives us a lot of confidence going into the back end of the year.”

While Hunt, Milford and fullback Darius Boyd are supreme playmakers, the emergence of hooker Andrew McCullough as an attacking threat this season has been a huge bonus for the Broncos.

McCullough averages 109 touches of the ball and four runs, making him a genuine fourth playmaking option for the Broncos.

“When I came to the club there was a lot of talk about Hunt and Milford,” Demetriou said.

“We’ve tried to take a little bit of responsibility away from those guys and make it a collective group. We’ve got Andrew McCullough, Milford, Hunt and Boyd on the same page.

“I felt Macca was 15-20 per cent below where he could be in terms of attacking. He had all the skills, it was about him backing himself to do it.

“The more he does it the more confident he gets and the players around him. He’s got a complete game and brings a lot to our footy team.”

Bench utility Benji Marshall has thrived in a new style at the Broncos following three tough seasons at the Dragons.

When the Broncos are firing, like they were in the second half of last week’s big win against Canterbury, they are one of the toughest sides in the NRL to contain.

“That second half is what we call ‘Broncos Footy’,” Marshall said.

“It’s how we want to play and not how other teams play.

“A lot of teams probably saw the Broncos as a team that does three hit-ups and a block play with Darius doing three-on-twos out the back.

“We’ve evolved attack-wise as a club. With Jason Demetriou coming on board as attack coach, he’s added a lot of other dimensions. How we can attack from different points on the field.

“The good thing for us is we’ve got strike all over the field. All across the park we’ve got a lot of potential.

“When it comes together we are capable of putting big scores together.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e/news-story/9f0316c01760d5cc9c5f3ff405754e2e

It's about time we started to use our mobile pack. We need Pangai jr on the field as much as possible he leads the way.

It's certainly been a lot better to watch than the conservative approach earlier in the season.

How good does it feel for JD to come out and say they are working on a lot of the things we have mentioned on the forum? Ie. Not shutting up shop when we are head, being more expansive in attack and using our mobile forwards more effectively.

How good does it feel for JD to come out and say they are working on a lot of the things we have mentioned on the forum? Ie. Not shutting up shop when we are head, being more expansive in attack and using our mobile forwards more effectively.

Hasn't stopped me at various points during the year wondering exactly what he's been contributing. At times our attack has been absolutely shit house.

Did they just give up on the Hunt kicking thing?

Hasn't stopped me at various points during the year wondering exactly what he's been contributing. At times our attack has been absolutely shit house.

See I was just thinking I hadn't been particularly impressed with our attack this year, but it is hard to argue with the most points scored and starting to fire at the right time of year. Suppose the weekend helped unexpectedly, but being first really snuck up on me.

See I was just thinking I hadn't been particularly impressed with our attack this year, but it is hard to argue with the most points scored and starting to fire at the right time of year. Suppose the weekend helped unexpectedly, but being first really snuck up on me.

I think most of us were surprised at that. There is a hint of us unleashing at just the right time - I think having someone like Benji in the team who is balls to the wall attack oriented has helped our mentality - along with Milf and Hunt getting a break (albeit through injury) and Kodi champing at the bit. Touch wood - it seems to be coming together for us. We've been getting through without playing our best - if we do, it's between us and the Storm.

I'm glad that's been recognised by the team as the reason they lost the 2015 GF.......Butter Fingers Ben aside.

No doubt the game was flying by them but surely they could've realised that not finding touch was happening too often. Game awareness sorely lacking

Totally agree. Couple of big wins against weak opposition have over inflated our points scored and glossed over our often disjointed attacking structure. I wouldn't be getting too carried away if I was JD. We are still a long way off where we were in 2015.

Its probably just because kahu's conversions are going through the sticks this year.

Which team has the most tries scored?

Last edited:
Totally agree. Couple of big wins against weak opposition have over inflated our points scored and glossed over our often disjointed attacking structure. I wouldn't be getting too carried away if I was JD. We are still a long way off where we were in 2015.

What was crazy about '15 was that our defence was better than our attack - which was amazing.

And what stands out as of right now is there is a real feeling of camaraderie returning to this team. We were still broken last year from the GF, and after the rat story broke our season went to shit.

Camaraderie brings defence, and good defence brings good attack.

Just to finish my 'hmm' thought earlier - I think the shake up with Hunt is exactly what this team needed. It's weird to say, but Hunt's injury and dropping might just be the catalyst for a our premiership charge.

YES. I love this approach. Lead the way for the rest of the comp and eradicate Bellyacheball. Entertaining footy is best footy, errors be damned.

Jd preaches width. It gives everyone room. Broncos had the habit of covering one third of the field. JD has got them playing with the whole field.

No doubt the game was flying by them but surely they could've realised that not finding touch was happening too often. Game awareness sorely lacking

As much as I'm loathed to think too much about that game.......but surely WB should've said something to Alfie and get a out message to the boys. "Keep playing footy......you can't wind down the clock just yet"

You been watching something else, we have the best attack in the NRL. If we get game management and defence right. We could go all the way.

Active Now

• Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.